Plate Retention - COVID19

Robin_Hood

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender
Has anyone tried removing a plate from a car recently?

I have a plate I want to take off and get a new V5 issued and was wondering if anyone has had success doing this in the current times?

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
Couldn’t remove mine online for some reason
5 weeks tomorrow an plate still registered to the car

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I was ringing the DVLA yesterday to get a log book sent out. They are doing ZERO paper applications at present. Online only and she doesn’t know when they will be back to doing paper applications

bigpupcooper

RMS Regular
Drives
m135i, m40i
@saxo_man you did well to get someone, anytime i try the DVLA its a PITA to speak to anyone. Haven't been able to so far in the last 8 attempts this past week

saxo_man

RMS Regular
@saxo_man you did well to get someone, anytime i try the DVLA its a PITA to speak to anyone. Haven't been able to so far in the last 8 attempts this past week

It said about being a critical worker, so not to phone unless you are one. I got through within 2 minutes first time. They said that there would be no issues with any changes that cant be made due to CV-1 situation.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
I put a plate onto retention last week online, the new log book arrived within a few days but how do I now take the plate off retention and put it onto the next vehicle? I haven't received a V750 Certificate of Entitlement and with the DVLA being closed I can neither contact them by phone nor seem to find what I need online

Cro

RMS Regular
I put a plate onto retention last week online, the new log book arrived within a few days but how do I now take the plate off retention and put it onto the next vehicle? I haven't received a V750 Certificate of Entitlement and with the DVLA being closed I can neither contact them by phone nor seem to find what I need online

Online Rob still, you'll be asked for the code on the cert

Couldn't take my plate off online for some reason and nobody working the phones the answer machine said so had to send the paper off. Hopefully not 5+weeks (n)

Reactions: Ben

J55NI

RMS Regular
Online Rob still, you'll be asked for the code on the cert

Couldn't take my plate off online for some reason and nobody working the phones the answer machine said so had to send the paper off. Hopefully not 5+weeks (n)

They aren't processing any paper applications at present and when they do there's around 3 months of back log to work through at present first. It could be 4-6 months now for any paper applications.

Cro

RMS Regular
How/when do I get the Cert?
You would have got the reference code as soon as you took it off online on the screen. It'll be on the paper cert that gets sent out, looks to be a week or two for online processing going by the above

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Bump, does anyone know if the Cherished Transfer department are back to work yet? I had to send a paper application as it couldn't be done online and wondering now how long it might take.. already been 3-4 weeks

RevT

RMS Regular
They’re back to completing them, however a mate’s only came back about 3 weeks ago that he sent back in April.

Reactions: Ben

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
I sent a form away a few weeks ago to get J3TUH taken off as it wouldn’t work online. I’m now looking to SORN it and can’t. Rang the DVLA the other day and they were less than helpful. Quite frustrating paying £30 a month for a car I don’t use and not being able to SORN it.

Cro

RMS Regular
Bump, does anyone know if the Cherished Transfer department are back to work yet? I had to send a paper application as it couldn't be done online and wondering now how long it might take.. already been 3-4 weeks
Still waiting from 6th June for me (n)

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Heres my situation. Bought a car with a cherished reg on it, he had started the process (paperwork route) of removing the plate before sale, this as above was taking forever.

Decided then to cancel that and sell me the car with the plate and we agreed once sorted I would return his plate to him (at his cost)

So, I'm currently waiting on the log book (more than 2 weeks) with the car and plate in my name to arrive.

So, I need this dumbed down here...

When I do eventually receive the V5 how do I get the cherished plate returned to its 'owner'?

Will I then need to get another new log book sent with the plate they assign?

Or can I go straight ahead and put my own personal reg on the car?

I can see this taking another while, but for now I've got free car tax 😂

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Heres my situation. Bought a car with a cherished reg on it, he had started the process (paperwork route) of removing the plate before sale, this as above was taking forever.

Decided then to cancel that and sell me the car with the plate and we agreed once sorted I would return his plate to him (at his cost)

So, I'm currently waiting on the log book (more than 2 weeks) with the car and plate in my name to arrive.

When I do eventually receive the V5 how do I get the cherished plate returned to its 'owner'?

If he went the paper route to change ownership it may take a while. Took me 5 weeks I think for the V5 to arrive for the bike

When you get the new V5 in your name go online and search plate transfer or whatever it is

Remove the plate from your car at a cost of £80 I think. Have himself pay you the fee and give him the certificate be it in paper or screen shot of the email it whatever

Should be fairly simple

Might be able to remove his plate online using the green slip you took from his v5 🤔

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S

Once you get the V5, visit here Private (personalised) number plates and follow the Take a Number Plate Off Online instructions. Put his details in as the nominee.

You will then be sent a new V5 with the previous reg the car was on (or a new plate). Once that arrives you can then put your plate on.

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Once you get the V5, visit here Private (personalised) number plates and follow the Take a Number Plate Off Online instructions. Put his details in as the nominee.

You will then be sent a new V5 with the previous reg the car was on (or a new plate). Once that arrives you can then put your plate on.

Great, will likely be a while before my plate goes on then but sure that's alright.