Polisher Buying Guide?

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
I know, @Davey@Procar was nearly gonna have to box one up for me yesterday, but having just bought a car a few hours earlier, it's tightened the wallet for a little while.
Marc Leddy from Polished and Waxed sometimes sells used machines. Might be worth checking with him?

euge07

RMS Regular
Drives
c220 cdi sport
For anyone looking rupes polishers.
Britemax direct uk have 20% off January sale. Code:JAN2019
I have bought from them before. The 3inch rupes comes out at £207 with free delivery!

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Just be very careful with warranty on those. AFAIK all warranty claims have to be handled by the seller so could make it a disaster

euge07

RMS Regular
Drives
c220 cdi sport
Just be very careful with warranty on those. AFAIK all warranty claims have to be handled by the seller so could make it a disaster
They are a well known company, It is a really good saving. Well its there for anyone who wants it 8o|

brocks

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW X6 M50d
@Gareth take a look at the Carbon Collective Hex 15....900w motor with the larger throw...machine only is around £145 online at present, pretty Gucci looking and I'm seriously thinking about selling my old Porter Cable set up to buy one myself!

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
@Gareth take a look at the Carbon Collective Hex 15....900w motor with the larger throw...machine only is around £145 online at present, pretty Gucci looking and I'm seriously thinking about selling my old Porter Cable set up to buy one myself!

That looks a cracking machine, nearly a replica on the Rupes machine, but, I've a Rupes LHR15 MkII for that job (y)

It's the 3 inch machine I was looking to accompany it with. I may or may not be receiving an LHR75e tomorrow...

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Can you use a “buff” on unpainted plastic? My father in laws Digger is badly faded and I’ve been planning to hit it with t-cut, but was thinking today I could actually crack open the kit I got over a year ago and use it!

The arches are yellow plastic.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
What's everyone's go to combination other than megs 105 and 205?

Too many variables to consider, but 105/205 could cover 'most' jobs, along with variavle pad options.

I'm keen to try the newer 110/210 Meguiars offering.

bora-gav

RMS Regular
Drives
VW/SKODA
What machine, pads and paintwork are you using it on?

I have megs 105/205 and a das 6 pro with a selection of chemical guys hexlogic pads and megs microfiber ones on mainly vw paint so far.

Just wondering what everyone else go to setup?
I'm a complete novice at this And I'm aware it can be abit of a minefield but would like to try a selection of combinations over time so would like to know what works for you guys. Just curious

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
I'm a total novice at it too. What I have learned though, the rabbit hole is huge. Different people have their preferred brands of products and everyone will give you a different opinion. In truth, every product range has it's own strengths and weaknesses.

I've probably done about 6 or so cars. Merc, Ford, Honda, Audi, Mini and BMW. No 2 cars were the same and if I were to do each of them again, I'd probably do them all differently, but that's because I've learned more after each car I've tackled.

If you accept that you'll not get a perfect finish, if done to the best of your ability the car will be 'glossier' and as long as you follow the correct prep procedures and finish the job well, you not be unhappy. The continuation of your work comes in how you wash your car afterwards too. I've noticed light washing marks in my CRV since machine polishing it but it'll give me something to do this year.

bora-gav

RMS Regular
Drives
VW/SKODA
Yes totally understand all of that and there are so many combinations of pads and products etc.
I have an ole runabout that I have done with megs 105/205 combination and it came up well that i was very happy with. Again just curious what everyone else chooses.

I know big Pete is going to reply by either scolding me or confusing me with his knowledge lol just joking.
Im sure experience speaks for alot of the end results people get. Im picking up stuff as i go along and wouldn't mind doing abit of trial and error with a few combinations

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Your machine is probably your biggest weakspot in tackling VW paint. It's capable of doing it but you will be really putting the hours in.

Paint correction though is more about technique than anything though and that's something you will finesse with experience. It's actually good practice when you are learning to stick with a polish and pad combo and really learn and observe how your technique has an impact.

So I'd say stick with what you are using for now as swapping products etc at the beginning stages only muddies the waters and will hinder your development.

3 of my guys all started with me with no experience whatsoever and usually within 2 years I will have them at the highest of standards so factor in time too, just look at each job as an opportunity to learn.

The thing I find hardest to teach and one of the things that took me along time to get to grips with is knowing when your wasting your time chasing a defect that will never be fixed. Again that will come with experience so don't beat yourself up to much.

In reference for timescales for polishing times. I will usually spend anywhere between 8-12 hours on an average car at just polishing stages for around 85% correction (minor correction), usually 2 hours for wash and decon prep then another 4-5 hours on final finishing. We have a dedicated member of staff just for the prep these days so we are much more efficient but that's a good guideline for times

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
Would you guys be binning this small pad now or is it still usable?

IMG_20190120_172045.jpg

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Not just about it being clean, when it wears down that much the cells open up, which inevitably causes more product absorption and makes the pad clog. Fastest way to put micromarring into the finish

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
A good wash in fairy liquid and see now it cleans up.

Cheers

It's not really the dirt on it, it's more as it seems to be breaking up in the centre of the pad and I was wondering if it was passed its day. The pic might not have picked it up very well.

Thanks Pete, in the bin it goes.