Porsche 944 Turbo S project

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

richie_mck

RMS Regular
Woodcutter & Richie_mck's shared custody project.

So, I was leaving one of my yokes down to Alan Mcgookin (AMG cars) to get serviced and as usual we got taking cars and shop. We got talking about his 944 turbo s and he happened to mention that he had agreed to sell it but the buyer hadn't been to collect it or been in contact about collecting it, this then led to me asking for first refusal if the guy didn't appear. In the meantime I mentioned to @Woodcutter about the potential sale after knowing his love and quest for another 944.

We went to see the car on 20th Jan and after seeing the condition of the car, sifting through the folder of history and knowing the rarity of it a deal was struck. After picking the car up tonight and talking over what the plans were it was decided to go halfers on the project.

The Turbo S was introduced in 1988 as a limited production run, with a specification that was influenced from the "Turbo Cup" race cars. Improvements over the standard turbo model included the 250bhp M44/52 engine (with a new turbocharger, modified turbine vanes and enhanced DME mapping), a stronger clutch, transmission with external oil cooler, a limited slip differential, larger 4 pot brembos with 12" front brake discs (similar to the 928 S4), adjustable Koni suspension with McPherson strut (M030 clubsport package) and forged clubsport wheels.

1,653 Turbo S cars were built worldwide, of which 77 were sold in the UK and according to the 'how many left' website, DVA records show only 47 are left so they definitely are a rare car. Originally the model was designated to have the same Silvery Pink paintwork (commonly known as “Silberrosa” or Silver Rose) and the Burgundy Studio Check cloth interior. Following the initial run of 1,000 Silver Rose cars and in response to customer demand, midway through 1988 any colour from the Porsche catalogue, along with any interior option could be specified instead of the 'Silver Rose' scheme.

At the time the 1988 944 turbo s was the fastest production 4 cylinder car and was as expensive as its 911 big brother, which possibly contributed to the low production numbers.

Our car is one of the 77 original UK cars finished in LA41 Black with linen leather interior.

Option codes on the car -

030- clubsport package mo30, performance handling pack
220- limited slip diff 40%
288- headlight washers
383/387- sport seat with elec height adjust
533- alarm
573- A/C
605- vertical headlight adjustment
650- electric sunroof
947- partial leather front seats

One of the big bonuses with the car is the extent of the history file, coupled with the fact that Alan has known the car since it came over from England in 1993. He serviced the car when he was a mechanic in Agnews Porsche and continued to look after it when he left to set up his own place. The car is HPI clear and has had 3 owners from new.

Obviously by now it is a 29 year old car and has some very minor things that we would like to sort out. The car is generally in very good shape so the plan is to fix a few small areas of bubbled paintwork but largely we'd like to maintain as much of the original paint as possible and return a few other areas of the car to oem spec.

Alan had been busy himself and had done a complete overhaul of the brakes, suspension, arbs, droplinks and bushings. The mechanicals are also all sorted and bar a new alternator has a clean bill of health.

Future plans-

Deep clean of interior and exterior,
Remove spacers and refurb wheels to a nice silver that would mimic the original anodised finish,
Refit the original dump valve,
Sort out a few areas of rust and paint,
New alternator,
Service with new belts / pulleys,
Replacement steering wheel / gear gator
Repair a few cracks to the dash top

The original ref is something we might also try and put back on the car, Porsche beards love originality.

Some pics, will get more up when the car gets cleaned, progressed.

IMG_8910.JPG
IMG_8913.JPG
IMG_8915.JPG
IMG_8922.JPG
IMG_8924.JPG
IMG_8947.JPG

Last edited:

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Unreal :eek:

That looks clean enough to show already lol. Brilliant buy though, at least you know your money will be safe in that!

richie_mck

RMS Regular
OP
richie_mck
Unreal :eek:

That looks clean enough to show already lol. Brilliant buy though, at least you know your money will be safe in that!

Up close there's a few blemishes and some rust to sort out but nothing too major, good base and it properly shifts too

TalkToFrank

RMS Regular
Drives
335i MT Touring
Love it!!!

That'll be 3 of us now that I know of with that colour combo!

If ur binning the spacers I wouldn't mind gracing ur palm with silver for them! Lol.

Sounds like you're on to a real winner there!

How many 944s are we up to on here now?

Conor

RMS Regular
Brilliant lads, a great buy!

When I was in England with Dad looking a FRS, one of the dealerships had a mint turbo one sitting, not an S. They were after £25k for it. :eek:

neil-c

RMS Regular
Loving these 944 threads on RMS. There's someone that works around Methody/City Hospital daily's a red 944- always nice to see something different on the commute.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.