Piping an airline

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Thinking about running some pipe and a maybe 2 or 3 outlets around the garage. This is light use in domestic garage so it doesn't have to be super durable, budget is more important. Probably a Y after compressor, about 2m one way to bench and about 8m in another direction. Four drops maximum.
I see a system called Speedfit from Sealey that uses Nylon pipe; not that cheap but looks handy.
Or what's the cheapest way with steel pipe? I want to avoid bending pipes, rather fit elbows etc.
Thanks for any pointers.

brendy

RMS Regular
Thinking about running some pipe and a maybe 2 or 3 outlets around the garage. This is light use in domestic garage so it doesn't have to be super durable, budget is more important. Probably a Y after compressor, about 2m one way to bench and about 8m in another direction. Four drops maximum.
I see a system called Speedfit from Sealey that uses Nylon pipe; not that cheap but looks handy.
Or what's the cheapest way with steel pipe? I want to avoid bending pipes, rather fit elbows etc.
Thanks for any pointers.
Company I work for extrudes tubing for these kinds of jobs (beverage industry is main business though), even for our own airline systems we use our own tube with john guest fittings for 90degrees etc. Burst pressure of tubing is impressive in cool/ambient temperatures.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
I've mine done in Plastic, with push fittings.. Filter / Regulator then 5 outlets on around 10m line, very successful with no leaks

bought all the kit off ebay.. John Guest kit it was called..

IMG_0746.jpeg

Apis

RMS Regular
OP
Apis
Drives
various
Thanks @brendy @IL

The Sealey stuff I saw was "John Guest Speedfit" so I assume it's a standard air system then. I'll have a dig on ebay and see whats there.
cheers

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Thanks @brendy @IL

The Sealey stuff I saw was "John Guest Speedfit" so I assume it's a standard air system then. I'll have a dig on ebay and see whats there.
cheers

I think i paid £100roughly for fittings & pipework then about £40 for the regulator

Apis

RMS Regular
OP
Apis
Drives
various
I think i paid £100roughly for fittings & pipework then about £40 for the regulator
That's a good fit for the budget and I already have the regulator etc.

Reactions: IL

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Any local shop for compressors etc will sell nylon pipe. Usually around £10 for 30m or so of say 10mm which is plenty for an airline.

Various tees or bends etc, all push fit. Very easy stuff.

pobmk4

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy 2K
I've my workshop all done with with it, you can buy rolls of nylon air hose from the motor factors - they also stock all the push connections to make your corners etc. Fyfes definitely keep it in stock as that's where I got mine.

Apis

RMS Regular
OP
Apis
Drives
various
I'm thinking I could take the line up through the plasterboard ceiling into attic, run the main supply above the joists and then bring each drop back down through wherever they are needed. It would save me trying to run the pipe along wall where I already have wall units, shelf brackets and the man door.

Any reasons why that would be a bad idea?

purplea4T

RMS Regular
I'm thinking I could take the line up through the plasterboard ceiling into attic, run the main supply above the joists and then bring each drop back down through wherever they are needed. It would save me trying to run the pipe along wall where I already have wall units, shelf brackets and the man door.

Any reasons why that would be a bad idea?
Yeah, ease of running the line. All you need is 10mm line, p clip it to the top or the bottom of the wall. Make life easier, not harder. It also means if you have a leak, damaged pipe, faulty fitting, or want to add a water trap, it's all in the open.

Apis

RMS Regular
OP
Apis
Drives
various
Some of you mention 10mm but as far as I can see that is like the white PEX pipe for plumbing water and I hear it's not safe for compressed air. The air systems I look at seems to be mostly 15mm blue Nylon. Am I being too fussy or have got it wrong.

amcm1

RMS Regular
Im not sure about the nylon pipe and its options but the diameter of pipe can make a difference depending what you plan on using compressed air for. I mainly use my compressor for impact guns and ratchets and quickly found the basic airlines you get with 1/4 fittings was flowing nowhere near enough air to drive the guns. I took a 1/2 elbow and pipe from side of the compressor with a regualtor, 1/2 airline with pcl xf fittings as i noticed they have a larger bore and the difference is massive.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Some of you mention 10mm but as far as I can see that is like the white PEX pipe for plumbing water and I hear it's not safe for compressed air. The air systems I look at seems to be mostly 15mm blue Nylon. Am I being too fussy or have got it wrong.

BS.

I've had 10mm nylon in my garage for nearly 20 years.....and in my other garage before than for about 2-3 years before I moved

But it's readily available in 12mm too. Whatever.

Apis

RMS Regular
OP
Apis
Drives
various
Im not sure about the nylon pipe and its options but the diameter of pipe can make a difference depending what you plan on using compressed air for. I mainly use my compressor for impact guns and ratchets and quickly found the basic airlines you get with 1/4 fittings was flowing nowhere near enough air to drive the guns. I took a 1/2 elbow and pipe from side of the compressor with a regualtor, 1/2 airline with pcl xf fittings as i noticed they have a larger bore and the difference is massive.
Yes I saw the XF fittings, but I still have the ordinary ones. I suppose now would be a good time to change.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Must look at the new type of fittings, I used 22mm black poly water thick wall hose, it's rated to 150psi and I run it at around 80-100psi. I have the compressor up in the attic of the garage at the North facing gable and a 'ring main' around the eves. I'm not happy with the tees and the routing of some of the tube in the attic.
IMG_4086.JPG

pobmk4

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy 2K
The rubber airline distorts too much, the nylon is slightly more rigid and holds the shape better.

You can get 8mm,10mm and 12mm nylon pipe for air brake systems as I previously mentioned. Unless you are running high pressure air guns there is no need for 15mm or bigger. My last place I ran 10mm everywhere, now I have 8mm (locks on the scissor lift) and 10mm for the airline reel.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular

The standard 1/4 PCL fittings should be fine. Everything in our factory uses 1/4 and it’s 100% although it’s a 10 bar system and feed by 1 and a 1/4” ring main

amcm1

RMS Regular
The standard 1/4 PCL fittings should be fine. Everything in our factory uses 1/4 and it’s 100% although it’s a 10 bar system and feed by 1 and a 1/4” ring main

Yeah anywhere ive worked has just used the 1/4 fittings as well so i thought i would get away with it at home but wasn't the case even on a 1/2 gun. My 150l compressor has i think a 1/4 outlet into the regulator then a 1/4 coupling for an airline so is quite restricted for hungry air tools