Police officer suing victims of car theft for personal injury

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
I'm honestly not having a go at you @ Eager and I do agree that the training given doesn't cover half what you need to know, mine was a good while ago and I was so unprepared for "real life" it was untrue; scenarios thrown at you in training are so tightly controlled they don't seem real when you look back. Guy I know runs quite an active blog - posted one of his links above - he did this one too. I expected it to be a piss take but even I found it pretty rough.
#WeAreYou

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
I'm honestly not having a go at you @ Eager and I do agree that the training given doesn't cover half what you need to know, mine was a good while ago and I was so unprepared for "real life" it was untrue; scenarios thrown at you in training are so tightly controlled they don't seem real when you look back. Guy I know runs quite an active blog - posted one of his links above - he did this one too. I expected it to be a piss take but even I found it pretty rough.
#WeAreYou

My mate genuinely believes it's the best force in the world and best training in the world. I just sniff and agree. Lol. That's the brainwashing.... hopefully to distract the fact your now looking under your car every morning and can't tell people what your job is and risk getting shot daily... for a mighty 17 or 18 grand a year. Lolol

purplea4T

RMS Regular
He'll need to open his eyes very quickly! Unfortunately there's not the experience for a lot of new recruits to learn the "right" way and he'll sink or swim! 17/18k plus claims?!Wouldn't get out of bed!

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
He'll need to open his eyes very quickly! Unfortunately there's not the experience for a lot of new recruits to learn the "right" way and he'll sink or swim! 17/18k plus claims?!Wouldn't get out of bed!

I mean in around that salary I think ? I'm not sure I just know it's a crap wage for what it is. So I guess at times it's hardly a surprise cops start holding there necks in a We bump.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
My mate genuinely believes it's the best force in the world and best training in the world. I just sniff and agree. Lol. That's the brainwashing.... hopefully to distract the fact your now looking under your car every morning and can't tell people what your job is and risk getting shot daily... for a mighty 17 or 18 grand a year. Lolol

Think getting the car stolen was a better alternative to bombed IMO ...

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
I had a colleague who got selected to join the PSNI. During the recruitment process I got lots of updates from her but I got the impression there was no actual interview per se. I asked her if at any stage was she get asked the question "why do you want to become a police officer?" Her reply was "No. Why would they want to ask that anyway?"

Hmmm. Anyway, at least two guys got booted of her course for having criminal convictions, one of whom picked theirs up during training.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
The News said personal injury claims and the letter he had said he was summonsed to court for £10k on each claim(which is bound to affect his renewal prices) If it's insurance then why does he have to go to court. I'd say he's been through enough.
I'm not saying the officers weren't injured and not entitled to compensation at all but pursue the 2 c***s that robbed him and rammed the police. The again there's probably no point in that as they will have **** all anyway and are more than likely already sponging off the system and pleading poverty.

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
If the driver of the stolen vehicle isn't caught it's the MIB pays, if the driver is caught the owner of the vehicles insurance will have to pay. The insurance company can attempt to recover costs from the thief which will all likelihood result in nothing.

This system is covered under the Road Traffic Act and is essentially to ensure that innocent parties were covered by insurance as beforehand people who were hurt were left with no route to be compensated. As to why police can't claim of their work is a different story but if you are driving a work van on a job and someone hits you, who do you claim off, bet it's not your work.

Plenty of insurance policies protect you from being affected by claims in this situation. If you never read or ask what you are covered for or go for the cheapest bargain bucket insurance you'll get bargain bucket cover. The ones that protect you are usually very little extra. I'm amazed at people who only consider price and not what they are actually covered for.

If you think insurance companies should do this and that or challenge stuff by in large they can't, they're bound by laws and courts. If you think it's wrong go start a petition or do something to change it, sovereign power to the people. (or instead just keep ranting on a forum about how everything in the world is wrong)

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Into another victim of what? Their car has been stolen, they have insurance in place and they have lost the no claims no matter what. Why is it different because their stolen car hits a police car? Because someone is doing their job they can't or shouldn't be financially compensated for any loss or injury?

So you think the victim should be targeted instead of the criminal.

WOW. That's pretty disgusting. Plain and simple. Maybe we should all throw in a claim too, sure they're already going to be shafted by their insurance, may as well get as many involved in the scam as possible

purplea4T

RMS Regular
If the driver of the stolen vehicle isn't caught it's the MIB pays, if the driver is caught the owner of the vehicles insurance will have to pay. The insurance company can attempt to recover costs from the thief which will all likelihood result in nothing.

This system is covered under the Road Traffic Act and is essentially to ensure that innocent parties were covered by insurance as beforehand people who were hurt were left with no route to be compensated. As to why police can't claim of their work is a different story but if you are driving a work van on a job and someone hits you, who do you claim off, bet it's not your work.

Plenty of insurance policies protect you from being affected by claims in this situation. If you never read or ask what you are covered for or go for the cheapest bargain bucket insurance you'll get bargain bucket cover. The ones that protect you are usually very little extra. I'm amazed at people who only consider price and not what they are actually covered for.

If you think insurance companies should do this and that or challenge stuff by in large they can't, they're bound by laws and courts. If you think it's wrong go start a petition or do something to change it, sovereign power to the people. (or instead just keep ranting on a forum about how everything in the world is wrong)
Don't post anything that doesn't agree with Stevie, no matter if you're right, you won't be. Everything you've said is correct, thank you.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Don't post anything that doesn't agree with Stevie, no matter if you're right, you won't be. Everything you've said is correct, thank you.

And once again I ask you a simple question.

So you think it's fine to sue the victim of a crime instead of the criminal ?

That has nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing with anyone. It's a simple question, largely about morals. And you are very correct, there are f**kers everywhere in this world, exactly what this thread is about.

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Surely as an employer the psni need employees liability insurance. Ffs I can't get on to a building site without liability insurance so how come they don't have it for employees getting injured in the line of their work

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
Surely as an employer the psni need employees liability insurance. Ffs I can't get on to a building site without liability insurance so how come they don't have it for employees getting injured in the line of their work

I agree, it is the last thing some one needs after their car has been stolen, I'd be pissed if it happened to me. That said the same law will cover your work, if you get hurt on the site your work insurance pays. If you get hurt in an RTA from a stolen car whilst you are driving on work time the MIB or other cars insurance will apply.

It's a crappy law in circumstances like this but its there because if it wasn't it would leave many others in circumstances were they would get nothing even when left with a life changing situation from something that wasn't their fault. It's the insurance company that pays but everyone hates them anyway, the person is NOT being sued but hey that sounds way more dramatic. The only time the person will be left out of pocket is if they have bought crappy insurance which tbf is easy done if you take no time to query what you are buying online.

Personally I think it should all come out of MIB, insurance companies still pay but it saves the double anguish to the victim of the original crime.

RickyB

RMS Regular
Drives
E3VO X
So you think the victim should be targeted instead of the criminal.

WOW. That's pretty disgusting. Plain and simple. Maybe we should all throw in a claim too, sure they're already going to be shafted by their insurance, may as well get as many involved in the scam as possible

@purplea4T he does have a point. I can understand innocent bystanders etc being hit by a stolen car and being compensated by the owners insurance but I would have thought the Police who are carrying out their job in trying to catch these criminals would have some sort of employers liability insurance if injured at work....Would leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth.
An other employer would have this in place for their employee's by law. Guess maybe one rule for some then one for another.

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
Cops are the most crooked people you will ever meet! Sure didn't a whole generation of future bacon rustlers get caught cheating on their entrance exam not long ago & they got to re-sit instead of being banned from applying for life.

I think this is a massively underestimted occurrence. how many recruits got through without being caught? Mate of mine joined the police ten or more years ago and he has, objectively speaking, become nothing but a complete self righteous p***k. I'm not saying the police training did it but he definitely isn't the same personality in any way shape or form. Whether it was the training, the job, or dealing with the scum of the earth on a daily basis I can't say.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
If they are claiming against his motor insurance, why does he himself have to go to court? Surely its the insurance company who should be dealing with it?

scub

Banned
Ah, the holier than thou RMS police haters. I can't see anywhere that states the police rammed or were in any way responsible for this collision except for doing what in reality is a thankless job. Police guidelines are VERY firm in relation to what can and can't be done in terms of pursuit containment and management. If this was an ambulance crew or fire appliance that had been hit, there'd be an outcry from the public, the media and what passes for political parties and there'd be no issue with any insurance claim, but the peelers?! Na, f**k them, they get enough.
I'm hoping @Broomy post was taking the piss, and as for Stevie, well, he can always do a better job, give better advice, know more than anyone else.
But ask them to do the jobs they are so incensed about? Wouldn't last a day.
Going back a few years I worked with 2 guys who as Full Time Reserve guys didn't get the 3 year contract renewed due to illness/attendance. Common theme? Both were in vehicles hit by stolen cars and were truly unable to work because of this, but the usual suspects on here by their posts, seem to think it's fine they have no financial recompense.
Also if I remember correctly, the PSNI, like most forces under the Crown, self insure.
These claims have being going on for years, they aren't anything new, must be a quiet news day.
what you;re saying is in fact the point i think folks are trying to make.
if the guys (cops) were injured surely they must be claiming off their own employer's (psni) insurance ?
it's the fact that they threw in claims against the victim who's car was stolens's insurance that people are annoyed about.
because i'm sure we all agree that that doesn't seem right or fair !

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Perhaps the PSNI insurance wont cover this as technically the PSNI isn't at fault. They provided all the eqpt necessary for them to do their job safely (I assume). It was a third party that caused them injury so its the third party's insurance that ends up with the bill. I agree the scrotes who stole the car are at fault and my solution would be to sell their organs (as many as possible) to fund the claim.

brendy

RMS Regular
I think this is a massively underestimted occurrence. how many recruits got through without being caught? Mate of mine joined the police ten or more years ago and he has, objectively speaking, become nothing but a complete self righteous p***k. I'm not saying the police training did it but he definitely isn't the same personality in any way shape or form. Whether it was the training, the job, or dealing with the scum of the earth on a daily basis I can't say.
Whats even more corrupt is that one of the recruits in the exams is the offspring of a rather high up Officer and they took the bullet which softened the blow for the entire class. Didnt get kicked out neither.

Cess

RMS Staff
PSNI do not have insurance. As already stated in this thread, all crown bodies "self insure."

The whole argument is pretty redundant to be honest; regardless of the route the officers use, the public will foot the bill. Even if they could pursue the PSNI for damages, the money to pay any claim would come from the PSNI resources.

It's also a nonsense saying that officers should expect to get hurt in the line of duty. Everyone, regardless of their job has the right to expect that at the end of a days work they won't be in hospital.

Making the criminals pay for the injuries is a noble idea. However, I suspect, given that they were stealing cars in the first place, they haven't a pot worth piddling in.

brendy

RMS Regular
It's also a nonsense saying that officers should expect to get hurt in the line of duty. Everyone, regardless of their job has the right to expect that at the end of a days work they won't be in hospital.
I have to say that the opposite is true too, they should expect that harm may come their way at times as its a hazard of the job. I have been driving 20 years and never caused an accident, still doesn't stop me from being insured at all times as you have to expect the unexpected, as we continually get told.

RevT

RMS Regular
And once again I ask you a simple question.

So you think it's fine to sue the victim of a crime instead of the criminal?

This has probably been attempted already, whoever their solicitors are would have queried all this before going down the route of gaining injury compensation through the victims insurance.

It's what insurance is there for at the end of the day. If you were hit by an stolen vehicle while driving your work vehicle, you would be claiming personal injury through the victims insurance and you would then become a victim too. The police in this matter are in the exact same situation. Although they got injured in an attempt to stop the person, it was not their fault or that of the PSNI's, so how can it possibly be expected that someone not at fault (the PSNI) pay?

I can understand fully where you're coming from but it's the way the insurance companies work that have decided what happens with this case, not the police going out of their way to target the victim like you are making out.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.