Plug lead keeps coming off plug!!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Adam

RMS Regular
The lead for plug number 3 keeps coming off on my GSI. Its really annoying as it only happens If I give it full throttle and then when I go to use any throttle again it misses like mad. Pop the lead back on and its fine until I floor it again!

Ive checked the little metal catch inside the lead tip which catches on to the top of the plug but it looks just the same as the others and is fine.
Any ideas why it keeps coming off?!?!

Dermot

Did you try a plug lead from the Cav SRI or the Nova Turbo? Did it keep coming off?

Adam

RMS Regular
OP
Adam
Not really, no more than normal. The leads are all held in place too by clips at the side of the rocker cover so they dont move.

Adam

RMS Regular
OP
Adam
What causes it or how can I prevent it?

Ive cut a little grove out of the little rubber flaps around the leads to let any pressure out and hopefully prevent the lead from being pushed out of the hole.

Dermot

S_Gault said:
poor insulation on the lead, spark takes easiest route to earth.

Steven

And this causes his Plug lead to fall off???? (Ya learn something new everyday!)

S_Gault

RMS Regular
im reading that a push on stops it for a while... but i bet that id hear it jump occasionally.

Having seen this more times than enough I d hazard a guess that this is the problem,

unless of course the lead is totally falling off... but then I dont think hed have posted about that as its such an obvious fix.

Dermot

Adam said:
The lead for plug number 3 keeps coming off on my GSI.

Adam... You Spark pulg is on a diet, and its too skinny now for the plug lead to fit over it ... (Kinda like a size 10 Woman trying to wear Size 16 Clothes)... So what should she do? Get some "Tighter" clothes ....
Now what should you do ??

Trying to make it Simple for you to understand here!

Adam

RMS Regular
OP
Adam
LOL, I've cut a couple it tiny groves in the rubber "rings" that seal the lead with the hole.
There are two and they are only about 2mm in size but they seem to be doing the job and the lead is staying on.

However, the car is still hesitating unless you give full throttle. It doesnt have any response when the throttle is in the low to middle position.
Some times when you floor it absolutely nothing happens at all for a second or two and then it just goes again!
Very strange.

Looks like I may have to fork out for a new set of leads. The ones that are on the car are the original BERU ones which according to the guys on MIG who have 200-300+ engines are better than any of the aftermarket ones.
The only snag is that they cost £140 and very few places do them anymore.

slinky2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Fiesta ST
Adam said:
LOL, I've cut a couple it tiny groves in the rubber "rings" that seal the lead with the hole.
There are two and they are only about 2mm in size but they seem to be doing the job and the lead is staying on.

However, the car is still hesitating unless you give full throttle. It doesnt have any response when the throttle is in the low to middle position.
Some times when you floor it absolutely nothing happens at all for a second or two and then it just goes again!
Very strange.

Looks like I may have to fork out for a new set of leads. The ones that are on the car are the original BERU ones which according to the guys on MIG who have 200-300+ engines are better than any of the aftermarket ones.

I used to get than my nissian almera all the time but I crashed it before I figured out what it was, lol

Dermot

Adam said:

Very strange.

Doesnt sound like a Plug lead problem the Hesitation...Not sayin its not, I'd be looking elsewhere for the problem though. Have seen alot of AFM's causing that.. Have a Redtop at the minute in the Garage with a ****ed AFM Wont go with it connected, But goes and splutters with it unplugged.
Get a **** set of Plug leads for £20 if you cant afford decent ones at the minute, Atleast they wont fall off every now and then.

Adam

RMS Regular
OP
Adam
The leads are staying on now that I've cut the little groove in the rubbers. Just need to find out whats causing the hesitation now.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.