Porsche 911 Turbo

KeithRobinson

RMS Regular
OP
KeithRobinson
Drives
911Turbo
So this morning, I got up early and drove to McMillan's to get my new tyres.

Reasons why I used McMillans rather than a tyre place?
- Price, they were as competitive
- Center-lock wheels, although simple, you need to follow procedure and fit them right
- Service - I got to sit in a nice heated space, chat about and look at loads of beautiful Porsches
- They cleaned the inside of the wheels, removed all old sticky residue from old weights - this for me is such a big deal and I've never had ANY tyre place do it.

Nice shot at sunrise!

IMG_6655.jpeg

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
- Center-lock wheels, although simple, you need to follow procedure and fit them right
What's this sorry? Is this your model specific or a Porsche general thing? Can't argue with the service clearing off the old glue, as you say it's the simple things 😃

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
What's this sorry? Is this your model specific or a Porsche general thing? Can't argue with the service clearing off the old glue, as you say it's the simple things 😃

think turbos have the centre lock job. Lots of torque required etc. Not just bzzzz bzzzzzzzz bzz. 600 Nm from a quick look through this thread

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Yeah they have centre locks and can get chewed if some camanchie buzzes off on them and isn’t careful.

Cleaned a 991 Turbo for a friend and the centre are butchered from getting tyres changed.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Blows my mind that so many tyre and repair places don't know or care about doing wheel nuts up correctly. Just got the son a car from england there before Christmas, 18k miles, only ever serviced in the main dealers. Had it's front discs and pads replaced just before it was sold and when I went to change the tyres, I could hardly get the bolts undone. Pretty ***** on a normal car, could get very expensive on something like this.
Does it carry a spare? I couldn't imagine changing a wheel by the roadside with that sort of torque required etc.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
AA callout if you get stuck on the road, no chance getting a centre lock off without special tools. Might get going with a can but that would be it.

KeithRobinson

RMS Regular
OP
KeithRobinson
Drives
911Turbo

Whoever ordered my car spec’d the upgraded Center lock system and turbo s wheels. On the 997 turbo S, the Center locks were standard fit.

I think from the 991 onwards they are standard on all turbo and GT3.

It’s a single nut which needs torqued to 500nm, loosened back off and then re-torqued, all with the wheels off the ground (and someone pressing the brakes)

AA callout if you get stuck on the road, no chance getting a centre lock off without special tools. Might get going with a can but that would be it.

yeah, I have the tool in the car, but the torque wrench is HUGE and I can’t carry one in the car.

Nice beefy sidewall on the PS4S

4A7270DB-862E-4A63-9449-DCC32E686A8A.jpeg

305AC887-9B6C-4504-BCA8-EE2A43B4339A.jpeg

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
The F2 Brabham and F3000 Lola used centre locks. Monumental PITA on cars with no handbrakes lol, solution was 1970's Datsun wheel chocks. Because the tyres were so wide, we used 2 per tyre. ;)
wheel chocks.jpg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
The F2 Brabham and F3000 Lola used centre locks. Monumental PITA on cars with no handbrakes lol, solution was 1970's Datsun wheel chocks. Because the tyres were so wide, we used 2 per tyre. ;)
View attachment 306705

Saw a video somewhere of a wheel change on a late 60s or early 70s F1 car. Chap at the end of a bar and a BIG sledge hammer to get them off 😅 And that was on a tiny 600kg racer, lol. On a big modern road car the torque is insane.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
To be honest, personally I would just change to normal five stud. Nobody actually needs centre locks this side of a race pit stop. Just too much hassle on a road car. Some cool engineering in there. But still...

Looks like the hub has the stud holes already, might be a straight forward conversion?

The 964 in that video 🥰 Well, apart from the ridiculous wing, but beggars can't be choosers :innocent:

KeithRobinson

RMS Regular
OP
KeithRobinson
Drives
911Turbo
To be honest, personally I would just change to normal five stud. Nobody actually needs centre locks this side of a race pit stop. Just too much hassle on a road car. Some cool engineering in there. But still...

Looks like the hub has the stud holes already, might be a straight forward conversion?

The 964 in that video 🥰 Well, apart from the ridiculous wing, but beggars can't be choosers :innocent:

Need to change the hubs. I like them though and don't find them to a problem.
Seen this in ebrington square earlier today, looked great!
Was filthy! LOL

We took the little one for a walk, test out the new pram - which we hunted for because it folds down so small it fits into the front of the 911 (and overhead luggage on planes)

IMG_6597.jpeg

IMG_6674.jpeg

Woodcutter

RMS Regular

Nicholas come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

Who buys a Porsche with centre locks and changes them to boring old 5 stud hubs?! Behave yourself! 😂

KeithRobinson

RMS Regular
OP
KeithRobinson
Drives
911Turbo
So as the evenings begin to stretch, it's time to start prepping for springtime.

I've ordered up new discs, pads and dust shields, which I'll fit myself. And then the car is going to McMillan to have the rear spring bush's replaced (the rubber that supports the spring is perished), a major service including brake fluid, PDK system service and oil change.

Very tempted once that's done to get it mapped. Stage 1 is 580-600bhp :party::party::party:

When it snows - it's pretty much law to take car photos!

IMG_6972.jpeg

IMG_6977.jpeg

34CBEA77-CB37-4417-8498-4992F21BE2DB.jpg

IMG_6975.jpeg

KeithRobinson

RMS Regular
OP
KeithRobinson
Drives
911Turbo
Ordered a quickjack today. I absolutely hate jacking cars on a normal jack for maintenance and cleaning. It’s amplified on a 911 as all the weight is behind the rear wheels.

This is much more portable, so I can jack it outside to clean out the arches. And it will be much safer in the garage for changing brakes etc.

finally it will come in handy to build the Nova after paint.

Example:
2041AD1E-95D5-4297-9D71-14933135F4DA.jpeg

D1F19205-41F2-47BB-A897-BEF08DE2B888.jpeg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
That looks super handy! And reasonably handy to store? Does it come with a compressor?

Have been thinking about some sort of scissor stand myself. Only concern would be cars with just a single lift point on the sills, where you need to use in-board lift points... The Lotus especially, but also the Polestar.

Looks like you just lift under the entire sill?

I've seen some scissor stands that lift under the wheels, and then you can drop down on stands in the right places. But that's a lot more faff...

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
That looks super handy! And reasonably handy to store? Does it come with a compressor?

Have been thinking about some sort of scissor stand myself. Only concern would be cars with just a single lift point on the sills, where you need to use in-board lift points... The Lotus especially, but also the Polestar.

I've seen some scissor stands that lift under the wheels, and then you can drop down on stands in the right places. But that's a lot more faff...
Suppose you could do what not do and put those blocks under lift points?

DubsterACS

RMS Regular
Drives
911C2,ZX16v
So as the evenings begin to stretch, it's time to start prepping for springtime.

I've ordered up new discs, pads and dust shields, which I'll fit myself. And then the car is going to McMillan to have the rear spring bush's replaced (the rubber that supports the spring is perished), a major service including brake fluid, PDK system service and oil change.

Very tempted once that's done to get it mapped. Stage 1 is 580-600bhp :party::party::party:

When it snows - it's pretty much law to take car photos!

View attachment 309688

View attachment 309691

View attachment 309690

View attachment 309689

Awesome car and looks brill in the snow.

KeithRobinson

RMS Regular
OP
KeithRobinson
Drives
911Turbo

yeah I’ll be able to hand it on the garage wall when not in use. It’s hydraulic and comes with the pump etc.

you can use it front to back or even width ways. So super versatile.

being able to put it out on the street and jack for cleaning is super handy

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Actually, you're right, you could use it across underneath the car, not just length wise. That would work even on the lotus which is an absolute pita to lift, lol.

How high is it at its lowest? Do you have a link?