Pioneer double din stereo needs fitting in my BMW X5 e53

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Anyone know if a double din unit will go straight in to an E53? or is it a balls like in an E46?

The only link I oculd find online said there was a bracket that needs cut, but no other info.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I actually emailed Connects2 about the autodab yesterday. I have it in my TT and thought it would be a good idea here, but wasn't sure which one as I'd want DAB and MP3.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Turns out its not as straightforward if the car has factory nav, because the HU is just a display and the cables all run to the back. So its not just a case of installing a Pioneer wiring harness etc, you need one to run to the boot apparently! Cant find anything for sale, but surely its been done numerous times before.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Obviously I'd need the relevant BM wiring adapter too, but that's what I'm looking for to take the connection from the boot.

Neither option of aftermarket or adding to OEM system is going to be cheap or easy!!

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Obviously I'd need the relevant BM wiring adapter too, but that's what I'm looking for to take the connection from the boot.

Neither option of aftermarket or adding to OEM system is going to be cheap or easy!!
you've changed maaaaaaaan, how can you say something like that without complaining? :p

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I assume no one else has done this on here? Wiring is sorted, but no one seems to do a cage for an e53 with factory fitted Nav. The E39 one looks like it will work, but Connects2 can give no guarantees.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Cutting isnt the issue! Its the fabricating of a new one!
I've had a look at the connects 2 kit and it would seem that physically, the facia will fit OK - it's just the wiring to the head unit in the boot that seems to be the problem. I can fit it for you, but it might need 2 visits if there's a problem. Did you ever get all the speakers working?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Cheers Del. Aye I think I’m going to take a punt on this one as I’m pretty sure it’s bound to fit;

Connects2 Ltd

The wiring is actually sorted, Connects2 do this;

Connects2 Ltd

Which gets the ISO and aerial up to the front, then all I’ll need is the bmw to Kenwood harness and patchlead for the steering controls. The adapters and wiring are going to cost more than the flipping head unit!

Yup ended up sending the X5 amp away to get fixed. Think I’ll probably sell the complete oem system as I reckon I’d get more £ for it second hand than I would value of it fitted in the car when the time comes to change.

Last edited:
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.