Polisher Buying Guide?

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
When doing test spots to figure out what is best for the car, is the machine also accountable into the process? EG if you do a test spot with a Rupes LHR15 and get a speed/pad/liquid combo (in a 1 step scenario), should it be taken for granted that the same combo will work when using the smaller Rupes LHR75E or even a 1 inch machine?

This is all based on all things being equal ie paint condition, thickness, original paint etc.

sam_9n

RMS Regular
Would anyone be able to recommend a ‘starter’ detailing kit?

I’ll have a bit of free time next week, looking to buy a polisher and various pads with compounds etc. I’ll happily use Anachem stuff and buy locally if possible.

not sure on budget, don’t want to go crazy.

I’ll be a total beginner, I do have 2 spare doors to practice on, want to try liven the bodywork up on my Polo.

thanks

sam_9n

RMS Regular
Thanks @Turks fingers crossed.

car also has these etch/dry marks on the windows, guessing they’ll need buffed somehow too? They don’t come off with washing, and aren’t normal dry marks after washing. Looking to get proper advice before even considering starting anything like this lol

BF1E8D10-1027-47D3-97D2-AEE7EECEA88A.jpeg

Turks

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat/Impreza
Thanks @Turks fingers crossed.

car also has these etch/dry marks on the windows, guessing they’ll need buffed somehow too? They done come off with washing, and aren’t normal dry marks after washing. Looking to get proper advice before even considering starting anything like this lol

View attachment 272672
Have the same on my own windows so will be looking for the reply from someone. Maybe @big_pete would be able to answer this and give you advice on a machine.

davyk31

RMS Regular
Something like Fireball Water Stain remover might sort those marks. Pretty strong stuff and stinks but does a good job. Got mine from Woodcutter at Paints and Components although they are closed just now

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Definitely start with a DA, something long throw with 5" pads is the most versatile.

Dedicated waterspot remover will be the best way to deal with that etching

bora-gav

RMS Regular
Drives
VW/SKODA
Any recommendations for a 3" or 4" polisher?

Iver seen these with decent reviews

Is CYC cheapest place to buy them?

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
I almost put a wager you would come back with one out of my budget lol

Just like yourself, I was wanting to get a 3 inch machine and just got extremely lucky at a time that Britemax were doing the stupidest deal you've ever seen on the Rupes 3 inch machine. I think, for £200, I got the machine, a 1000gsm drying towel and some Britemax Virtue sample size and a couple of packets of Haribo. Was just too good of a deal to miss.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
Just realised I’ve a brand new Rupes Duetto kit that I’ve never used. The Mini is well rough so might give it a bash over my 2 weeks off at the end of this month (when I’m supposed to be in Portugal ☹️ )

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Just realised I’ve a brand new Rupes Duetto kit that I’ve never used. The Mini is well rough so might give it a bash over my 2 weeks off at the end of this month (when I’m supposed to be in Portugal ☹ )

lol, still never taken my kit out of its box despite starting this thread 3 years ago! After @CharlySkunkWeed ‘s great results I’m going to have a go at tackling this myself;

A3B62551-3598-404B-A4EC-B23A6432679F.jpeg

So will finally give me the kick yo the arse I need to get polishing.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
lol, still never taken my kit out of its box despite starting this thread 3 years ago! After @CharlySkunkWeed ‘s great results I’m going to have a go at tackling this myself;

View attachment 281506

So will finally give me the kick yo the arse I need to get polishing.

Good luck! I’ve heard nothing back from Audi since this
D788E87F-4D27-451F-AFEC-DAC2818AE48F.jpeg

CCB0E503-6F21-494A-8F78-A39E0E0C47A4.jpeg

They offered a smart repair but I think the colour match would be an issue and the bumper is ceramic coated so not sure how it could be blended. I’ve resigned myself to painting the he bumper.
Also have these marks on the tailgate that I can’t see buffing out. Second one is egg damage ☹️
189C4B58-9BD0-4E05-AC9B-EE6771A1AA18.jpeg

5BECEF23-C3EF-4A29-B5F3-CB9D161ADEE0.jpeg

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Flip, I dont think I knew it was as bad as that! I'd say the buff should take most of it away though. You're brave tackling it yourself on the S3 though, part of the reason I'm happy to use the Tiguan to experiment on is that its not an expensive car!

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
Flip, I dont think I knew it was as bad as that! I'd say the buff should take most of it away though. You're brave tackling it yourself on the S3 though, part of the reason I'm happy to use the Tiguan to experiment on is that its not an expensive car!

Im planning on getting the tailgate and rear bumper painted as I don’t think any of it will be fixable ☹️

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Yeah those egg shell marks are not going to fully come out - best getting it painted then recoated

Do you have a buff? I can try for you to get the worst of it out @Deezer-D for you in the mean time?

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Any tips on dust control? Mixing M105 and D300 and blowing out the pad after each set. With compressed air. Garage shutter is closed and don't fancy running in and out just to blow out the pad

20200609_172730.jpg

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Just something you have to live with at times, we always foam and rinse a car before applying any protection to get rid of it

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Just something you have to live with at times, we always foam and rinse a car before applying any protection to get rid of it

Probably going to have to do the same. Garage is just a 'normal' size so quite tight around the motor.

Also, any recommendations on a pad/liquid combo as a final step before coating? Are these primer polishes any use, or just panel wipe the car and coat?