Porsche Boxster 3.2 S 986

DubsterACS

RMS Regular
Drives
911C2,ZX16v
This story starts in 1993 when as a boy of 8 my dad bought me a model car to add to my growing collection of 'collectables' (not toys!). It was this:

Untitled by Graham Thompson, on Flickr

Porsche had released details they were going to make their Boxster Concept car a reality and being Porsche fans back then, dad bought me the model version but i said someday maybe i would own the real thing. Fast forward to 2005 and Dad had fulfilled a dream of owning a Porsche, in fact he got into buying/selling/sourcing Porsches for customers. He had a few Boxsters back then from 2.5 to 2.7 and then a 3.2 S Anniversary Edition which I drove and got hooked on.

Fast forward again to Jan 2018 and I fulfil the dream myself when i was offered a 2001 Boxster S by a friend who had it tucked away (I didn't even realise he had it!). Myself and my dad went to view the car last saturday even though knowing who owned it the car would be a good one, thankfully it was, a deal was done and I am now the proud owner of a Boxster S! Its a 2001 986 model with a few factory upgrades on it:

Lapiz Blue with Black Leather
18" Turbo Twist Alloys
Sports 'Wingback' Seats
6 speed Manual
Hard top
81,000 miles

I've only driven it home and out a couple of places, really hasn't been the weather for it. I plan a few changes to it so will post updates as and when they happen. Oh and yes I still have the model version!

by Graham Thompson, on Flickr

Last edited:

richie_mck

RMS Regular
Lovely, I had one in lapis blue with metropole leather, they are a very unrated car, and the noise from behind the seats is awesome. Lapis is a stunning colour too. Enjoy (y)

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Beautiful. Such a great colour and a lovely spec, don't change the amber lenses, they look so good against the Lapis Blue!

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
As said above the amber lenses look great.

Awesome car health to enjoy looks a real tidy one.

DubsterACS

RMS Regular
OP
DubsterACS
Drives
911C2,ZX16v
Thanks for the kind comments all! It really is a cracking car, I know I'll get a lot of stick for it being the poor man's Porsche however anyone who has driven one knows how capable they are and what a great handling car they are. I've always been used to front engine/rwd since forever so I'm looking forward to learning how to drive mid-engine/rwd properly. Although i do wish it had a LSD!

Sorry to say to the amber lense lovers.....clear/smoked genuine Porsche light kit has already been purchased for it! I've never been a fan of ambers on a car. Looking to upgrade the exhaust too to release more of the flat 6.

Last edited:

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Thanks for the kind comments all! It really is a cracking car, I know I'll get a lot of stick for it being the poor man's Porsche however anyone who has driven one knows how capable they are and what a great handling car they are. I've always been used to front engine/rwd since forever so I'm looking forward to learning how to drive mid-engine/rwd properly. Although i do wish it had a LSD!

Sorry to say to the amber lense lovers.....clear/smoked genuine Porsche light kit has already been purchased for it! I've never been a fan of ambers on a car. Looking to upgrade the exhaust too to release more of the flat 6.
I thought the same regarding the LSD.

Though it only bothered me when it was wet, dry I didn't notice it missing.

Last edited:

Woodcutter

RMS Regular

Lack of LSD was why I didn't get on with my Cayman, especially after coming from a Z4MC.

If I ever get another, LSD is a must.

Maranellohouse

RMS Regular
Drives
Italian
Excellent, lovely car but love the fact that you've realised your dream even more. Health to enjoy young man, all you have to do now is paint that model the same colour as your car, and don't forget to add number plates.

DubsterACS

RMS Regular
OP
DubsterACS
Drives
911C2,ZX16v
Not much work has been done to the Boxster, been out driving it a bit but i did manage to source a set of used genuine Porsche smoked clear headlights from a parts company on eBay who were breaking a 996 911 (same headlights fit both 996 and 986), great condition and very easy to swap over. Also got a set of smoked clear/red rear lights brand new from Porsche Centre Belfast as well as smoked clear side repeaters. I know a lot of people were saying they love the ambers but I don't get the amber look - growing up in the 90s, the base model cars had amber indicators and then you knew the higher spec models by their clear indicators so i guess that mentality has stuck with me. Anyways, lights fitted and quick wash:

Untitled by Graham Thompson, on Flickr

soupz

RMS Regular
Drives
Boxster S
I didn't get the amber lenses either, looks far better now! Is there much you can do with these engine wise ,rarely hear of anyone tuning one. Must get a spin out with you sometime.