Police seize 120 sports cars during Eurorally 'race' through Germany

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Out of curiosity I’d love a listing of the defects, in the German polices eyes.

This is another reason why I fitted eibach springs to a lot of my cars over the years, they are tuv approved so therefore you would assume a higher quality. Same with kw suspension etc

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Raceland suspension is tuv approved as well, so I've a certain degree of cynicism with that argument. Get what you mean though, and likes of eibach and KW are quality items.

Gemma

RMS Regular
@big_pete apparently because ..... Of the lettering on his number plates.... totally illegal lol
Edit: mean the spacing of the lettering. (Don't know how true this is)

Last edited:

Ace_vaux

RMS Regular
Drives
Mustang
The root issue is they are subject to the laws of the land they are driving in. No matter if the police were heavy handed or not.
Yes it is harsh but this isn’t exactly a surprise!! Very naive if they say ‘oh we didn’t know’

Anyone with half an ounce of planning would have read up on the countries they were to drive through before going.

What’s to happen if they have an accident on those roads? Are they covered insurance-wise?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Ouch. What a ballache for them. Presumably they're young and naive as I'm sure we all were and didn't think the 5-0 would hammer them like that. Presumably they'll have to recover the cars and/or get them back to roadworthy standard before bringing them home. Liable for storage and recovery fees, onward travel costs, fines, recovery from Germany and the hassle of it all too. Quite a hard lesson 🤮

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
Getting back to the original post that is nothing to do with modifications, it reads to me like the Germans have lifted 120 (normal/super) cars and are now deciding whether these folk were part of an illegal race through their country.

I imagine there could be some fairly serious consequences for drivers if they deem that to be the case.

Guess the moral of the story is don't rake through Germany in a stickered up car as part of a pack!

sam_9n

RMS Regular
404ED641-A998-4450-A5F4-6F13085B4B86.jpeg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Guess the moral of the story is don't rake through Germany in a stickered up car as part of a pack!

Don't do anything in Germany that breaks any rule, whether written or not! Period.

Walk against a red light and you might as well have murdered someone, lol. And that's not a joke!

They really love rules. The only thing they love more than rules is enforcing rules. They really get off on that.

Switzerland and Norway are the same.

When in Rome and all that, always watch what the locals do and don't do anything else.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Getting back to the original post that is nothing to do with modifications, it reads to me like the Germans have lifted 120 (normal/super) cars and are now deciding whether these folk were part of an illegal race through their country.

I imagine there could be some fairly serious consequences for drivers if they deem that to be the case.

But it says "unrestricted" so what law have they broken?? Speeding?

Nickyyy

RMS Regular
Drives
RS6 / DC2
There has to be more to this story, has to be.

I took part in a rally in Germany in 2016 and we have no problems with the German peelers at all, we even got pulled over, and were hammering it on the auto bhans

And it was a non event.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Don't do anything in Germany that breaks any rule, whether written or not! Period.

Walk against a red light and you might as well have murdered someone, lol. And that's not a joke!

They really love rules. The only thing they love more than rules is enforcing rules. They really get off on that.

Switzerland and Norway are the same.

When in Rome and all that, always watch what the locals do and don't do anything else.
When i was in Krakow the road outside our hotel was a big wide 4 lane road with a 2 way tram down the middle. To get across there were like 6 pedestrian crossing lights and the timing was really annoying with a big wait at some which made you miss the next set.
If the coast was clear , i just dandered on accross for 3 of the 4 days i was there. On the last day we were going on a trip and the coach was picking us up accross the road. There was a couple of English women going from our hotel too and as i went to do my usual and cross over the ladies said if you get seen doing that it's a big deal and I'm pretty sure she said they fine you !

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Raceland suspension is tuv approved as well, so I've a certain degree of cynicism with that argument. Get what you mean though, and likes of eibach and KW are quality items.

Just because an individual part is TUV approved, does not mean everyone will install, or use that part correctly and safely.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Basically dangerous driving and generally being a bit of an eejit.

Just because it's "derestricted" doesn't mean you can do whatever you want.

Driving at speed on the autobahn comes with huge responsibility for safety and common sense. They don't take it lightly even one little bit.

It's not a race track, nor Mario Kart.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
He's been a bit of an eejit given that it's not restrained to driving at that height! Scirocco thing with bolt on arches lupo look very tame tbh.