poor mpg on mercedes c220 cdi

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

euge07

RMS Regular
Drives
c220 cdi sport
I am only getting 29-30 at best in the mercedes, it is a c220 cdi and that is in eco mode,

that is over a 12-15mile commute rural, and drove normal,

most others I know are getting at least 40mpg on similar drives

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Best getting it plugged into a good diagnostics machine and having someone run their eye over it for you. Could be many things causing it to overfuel slightly.

Is there any untoward smoke under a load or anything?

AC

RMS Regular
Can't comment on the W204 but when I had an auto W203 C220, it was the same, shocking MPG. Averaged 30 at a push.

A6Avant

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Avant
Same here. According to promotional material i was given before the purchase i should be getting 60MPG+ but in reality i am getting 31. No matter how easy i drive it still returns no-where near the expected efficiency.

euge07

RMS Regular
OP
euge07
Drives
c220 cdi sport
sorry guys, yes it is an auto! Now to be fair I don't buy into the quoted mpgs but I did expect more than 30!

will get my mechanic to plug it in, no smoke and driving lovely!

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
mixture of town driving and then getting to town and home, bit still 30mpg is very poor surely

According to my onboard computer I get 39 in the 330d

Rural and then onto M2 for 15mies or so each way.

Sitting in traffic a lot too (n)

brendy

RMS Regular
@euge07 have you tried the commute in sport?
I found the 530d can do better when the engine is revving a little easier instead of changing up too early. Its certainly still less than I expected.

RCT

RMS Regular
mixture of town driving and then getting to town and home, bit still 30mpg is very poor surely

I wouldn't of thought so for a car that size/weight. You have big wheels on it too do you not? It all depends how you drive it too. It's also cold weather atm so aircon heated windows etc will prob be used too, which don't help fuel consumption. Also don't believe the trip metres they are normally well out on actual consumption.

Brim it record miles and litres. Then drive and then till near empty then fill it and record litres and miles. Only way to get an actual true figure.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Short journey in a modern diesel with what seems like a slow average speed will kill fuel economy.

It could also cause DPF issues. For that style of driving a petrol version world be more suited.

Certainly make sure there is nothing wrong as well but generally it won't be great

What year is it?

euge07

RMS Regular
OP
euge07
Drives
c220 cdi sport
Its 2011 with 37k and been well serviced etc i will try the different modes. Even on the way through england and scotland which was steady crusing it did not do good mpg. I would have thought 38-40mpg would have been achievable

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Parents 2003 C220 gets 50mpg easily

Would like to have thought the new ones would at least be close.

PhilM

RMS Regular
I'm in an 09 auto estate - sharing the shocking mpg woes also. 30/31 at best often worse.

Phil

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
Its 2011 with 37k and been well serviced etc i will try the different modes. Even on the way through england and scotland which was steady crusing it did not do good mpg. I would have thought 38-40mpg would have been achievable

Proof that downsizing doesn't work. A friends E350 CDI gets 40 mpg.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Proof that downsizing doesn't work. A friends E350 CDI gets 40 mpg.

What age of car? It's not all down to the engine size - emissions regs have tightened and keep getting tighter. Alongside that cars are getting heavier due to safety regs and the toys that people want.

Depending on the car you are correct that real world MPG can be better in a bigger less stressed engine but it is dependent on application. Downsizing gives the advantage on the test cycles though hence why it is used as that's what a car is measured on currently

Ant

RMS Regular
lol jesus even i get 30-31 on mine and i'm a similar commute sandyknowes>stormont

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
What age of car? It's not all down to the engine size - emissions regs have tightened and keep getting tighter. Alongside that cars are getting heavier due to safety regs and the toys that people want.

Depending on the car you are correct that real world MPG can be better in a bigger less stressed engine but it is dependent on application. Downsizing gives the advantage on the test cycles though hence why it is used as that's what a car is measured on currently

2011, still pretty new. Well, it seems it to me anyway lol

Those 350 engines seem excellent in fairness, not much goes wrong and they're good on fuel and emissions seem dead on. Merc must have put a lot of time into them.

merc220

Drives
c220 CDI
I understand this is an old thread but I am having same issue with 220CDI Auto purchased recently funnily enough for better MPG than my 13 year old petrol. Giving me 30 MPG in Urban areas. Did you find the solution OP? If anyone else has advice please share as I am pretty disappointed with MPG.

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Yous are probably doing journeys in which are suitable for diesel cars and that's likely the bottom line.

My 320d will do 56mpg running back and forward to Limerick/cork etc.

Doing the school run and stupid short journeys returns crap economy, noticeably.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.