Polisher Buying Guide?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Had a look prior to posting and couldn’t see anything. Does anyone have a guide for a complete novice looking to buy a polisher? If not, can anyone advise exactly what gear I’ll need? I’m just looking something to remove light swirls/scratches and protect the paintwork after.

I’ve no idea on the various stages in the process, never mind what products are actually good or not out of the hundreds available. I’m not going to be turning pro, so don’t want to spend a fortune on stuff, but just some kit that is good for a DIYer.

hippyross

RMS Regular
Easiest thing it a dual action polisher and the meguires microfiber kit.
The polisher is dependent on how much you want to spent pro car could probably do you a deal on something.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Only just started looking into it. Would prefer not to spend more than £150 for what I need (happy to go second hand), but not sure that’s achievable.

Looking at that microfibre kit, are there really only 2 stages (products)- a “cream” for cutting, then another for finishing? Is finishing the polish, or wax?

I assume there are different options for abrasion strength in the cutting cream?

Last edited:

Davey@Procar

RMS Trader
the das6 pro is a great we polisher for starting out with, I have a few deals on at the moment but can do nearly anything you want, I do the megs microfiber kit aswell although I only keep the cutting compound because no one was buying the finishing wax, but best to pop over get a look and see what you what to do.
the likes of the megs cutting pads and the polish with the das6 pro rrp £185 I can do at £159.

hippyross

RMS Regular
I'd just buy the cutting discs and compound there is only one compound and cutting discs they do then use your own lsp.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
You should go to one of the Polished & Waxed days that Marc runs, @Woodcutter held one earlier in the year. It’s a good opportunity to try a lot of different types and makes of machine as well as compounds to see what works for you before spending that amount of cash on one. Also a very informative day.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Das6 as above and a few polishes/pads see you grand!!

Have you not been threatening this purchase for years though

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
I got the poorboys Das 6 pro of Davey a while back,been a great job

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
I got a DAS 6 from @Davey@Procar a few years ago and only got round to using it this year. Really can't go wrong with it.

He was able to recommend me a couple of pads and products too (y)

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Yeah one of the Polished & Waxed beginner days would be perfect for you Ian, learn about the machine and proper wash technique, and you'll get to use all the different machines before choosing which suits your needs and skill.

Dual Action is the way forward though, something like the Autobrite DA21 or DA12, or indeed the Das6 as Davy mentioned.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Another vote for the DAS6. I've a DAS6 Pro and it's a great machine. I've fully corrected a few cars with it most Inc @Arfur Focus ST170 which was in need of major work. I found the DAS6 capable of even major corrections given time. It's a great machine to learn on too (though I'll admit I learnt on a Porter Cable machine years ago).

The kit @Davey@Procar is doing with the Meguiars pads and polishes is perfect for 99% of jobs. It's a good price too as second hand they aren't usually much cheaper in all honesty.

hippyross

RMS Regular
Another vote for the DAS6. I've a DAS6 Pro and it's a great machine. I've fully corrected a few cars with it most Inc @Arfur Focus ST170 which was in need of major work. I found the DAS6 capable of even major corrections given time. It's a great machine to learn on too (though I'll admit I learnt on a Porter Cable machine years ago).

The kit @Davey@Procar is doing with the Meguiars pads and polishes is perfect for 99% of jobs. It's a good price too as second hand they aren't usually much cheaper in all honesty.

I'd want the microfiber kit one pad one polish much easier for a beginner

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Cheers for the feedback so far. Will study the replies in Work tomorrow.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Das6 as above and a few polishes/pads see you grand!!

Have you not been threatening this purchase for years though

Lol, yup. Always shy away from a purchase at the last minute because I was overwhelmed by the actual thought of doing of it. But I’ve decided it’s probably handy enough done.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Lol, yup. Always shy away from a purchase at the last minute because I was overwhelmed by the actual thought of doing of it. But I’ve decided it’s probably handy enough done.

I managed to machine polish a pink Vauxhall Agila, which ended up nice and bright shiny red. So that basically means it's fool proof!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Your demo day sounds good, I don’t suppose you’ve 1 planned in the next few months? Pete used to do them and he’d be far handier, but he’s probably too much of a big deal now!

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
I had a DAS6 Pro and the Meguires microfibre kit and it was dead easy to use. I’d both the cutting and finishing pads and compounds and 2 pad sizes 5” and 3” spot pads. Did my black 130i and was very pleased with the results.
I have a brand new Rupes Duetto and a Kamikaze 3” backing plate that I’ve never used but I’m planning to get stuck into the Mini in the spring.

Last edited:

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Your demo day sounds good, I don’t suppose you’ve 1 planned in the next few months? Pete used to do them and he’d be far handier, but he’s probably too much of a big deal now!

I don't Ian, it'll probably be Spring or Summer before we hold another one.

Give Marc from Polished & Waxed a shout though, he holds them at his own unit as well as other places throughout the year.

Training and Services | Polished & Waxed - Quality Car Care Products

I have some deals on Autobrite machines for Xmas, they're on that thread I took 3 attempts at creating! Lol

Deckz

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars

Same here lol. Have had a few different machines at the checkout stage online but backed away, not really sure what I need or if I’d be capable at doing the job lol
Training day somewhere would be a good shout then go from there I guess, with a black CC now I can see some swirls marks got quoted £200 for a correction. Could have my own machine, polish etc for under that and do my own 4 cars.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Same here lol. Have had a few different machines at the checkout stage online but backed away, not really sure what I need or if I’d be capable at doing the job lol
Training day somewhere would be a good shout then go from there I guess, with a black CC now I can see some swirls marks got quoted £200 for a correction. Could have my own machine, polish etc for under that and do my own 4 cars.

£200 is cheap lol

We still run the demo days regularly, we just do it directly with owners clubs now rather than random open days as it means the group's all tend to know each other and aren't afraid to interact and ask questions etc.

As for what to buy, I would say but whatever you can get the best deal on.

All three of your cars would require a different polish and pad combination if they were in my place as the paint is quite different on each. One I would use a different machine on also.

Alot of people think I will just buy a DA and some stuff and correct my paint lol it's not as easy as that.

Similar to thinking sure I will just buy a spray gun and paint the car lol

So for most home users it's an exercise in making the car shinier, a DAS6 is hard to beat for that.

The 8mm throw means you have much less chance of inducing any marring etc really except perhaps on your Golf R.

This isn't meant to be a negative post btw I am always honest with people as the amount of cars we do that people have bought the stuff to do it themselves and then they get so deflated when they aren't getting results.

Usually it's a simple lack of understanding is the problem and the second is they aren't prepared to spend the time.

So go into it thinking I'm going to make my cars shinier and you will be grand

Deleted member 13907

D
@Lyons I have a Meguiars G220 (I think that's what it's called) DA polisher lying in the garage.
It would need new pads, but your welcome to give it a try to see what you think of it.
I know there are newer ones about now (mine is probably c. 10 years old, but hasn't been used much in a while).
I used to use it all the time, but then found I preferred using a rotary most of the time.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Do you know if its a V1 or V2 Wonka?

Are all the products really as good as each other; Meguiars, Poor Boys etc or are there ones to avoid?