Police seize 120 sports cars during Eurorally 'race' through Germany

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Wow, that's not good at all!
When we were on the euro trip last year I think there were 3 cars dine for undertaking at speed, but none for speeding or racing. Saying that there were only 50 of us, not 120.

Hopefully they get away with paying fines and get the cars back

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
What sort of manpower and resources would they need to put in to do that ?

Utterly stupid.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Just seen this, they've seized a load of sc3ne cars now. Loads of comments saying they must have really been fckin about, but I'm not sure on the truth.

Any of the boys on the VW and sc3ne forums know any more?

Screenshot_20190517-082303_Facebook.jpg

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Just seen this, they've seized a load of sc3ne cars now. Loads of comments saying they must have really been fckin about, but I'm not sure on the truth.

Any of the boys on the VW and sc3ne forums know any more?

View attachment 236219

They pulled into a service station that happened to also have a police station and got entirely ****ed over. One of the German lads I know has been advising people going to Worthersee to avoid certain parts as the German police are stopping anything looking remotely modified.

Watching some videos of it, the police have a serious attitude problem, one of the cars was getting lifted with straps onto each wheel (really) and the owner made comment on it, to be told that he made this piece of **** and to take it like a man.

Most of the cars are fairly tame tbh. Maybe a wee bit of tyre stretch going a bit far but type of thing that wouldn't bat an eyelid here.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
They pulled into a service station that happened to also have a police station and got entirely ****ed over. One of the German lads I know has been advising people going to Worthersee to avoid certain parts as the German police are stopping anything looking remotely modified.

Watching some videos of it, the police have a serious attitude problem, one of the cars was getting lifted with straps onto each wheel (really) and the owner made comment on it, to be told that he made this piece of **** and to take it like a man.

Most of the cars are fairly tame tbh. Maybe a wee bit of tyre stretch going a bit far but type of thing that wouldn't bat an eyelid here.

That is pretty bad tbh, like you say what can you even do in that situation? I knew the Swiss were bad, never thought the Germans woukd adopt the same attitude!

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Wheels outside the arches, stretched tyres and ****ed suspension (the Merc is static).

Whatever your views on Sc3ne stuff, you have to be thick to take anything like that near Germany.
Imagine a car with chopped springs or scrubbing tyres flat out on the Autobahn :neutral:

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Hell slap it up them imo. No TUV approved mods and cars not fit for the road under German law.
They really should have done their homework more before leaving.

The way they are all talking about Germany and the police on fb isn’t going to help them much either

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Wheels outside the arches, stretched tyres and ****ed suspension (the Merc is static).

Whatever your views on Sc3ne stuff, you have to be thick to take anything like that near Germany.

The Merc is on air actually

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Hell slap it up them imo. No TUV approved mods and cars not fit for the road under German law.
They really should have done their homework more before leaving.

The way they are all talking about Germany and the police on fb isn’t going to help them much either

Whilst I don't disagree about the stretched tyres, some are pretty bad. There's a lot of quality stuff that doesn't have tuv papers but tbh, I don't know that they expected. German police have been getting a bad name for a while and for having some ludicrous rules. We really don't know how lucky we are. Most well sorted stuff on the forum would likely fall foul of them too.

Their approach to Facebook comments is unwise in fairness, though from what I've seen the police have been utter stains as well, not that 2 wrongs don't make a right.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Why didn't he just push a button to raise it up ?

The air isn't tuv approved so that'll not make a damn bit of difference. They weren't pulled on the road, literally went to get food and the police had a nose round them parked up. The pic added here is lifted a bit as far as I can see too.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
The air isn't tuv approved so that'll not make a damn bit of difference. They weren't pulled on the road, literally went to get food and the police had a nose round them parked up. The pic added here is lifted a bit as far as I can see too.
Is air ride VAG stuff not a German thing ? I would think the roads are full of them ! Or can after market stuff get approved ?

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
To be fair some of those cars look grand. Why on earth would they seize that white 4 series?

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
So he says but a now deleted post of his claims “the car barely rubs”

That the post that's still on instagram? Silly to drive at aired out height. My car physically won't do it.

But look at these 2 photos:

Aired out
Screenshot_20190517-104216.png

Aired up
Screenshot_20190517-104203.png

The tyre stretch is very daft though.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Is air ride VAG stuff not a German thing ? I would think the roads are full of them ! Or can after market stuff get approved ?

Nope, a lot of the air suspension is made by Airlift who are American, and as far as I know they haven't got tuv approval for any if it yet. I think it can be got, but costly to the company, not sure though.

Belgium seems to be much the same, I've a few friends over there who will put air in their car and then change all the suspension back to standard for inspection time. Must be a complete pain!

Marc

RMS Moderator

you have to have a tuv approval for each modified part fitted to your car, and then that part is added to a registration type document, so if the police stop you they will expect that part to be on your list of modifications.
I think its also why Recaro fixed bucket seats are so popular in Germany as they are one of the few with TUV approval.

I also think if you deviate from the standard tyre size without having it listed on your document they can seize your car, is if you have a 225/40/18 and put a 235/40/18 you may end up with your car lifted as non roadworthy.

Last edited:

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Nope, a lot of the air suspension is made by Airlift who are American, and as far as I know they haven't got tuv approval for any if it yet. I think it can be got, but costly to the company, not sure though.

Belgium seems to be much the same, I've a few friends over there who will put air in their car and then change all the suspension back to standard for inspection time. Must be a complete pain!
I meant is it not a massive thing in Germany. Seems strange for so many cars to not be legal. But suppose it's like our version of D-turbos

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Tbh here could be alot stricter but alot of blind eyes are turned. You could easily fill up a few recovery yards in a few hours if Police here seized cars for an examination, which they can

Last edited:

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
I meant is it not a massive thing in Germany. Seems strange for so many cars to not be legal. But suppose it's like our version of D-turbos

Wash yer mouth out haha, like d-turbos! :joy:

Nah it's big there still, pretty much they take a risk or put back to standard for inspection. Like I said, the amount of hassle they put up with is crazy. We really are lucky here. Obviously the guys who take the piss still get hassle!