Plate Retention - COVID19

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
He tried doing it online to no avail hence going this route. But yes, I could and should have changed the keeper details to my name online.

Yeah sometimes it just doesn't work online to take a plate off.

To change ownership online do you have to do it as if you are trade selling a car? I looked online and after trying a few options it always pointed me to sending the V5 in the post.

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
To change ownership online do you have to do it as if you are trade selling a car? I looked online and after trying a few options it always pointed me to sending the V5 in the post.

This is what I did in June. I had the entire V5 and the online wizard tells you to send it to them. It also indicates a 6 week turnaround.

Another 2 weeks and it will have been 3 months since i sent it..... Apparently its not lost however. They are just backlogged #Becausecovid and paper V5's seem to be bottom of the pile by all accounts.

Helpfully, they couldn't give me any indication of when i could expect it either.

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
I took my plate of the JCW when I had a momentary thought about selling it and new V5 was through in a few days along with my retention cert.

soccersmyth

RMS Regular
Drives
F32+RSV1000
Why you cannot take the plate off a vehicle online is because there has been a period when the said vehicle had a period where it was neither taxed or sorned.

Something you never take into consideration when buying a vehicle if you want to then put a cherished reg onto.
Dont even know if you can check a vehicle tax history.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
5 weeks it took. Although don’t have my new V5 yet. Probably take another 5 weeks to come.

08D255AB-D17E-4AF9-BE4F-9366DBE7E73D.png
9F067A9D-025A-4785-A7DA-4E53A42CB3E8.png

My direct debit for this months tax on the Jetta just came out too, raging as I’ve been looking to SORN it for a couple of weeks

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Having an absolute nightmare with this crap tbh, got the log book of the new car back all in my name with the previous owners reg etc, tried to retain the plate online and it just says no and that I've to do it all by post. Will be months before I can get his plate back to him and god knows how long before I can actually get my own plate on 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: Ben

Modmedia

RMS Regular
Drives
Tesla M3P
Having an absolute nightmare with this crap tbh, got the log book of the new car back all in my name with the previous owners reg etc, tried to retain the plate online and it just says no and that I've to do it all by post. Will be months before I can get his plate back to him and god knows how long before I can actually get my own plate on 🤦‍♂️

It means there has been a gap in the Tax of the car. That's why you can't do it online. I hate this crap, happens stuff of mine all the time.

When it's sent it manually they "check" it then just issue a retention anyway, I've never once had them come back and say oh it wasn't taxed for 3 months of your ownership you owe us etc. So it's pointless! I wish their system would just do it online the first time and stop their ****ing about.

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
I need to take a cherished registration off my car and onto retention, and then put a different cherished registration (currently on retention) on the car. I'll be doing it all online.

Is it correct that I must wait on the new V5 coming back before I can put the 'new' cherished reg on, or can any fast moves be worked?

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
I need to take a cherished registration off my car and onto retention, and then put a different cherished registration (currently on retention) on the car. I'll be doing it all online.

Is it correct that I must wait on the new V5 coming back before I can put the 'new' cherished reg on, or can any fast moves be worked?

I believe so, from memory there's numbers on the V5 that you need.