Police officer suing victims of car theft for personal injury

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cess

RMS Staff
I have to say that the opposite is true too, they should expect that harm may come their way at times as its a hazard of the job.
Well, I hope to be part of a society where policemen (and all public servants) can do their job without fear of getting harmed.

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
I have to say that the opposite is true too, they should expect that harm may come their way at times as its a hazard of the job. I have been driving 20 years and never caused an accident, still doesn't stop me from being insured at all times as you have to expect the unexpected, as we continually get told.

Huh?
They are insured, car insurance will take precedence in an RTA in any job including everyone on here who has a problem with them claiming.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Whats even more corrupt is that one of the recruits in the exams is the offspring of a rather high up Officer and they took the bullet which softened the blow for the entire class. Didnt get kicked out neither.

They were in the same recruitment year, but not the class caught "cheating". Apparently.

Last edited:

Broomy

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk5 GTi
I wouldn't waste my time @Cess. Police caught cheating still get into the force. Look at politicians in this country, look at what they get away with.

Anarchy FTW

scub

Banned
This has probably been attempted already, whoever their solicitors are would have queried all this before going down the route of gaining injury compensation through the victims insurance.

It's what insurance is there for at the end of the day. If you were hit by an stolen vehicle while driving your work vehicle, you would be claiming personal injury through the victims insurance and you would then become a victim too. The police in this matter are in the exact same situation. Although they got injured in an attempt to stop the person, it was not their fault or that of the PSNI's, so how can it possibly be expected that someone not at fault (the PSNI) pay?

I can understand fully where you're coming from but it's the way the insurance companies work that have decided what happens with this case, not the police going out of their way to target the victim like you are making out.
like the bloke who's car was stolen is expected to pay the cops compensationitis claims you mean?
& it's not what insurance is for at all. the guy insured himself & the car, not the psni.
& also to say we all pay for it might be technically correct but you can't tell us it's fair to the bloke who may well not be able to afford to reinsure his car next year through absolutely no fault of his own & due in a large part to 3 cops putting in whippers & behaving towards the insurance system in a similar matter to low life scumbags everywhere who abuse that system.
sorry it'll still be wrong no matter what spin is put on it & it needs changed asap

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
like the bloke who's car was stolen is expected to pay the cops compensationitis claims you mean?
& it's not what insurance is for at all. the guy insured himself & the car, not the psni.
& also to say we all pay for it might be technically correct but you can't tell us it's fair to the bloke who may well not be able to afford to reinsure his car next year through absolutely no fault of his own & due in a large part to 3 cops putting in whippers & behaving towards the insurance system in a similar matter to low life scumbags everywhere who abuse that system.
sorry it'll still be wrong no matter what spin is put on it & it needs changed asap

The thing is, it will probably never be changed, the government love the corruption, the scam, the immorality of it all.

And what if the vehicle owner was not claiming for the theft, what if they had only 3rd party etc ? No matter what way some immoral people try and twist it, the criminal should be the one targeted for any compensation. End of story. A victim of a crime in no shape or form should ever be targeted, but it seems they are here because they are an easy target. It's so easy to make claims both legit and false and they know insurance will just throw money at them. And the biggest losers are the honest people who try and abide by the corrupt system

The entire insurance system is a disgrace.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I had a colleague who got selected to join the PSNI. During the recruitment process I got lots of updates from her but I got the impression there was no actual interview per se. I asked her if at any stage was she get asked the question "why do you want to become a police officer?" Her reply was "No. Why would they want to ask that anyway?"

Hmmm. Anyway, at least two guys got booted of her course for having criminal convictions, one of whom picked theirs up during training.

It's the very first question they ask before candidates even go to the initial assessment.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I agree 100% chase the ******* criminals for the compo, if they cant pay then give them a harsher punishment.....is that likely to happen in the UK? Not a chance its all too easy for them.

RevT

RMS Regular
I agree 100% chase the ******* criminals for the compo, if they cant pay then give them a harsher punishment.....is that likely to happen in the UK? Not a chance its all too easy for them.

Where do people get compensation for their injuries from then?

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Reference the whole cheating thing. I've been told it wasn't full on answers wrote up your arm, the class were gave old exam papers to revise from. That's fairly standard practice in many courses. But the old exam papers were not official training material and someone got nickers in a twist, it was also going on for many years not just this year

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Reference the whole cheating thing. I've been told it wasn't full on answers wrote up your arm, the class were gave old exam papers to revise from. That's fairly standard practice in many courses. But the old exam papers were not official training material and someone got nickers in a twist, it was also going on for many years not just this year

I heard a variation of this, but pretty much the same thing. Revising the answers and not revising the laws. But it came to a head when a struggling recruit decided instead of learning the book, she'd tout everyone in and try and secure her place.

Apparently.

RevT

RMS Regular

Yes, he insured his car and himself but that's to cover if he or his car is involved in anything else. It's because of how insurance companies work that this happened, not the police. Surely you can grasp that? How can you say those persons involved aren't injured?

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
What would people say if a car was stolen and driven through a wall? Who should pay for the wall? Surely the car insurance, no?

Was the guy not being brought in as a witness, with it being his car and all, rather than to be actually sued?

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
What would people say if a car was stolen and driven through a wall? Who should pay for the wall? Surely the car insurance, no?

Was the guy not being brought in as a witness, with it being his car and all, rather than to be actually sued?

That's what is unclear to me, the news report said he was summonsed for 3 personal injury claims. The devil is in the detail really.
I still think the ones who stole the car should be pursued first (they may have been, but id doubt it, take the easy route first)

scub

Banned
Yes, he insured his car and himself but that's to cover if he or his car is involved in anything else. It's because of how insurance companies work that this happened, not the police. Surely you can grasp that? How can you say those persons involved aren't injured?
I'm not saying they weren't injured. I'm saying they shouldn't be able to punish the victim twice by all claiming off his insurance. if they were legitimately hurt doing their job they should be claiming off their employers insurance full stop.

RevT

RMS Regular
I'm not saying they weren't injured. I'm saying they shouldn't be able to punish the victim twice by all claiming off his insurance. if they were legitimately hurt doing their job they should be claiming off their employers insurance full stop.

Not when their employer was not to blame?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.