Polishing fresh paint

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Before I go Googling and YouTubing, is there a period of time to wait before machine polishing fresh paint?

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
i would like to know this as well

the side off my car was painted and it’s getting close to needing a wash / polish

Gareth

RMS Regular
OP
Gareth
Drives
Honda's
i would like to know this as well

the side off my car was painted and it’s getting close to needing a wash / polish

Washing is fine, I'm more worried about putting a machine polisher near it. Fresh paint will continue to release gases for a while after painting, but sealing and waxing is a concern. Trapping gases can bring their own problems.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
One of the first things that happens to paint after it's baked is that it gets flattened and polished. So you will be fine to do any paint correction. Don't put any wax on it for a few weeks but some ceramics are fine, just check that they are gas permiable

Gareth

RMS Regular
OP
Gareth
Drives
Honda's
One of the first things that happens to paint after it's baked is that it gets flattened and polished. So you will be fine to do any paint correction. Don't put any wax on it for a few weeks but some ceramics are fine, just check that they are gas permiable

Thanks @big_pete I knew there was something not to do with new paint, that's answered it for me (y)

Gareth

RMS Regular
OP
Gareth
Drives
Honda's
So, to follow up on this. I never actually put the machine on the painted bumper of the car I was working on at the time.

20181229_155448.jpg

Here's the thing now though, I'm going to start to tackle my recently painted bonnet, bumper and both front wings on my black Civic very soon. I don't own a paint depth gauge, but having chatted with my painter, some panels have been repainted more than once and there was isopon in a few areas. It's a 15 year old Type R, if it hadn't ever seen paint before, I'd have **** my pants.

Post paint photos below show that there's defo attention needed. I'll be letting the paint cure for a few more weeks before breaking the machines out and it'll just be a regular wash or two by the time I get to that stage. Just a wash, not waxes or quick detailers and I'll just let the normal elements try and break down any previous wax coats before a proper decontamination.

I'm still apprehensive about cutting/refining/finishing recently painted surfaces, but I'll be giving it my best shot. Updates to follow in a few weeks.

This is the post paint shot,

20190110_172039.jpg

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.