Polisher Buying Guide?

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Looking to dip my toe into the buffing world and wondered what the knowledgeable folk think of this as a starter kit for a novice.

Granted I'd need to get a few 3" pads and some panel wipe, but that seems to come with what I need to start and reviews from what I've seen seem to be positive? Have a load of microfibers already, but anything else I need? This is only for wee tidy ups on dailies, not making a full time job of it or have garage queen's.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Looking to dip my toe into the buffing world and wondered what the knowledgeable folk think of this as a starter kit for a novice.

Granted I'd need to get a few 3" pads and some panel wipe, but that seems to come with what I need to start and reviews from what I've seen seem to be positive? Have a load of microfibers already, but anything else I need? This is only for wee tidy ups on dailies, not making a full time job of it or have garage queen's.

What all are you looking to achieve? I'm sure @Davey@Procar will be more than happy to sort you out.

Like all things detailing related, a microfiber cloth isn't just a microfiber cloth, there's a million variations of them.

Forensic Detailing and Pan the Organiser are great at explaining beginner stuff and worth watching.

Jrooney06

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 M Sport
Looking for a Das6 pro however they seem to be out of stock everywhere. I am seeing poor boys or slims detailing machines that look very similar. Can anyone shed any light on if its just a different casing or is there a genuine difference? Also the pro plus is available for s similar price as the pro. Is it worth it?

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Looking for a Das6 pro however they seem to be out of stock everywhere. I am seeing poor boys or slims detailing machines that look very similar. Can anyone shed any light on if its just a different casing or is there a genuine difference? Also the pro plus is available for s similar price as the pro. Is it worth it?

I have these Duron kits in stock which are very popular.

Reactions: JCM

Jrooney06

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 M Sport
I have these Duron kits in stock which are very popular.

Cheers but I’ve bit the bullet and just gone for a das6 pro plus after watching John from Forensic Detailing do a review. Fancied something with a bit of oomph and a bit more ergonomic compared to my last one which was very similar to the Duron.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Happy to pull a deal together for you. Have Autobrite machines in stock and also a LHR15 Rupes, depends what budget you’re working with.
Just something for a beginner (DA, pads and compounds). Probably Autobrite as I don't want to spend massive amounts at this stage until I see how I get on.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Autobrite DA12 is a good starter machine. Have them in stock.

Swing by any day this week and I’ll hook you up.

Davey@Procar

RMS Trader
i have the poorboys das6 , and then the rupes 15 es machines and the lh15mk111, prices starting anywhere from £139.99.

procar tel 02890817187

SPIKE_

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI | JCW
Anyone any thoughts on whether there is much of a difference between a Flex or Rupes machine? Flex is that bit cheaper, and seems to be as highly regarded as the Rupes.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Personally the flew doesn’t come close, it’s not as economic and doesn’t have the punch the rupes has

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR
So having never in my life machine polished a car, I'm considering buying a DA and trying my hand at it as the car is swirl city. Can anyone suggest a pad/polish combo for what I read is Honda's notoriously soft paint? I've read many get the results they need with just a soft polishing pad and Megs Ultimate Compound and Polish. Auto Finesse tripple does a decent job hiding light swirls by hand, but I think I'd like to take a step up or even just take the labour out of applying Tripple manually. I'll not be investing in an expensive DA, probably something around £100 as I don't know if I've the patience for it to commit fully, it might just be a one-time thing.

@Gareth ? I know you like Hondas and detailing :joy:

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Any decent DAS-6.
I have the Poorboys, which wasn’t much more than £100 and does the job.
Id upgrade to a Rupes or something only if going to polish on a regular basis

Rupes yellow pad and their AIO or one-step polish and you can’t go wrong

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
By the time you invest the money into buying everything you need, you will have it done professionally and to a much higher standard.

As for doing it at home, it depends what you are after. AIO are grand for quick tidy ups but they are full of fillers. There is no substitute for cutting and refining.

Megs D300 is a really good jack of all trades compound then follow up with 205.

Rupes yellow and white pads would be a good start for a beginner.

Lighting is everything, as is the time to do it. Yes you can skite over a car in a few hours and give it a bit of gloss. If you want to actually fix it set aside a full day - 2 days by the time you do all the necessary prep etc.

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR
Any decent DAS-6.
I have the Poorboys, which wasn’t much more than £100 and does the job.
Id upgrade to a Rupes or something only if going to polish on a regular basis

Rupes yellow pad and their AIO or one-step polish and you can’t go wrong

By the time you invest the money into buying everything you need, you will have it done professionally and to a much higher standard.

As for doing it at home, it depends what you are after. AIO are grand for quick tidy ups but they are full of fillers. There is no substitute for cutting and refining.

Megs D300 is a really good jack of all trades compound then follow up with 205.

Rupes yellow and white pads would be a good start for a beginner.

Lighting is everything, as is the time to do it. Yes you can skite over a car in a few hours and give it a bit of gloss. If you want to actually fix it set aside a full day - 2 days by the time you do all the necessary prep etc.

Cheers for the advice. I would get it done professionally Pete, but the front bumper needs a respray first. It's down a list of things I'm currently working through. Once I've all the mechanical and peace of mind stuff out of the way, a couple more jobs there, I'll be getting it sprayed. The thinking was just have a go myself to tidy it up a bit for now, but maybe I would be best just sticking with what I'm doing for the time being. No issues with the prep, do most of that before the Tripple by hand anyway.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
The biggest peace of advice I will give anyone before even going down that route is always learn how to safely wash and dry it. Until that basic is absolutely nailed the process of putting swirls in is just an ever repeating process lol

Need any tips feel free to ask

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR
The biggest peace of advice I will give anyone before even going down that route is always learn how to safely wash and dry it. Until that basic is absolutely nailed the process of putting swirls in is just an ever repeating process lol

Need any tips feel free to ask

Always been a two bucket man, now using Big Pimp's products, dry with an Auto Finesse Aqua Deluxe. All well and good doing that when the paintwork warrants it to begin with, but previous owner/s clearly didn't!

One thing I would ask, is there any black trim restorer that has decent durability? I haven't tried Trim X yet, will pick some up with my next order, but the likes of Megs Ultimate Black and AG Vinyl and Rubber Care fades in no time. Is it simply the case with all of them that you just have to incorporate them into your wash every other/couple of weeks?

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
So having never in my life machine polished a car, I'm considering buying a DA and trying my hand at it as the car is swirl city. Can anyone suggest a pad/polish combo for what I read is Honda's notoriously soft paint? I've read many get the results they need with just a soft polishing pad and Megs Ultimate Compound and Polish. Auto Finesse tripple does a decent job hiding light swirls by hand, but I think I'd like to take a step up or even just take the labour out of applying Tripple manually. I'll not be investing in an expensive DA, probably something around £100 as I don't know if I've the patience for it to commit fully, it might just be a one-time thing.

@Gareth ? I know you like Hondas and detailing :joy:

Don't bother 🤣🤣

I can't add anything more to what @big_pete has already said. Part of the reason for me selling my EP3 was that no matter how safe I tried to clean the car, it always ended up with wash marring. A top grade ceramic might have helped, but I've only ever applied lower entry level coatings, so I really don't know.

My CRV on the other hand, it responds really well to D300 on a yellow Rupes pad