Popped in to Tesla today...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Popped into a Tesla dealership today for a look round the Model S and Model X and to get a demo. I also grabbed a few pictures.

Both impressive machines and an insight into the future of motoring. The auto driving mode in particular was very interesting. The sales rep mentioned that in approved zones (presently only California?) you can actually call the car to come pick you up. Like a self valet mode.

The gadgetry, functions, build and layout was amazing, albeit potentially distracting. I couldn't begin to list everything, other than both cars felt so advanced and foreign to me that it really was a jaw dropping experience start to finish.

Gadgetry aside, the model S is capable of 60 in 2.3 seconds (in ludricous mode) and can be refilled for free thanks to Tesla's Supercharging scheme.

Needless to say these are not to everyone's taste, especially those of us who tend to spend Sunday afternoons fiddling with carburetors, but you have to hand it to them; the tech is insane.

Another thing I noticed that despite the gull wing door show room example with its shocking 'stain resistant' pimp spec white leather seats, both models can and do very easily slip under the radar on the open road - something important for those of us that don't crave constant attention.

Production of the more affordable Model 3 (c.£30k with option and grants) begins later this year with cars hitting the roads across Europe mid 2018. Model 3 owners can enjoy 0-60 in under 6 seconds, automated driving functionality (where permitted) and much reduced running costs over 'ordinary' cars due to lower insurance, servicing and fuel costs.

Finally an EV that might convince me to move away from the IC engined daily.

Model S

IMG_20170617_120158.jpg

IMG_20170617_114754.jpg

IMG_20170617_114300.jpg

IMG_20170617_115558.jpg

Model X (6 seater SUV)

IMG_20170617_115401.jpg

IMG_20170617_120036.jpg

IMG_20170617_115343.jpg

IMG_20170617_115501.jpg

saxo_man

RMS Regular
The power delivery of electric cars is fantastic. I wouldn't go back to an IC engine for a commuter over short distances.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
There's no doubt they're impressive....but what real world usable range ?

Around 200 miles apparently. That'll depend on what way it's driven, etc. The demonstrator I was in was showing a range into 150+ mile region and it had been 'on' all morning while people played with it.

Edit it was actually 161 miles as you can see in the pic.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Was just going to say the same @saxo_man, im still impressed with the take off in the zoe after 2 years ownership and it only has 90bhp and 150lb/ft. These tesla's must be insane! I'll be genuinely sad to see the zoe go in the next 2 weeks

Conor

RMS Regular
How did you find the build quality @Coog? What would it compare to?

They are everywhere over here, but build quality seems to plague them, interior squeaks, wear etc.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
How did you find the build quality @Coog? What would it compare to?

They are everywhere over here, but build quality seems to plague them, interior squeaks, wear etc.

Seemed dead on to me though I did hear about high mileage ones in Europe experiencing the odd interior rattle. The Model 3 will be first mass produced Tesla, so should be interesting to see how it goes.

Where was this @Coog ?

Boston

Alross1212

RMS Regular
Drives
Mercedes CL500
Anything that makes a reference to Space Balls is good in my mind!

I respect the cars and what Tesla is trying to do. I've done some work for Space X in California which is linked to Tesla.

However I wouldn't buy one. It's just not a driving experience that I'm looking for. I'm a fan of large N.A. engines. Love the sound and feel of them.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
A friend in England has a Model S and replaced his E350CDI for it. He's in sales and travels the country in it. The sat nav plans his route taking into account range and superchargers.

He said after driving 200 miles you need a break anyway and 20 mins at a supercharger gives you 80% range back.

I must hoke out the video but he picked me up from Gatwick in it last year and popped on autopilot and it was amazing. No hands and no feet, want to change lanes just tap he indicator stalk and the car does the rest.

Slip road torque 40-100 was incredible just a bang of thrust and no lag.

This is the future for commuting for sure. Racing or sports cars though? The lack of noise is a big issue for sure as they come across soulless, but linear torque at all speeds and low COG means out of a corner an electric car could be unbeatable.

Lee

RMS Regular
A bit different to these but my first and only experience of an electric car was a run a B class Mercedes, fully electric. The fella I bought my current car off was selling because he had bought this Merc. After we dealt for my car, he insisted I got a run in it. He done a launch 0-60 and I remember thinking you'd need fairly good BHP in a normal car to stick with it, and thats just a B class family car. I was impressed. So quick, no gears, no lag, no noise. Yes it would bore petrolheads like us but I could totally understand the appeal.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
The UK Mercedes website says my car does 124 miles on a full charge. The US Mercedes website says 87 for the exact same. It really does 87. I've had it read 110 miles but that required extremely careful driving. So I take all figures from UK sites with a pinch of salt. That 200 is probably my closer to 120. And my car was made 'underneath' by Tesla.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
A friend in England has a Model S and replaced his E350CDI for it. He's in sales and travels the country in it. The sat nav plans his route taking into account range and superchargers.

He said after driving 200 miles you need a break anyway and 20 mins at a supercharger gives you 80% range back.

I must hoke out the video but he picked me up from Gatwick in it last year and popped on autopilot and it was amazing. No hands and no feet, want to change lanes just tap he indicator stalk and the car does the rest.

Slip road torque 40-100 was incredible just a bang of thrust and no lag.

This is the future for commuting for sure. Racing or sports cars though? The lack of noise is a big issue for sure as they come across soulless, but linear torque at all speeds and low COG means out of a corner an electric car could be unbeatable.

It feels like an iPhone in a world of Nokia 5210's.

Circa 200,000 global pre-orders for the Model 3 in 24hrs. That's 200,000 £1000/$1000 deposits made on that car inside a day.

It's a game changer. Can Musk pull it off? Who knows. If he's as good at mass producing cars as he is at marketing and fund gathering I think it'll be a winner.

I think in time we will all grab our ICE cars and use fossil fuels for leisure/fun and keep the EV's for the daily grind. Perhaps in a couple of decades the ICE car will be the forte of slightly weird beardy types to talk about down the pub/online, instead of the other way round.

As for the range - from what I've read, it seems that the marketing material is pretty accurate. No-one really saying that range is significantly less than what is being advertised and battery packs are lasting in excess of 100k miles with minimal range decreases (10-15%).

Lee

RMS Regular
I think in time we will all grab our ICE cars and use fossil fuels for leisure/fun and keep the EV's for the daily grind. Perhaps in a couple of decades the ICE car will be the forte of slightly weird beardy types to talk about down the pub/online, instead of the other way round.

Year 2050 " I remember when we used to drive real cars. A 90 brake mapped to wan30 was the one to have. How its all changed".

RoniN

RMS Regular

Not a fan of Rob in the vid but he makes some valid points about Tesla.

Cheers

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.