Popular Outlander PHEV Updated

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
See the blog feature on this - The Mitsubishi Outlander has been on sale for sixteen years now, and for the last six of which, an electrified version has saw enormous sales. With its attractively low company car tax, the Mitsubishi Outlander plug-in hybrid vehicle (PHEV) took 50% of the UK's electric car and hybrid sector sales... Read the Full Article Here

Read the Entire Article Here

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I hear that a lot of owners who are happy to buy this car for the BIK % reason, do exactly what you did and drive it rarely plugging in. But I find it a bit disappointing that you didn't try this. It's performance would also have been down on power for most of the week, because there would be very little electric available to help climb hills or for overtaking.
Also, some of it's best tricks, using the SAVE button on the open road and the steering wheel paddles to adjust the coast and regen braking, didn't get a mention! This for me is what sets the car apart from a normal hybrid and makes a huge difference to economy and available power.

I'd agree though that it is a fairly average car, in terms of performance and handling.

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
I hear that a lot of owners who are happy to buy this car for the BIK % reason, do exactly what you did and drive it rarely plugging in. But I find it a bit disappointing that you didn't try this. It's performance would also have been down on power for most of the week, because there would be very little electric available to help climb hills or for overtaking.
Also, some of it's best tricks, using the SAVE button on the open road and the steering wheel paddles to adjust the coast and regen braking, didn't get a mention! This for me is what sets the car apart from a normal hybrid and makes a huge difference to economy and available power.

I'd agree though that it is a fairly average car, in terms of performance and handling.
Had I been briefed on such things, i'd probably have played about with such features. But i wasn't, which perhaps sends a signal that they are relatively irrelevant and perhaps highlights the fact that the vast sales are a tax avoidance, rather than anything else.