Podcast Interview: Robin McGrath Alpine F1 Engineer

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
Not my usual place to post the podcast but I think it might be of interest to a few, especially with the F1 following within the motorsports section of the forum.

Robin is a local (and past forum member) who has worked for Lotus, Red Bull and now Alpine as a composite design engineer so it was great to get chatting to him and have him actually educate us lot on the sport and a lot of the behind the scenes happenings.

Check it out on any of the links below

SoundCloud

Spotify

Apple Podcasts

Google Podcasts

Screenshot_20220106-080435__01.jpg

Screenshot_20220106-080441__01.jpg

Screenshot_20220106-080443__01.jpg

Thanks,
Connor

Some of the older members might remember his Vento on the forum which he did the Scally Rally in
Screenshot_20220106-080445__01.jpg

Screenshot_20220106-080446__01.jpg

Screenshot_20220106-080449__01.jpg

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
not a big F1 fan but can't wait to get listening into this.

I remember the vento too - that was class, and his E30 is sublime on those wheels

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
OP
natogreen16v
Drives
Stuff
not a big F1 fan but can't wait to get listening into this.

I remember the vento too - that was class, and his E30 is sublime on those wheels
I was kinda worried that would put some people off but I think the fact the 3 of us are fairly green to F1 should help there. I've had a number of people say they were gona give it a miss for the same reason but were glad they didn't so that's something at least lol.

Yeah it was only when we sat down to chat we worked out he owned the Vento, had been on the NI Euro forum, we'd a ball of mutual friends etc. Really nice guy.

The E30 is class. I love the wheels and should be nice with the 2.8 from the E36. Not what I expected an F1 engineer to have lol

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Started listening to this and it's really good. It's great to hear about a local lad doing well in this field. Well done Robin!

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Robin is a Great lad, i raced NI7's with him 10years ago! He has definitely followed his Dreams! Must get a listen to this..

e320mark

RMS Regular
This is something that my 13 yr old is really interested in! Is there anyway I can get him in contact with Robin for a chat or something? He just wants to do something motorsport related and I think he would have the capacity to go down this route!

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Robin is a Great lad, i raced NI7's with him 10years ago! He has definitely followed his Dreams! Must get a listen to this..
Hard to believe that's 10 years ago (actually it's 11 since we started!)! Back then he was just heading over to go to uni - great to see him doing so well. Started to listen to it but haven't got finished yet.

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
OP
natogreen16v
Drives
Stuff
Started listening to this and it's really good. It's great to hear about a local lad doing well in this field. Well done Robin!
Yeah as much as I love having different people on, I love it more if you can get someone local.

Really enjoyed that, particularly the part where Robin was coming through the airport with the front wings 😂. Love learning about the home grown talent representing NI, brilliant.
Yeah some money to be thrown around by baggage handlers 😂

I never actually twigged he'd have raced with you although I did see you as a mutual friend on his Facebook so makes sense lol.

This is something that my 13 yr old is really interested in! Is there anyway I can get him in contact with Robin for a chat or something? He just wants to do something motorsport related and I think he would have the capacity to go down this route!
This is something he touches on a bit in the interview. Basically as well as having the degree part of it, going to a Motorsport related uni in England to do a master's helps a lot and so does having experience racing or working on teams even at a lower/local level.

Tbh I'd be surprised if you reached out and he didn't give you some kinda advice as he is really civil. He's on IG as @robin33 so I'd just drop him a message.

Hard to believe that's 10 years ago (actually it's 11 since we started!)! Back then he was just heading over to go to uni - great to see him doing so well. Started to listen to it but haven't got finished yet.
It's probably 10yrs or so from I last even seen you in person Paul 😂

e320mark

RMS Regular
Yeah as much as I love having different people on, I love it more if you can get someone local.

Yeah some money to be thrown around by baggage handlers 😂

I never actually twigged he'd have raced with you although I did see you as a mutual friend on his Facebook so makes sense lol.

This is something he touches on a bit in the interview. Basically as well as having the degree part of it, going to a Motorsport related uni in England to do a master's helps a lot and so does having experience racing or working on teams even at a lower/local level.

Tbh I'd be surprised if you reached out and he didn't give you some kinda advice as he is really civil. He's on IG as @robin33 so I'd just drop him a message.

It's probably 10yrs or so from I last even seen you in person Paul 😂
I’ve tried @robin33 & what comes up doesn’t look like him! Any other avenues which I could try to contact him on?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
We raced that Vento with our Scally Rally Passat estate up round Cork during the event. Was pretty evenly matched lol

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
OP
natogreen16v
Drives
Stuff
i am pretty sure we have a mutual friend and have spoke to him a couple off times a few years ago is he from up round newtownabbey ish area?
I'm not actually sure. I thought he said Whitehead but could be wrong

Is this the son of Mike, who does a lot of official duties in local motorsport?

Also, that Vento lives near me.
The Vento still lives G! Mike could be his dad. He said his dad did scrutineering at events.

We raced that Vento with our Scally Rally Passat estate up round Cork during the event. Was pretty evenly matched lol
I think he said it was an 1800 8v so potentially the same engine lol