Plastigauge in Northern Ireland

Gaz86

RMS Regular
Anyone know where locally to Belfast (or surrounding areas) stocks Plastigauge? Can get red, blue and green easily on eBay but can't get yellow locally, only from the states (n)

sam_9n

RMS Regular
Can I ask why it has to be yellow? Red covers the majority of range yellow covers and then grey should make up the higher amount the red can’t manage.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I'd never heard of yellow so I looked it up. Am I right in thinking it's American "Plastigage" and covers 7 to 20 thou.
The UK range "Plastigauge" green also covers 7 to 20 thou.

So I guess that might be why it's hard to find in UK?

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
I wasn't aware there was a UK range and a US range with different grade's. I've already ordered red, blue and green. Probably won't need it then (y) thanks

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I wasn't aware there was a UK range and a US range with different grade's. I've already ordered red, blue and green. Probably won't need it then (y) thanks
Like I say, I'm not certain but you'll know for sure when you open the packet and look at the calibrations on it.

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
I'd never heard of yellow so I looked it up. Am I right in thinking it's American "Plastigage" and covers 7 to 20 thou.
The UK range "Plastigauge" green also covers 7 to 20 thou.

So I guess that might be why it's hard to find in UK?

Like I say, I'm not certain but you'll know for sure when you open the packet and look at the calibrations on it.

Would seem you are correct, yellow must just be an American thing

Red - .001 to .007
Blue - .004 to .010
Green - .007 to .020
Grey - .0018mm - .0045mm (not in thou)

sam_9n

RMS Regular
That grey size @Gaz86 must be a typo from wherever you got the info from. Don’t think any plastigauge goes down to 1 micron. Our tightest tolerance stuff we machine in work for a bearing fit is 3-5 microns for example.

No biggy, 0.045mm - 0.114mm is the size range I would expect it to suit if needing converted to metric.

either that or they’ve added an extra zero behind the decimal point 😂

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Screenshot_20201004-114952.jpg

It's an error in the listing, I just copied and pasted the text from there. They've added an extra 0 as you say