Polisher Buying Guide?

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Any tips on keeping the dust from a cutting compound at bay? Using a CG yellow hex pad and Megs 105 and after doing 1 door panel, the whole side of the car needs dusted down.

euge07

RMS Regular
Drives
c220 cdi sport
Any tips on keeping the dust from a cutting compound at bay? Using a CG yellow hex pad and Megs 105 and after doing 1 door panel, the whole side of the car needs dusted down.

Try using Microfibre pads, I find they don't dust like a hard foam pad would, also some compounds are a lot better for it too, Polishedbliss sell a duster for wiping down dust. Also tape up the rubber surrounds and textured plastics

bora-gav

RMS Regular
Drives
VW/SKODA
Is the meguiars 105 and 205 good for starting out?
What pads do you pair them up with? Chemical guys hex pads seem to be the ones

Last edited:

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Is the meguiars 105 and 205 good for starting out?
What pads do you pair them up with? Chemical guys hex pads seem to be the ones

I went from Megs Ultimate Compound and 3M Ultrafina using an orange and a black Lake County pad, to 105/205 with a yellow and a black CG Hexlogic pad. Differnce and outcome was much better with the 2nd setup. The 105 and orange pad was good, the 105 and yellow pad was perfect for the paint on the CRV.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Is it always necessary to fully decontaminate a panel before machine polishing?

In this scenario, I know my car is 'clean', but I want to run the machine over it. I imagine I already know the answer to the question, but I thought I'd ask before starting.

euge07

RMS Regular
Drives
c220 cdi sport
Is it always necessary to fully decontaminate a panel before machine polishing?

In this scenario, I know my car is 'clean', but I want to run the machine over it. I imagine I already know the answer to the question, but I thought I'd ask before starting.

yes it is, alot of contamination you dont always see or notice, it is always best practice to start machining on clean bare paint

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
It will extend the life of your pads and cut down on machine time massively so it's not wasted time, you'll gain it on the other end

Mark@PD

RMS Regular
Drives
S1 Elise
Definately, the reason you decontaminate the paint chemically is to remove and iron fallout from the paint this will brighten it up for a start. Also if you are going to machine polish you need to remove the bonded surface contaminants, if you have tree sap or tar spots on the paint and some of these come of as you are polishing they will be trapped against the paint. How big a mess do you think this is going to leave?

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Just bought an LHR15 about a month ago, but I wouldn't mind the LHR75 too. I will buy one, but likely a 2nd hand unit.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
I have one, so handy to have, would love an ibrid and a rupes mille as my next 2 machines

Because I've bikes as well as cars, there are smaller areas on the bikes, that the 15 is too big for. The Nano looks a great tool, but too expensive for me, for all I'd need it for. I'd end up with the shiniest Arai's in the country :joy::joy::joy:

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
The one I’m selling is 12mm throw and the Kamikaze backing plate let’s you use 3” spot pads too.

Too soon for me to buy, I've not even had the chance to use the 15 yet. 2 wedding in the next 4 weeks and Christmas will put a quick stop to spending any 'fun money' this side of Christmas.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
If it’s a customers car ,just give them it back totally boggin inside with dust everywhere from the dash to the seats .you might get an extra turn at the car cleaning up your mess .

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Any recommendations on a lesser expensive brand of 3 inch DA machine? I'll eventually buy the Rupes LHR75e, but its out of budget at the minute.