Possible heater matrix leak

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Since I got the E36 there's always been a weird residue on the windscreen, looking at it it looks like tiny spots of condensation

I replaced a fair bit of the coolant system recently but the coolant level has dropped from the cold marker to about an inch off the bottom of the expansion tank, guessing about 100ml

This was done around end of November and maybe 1500 miles ago so fairly minimal usage of coolant

Ive tried using clear view multiple times in one go and it didn't really make a difference, and it seems like there's a pattern on the glass inside which is visible when the screen is fogged up.

Just wondering if these symptoms sounds heater matrix related?

There's no air from the vents on the dash, but the windscreen dash works and there is heat but not as warm as I remember it being just after fitting a new hedgehog so maybe this is gone again 🤷‍♂️

Cheers

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Carpets damp?

I did a matrix in a MK2 Metro which is as basic as you can get and even it was a pain. Good luck!

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
OP
quattro Rick
Drives
quattro / M796
Carpets are dry as far as I can tell, but given the minimal amount of coolant loss I was thinking it could be a pin hole leak type of thing

Could be completely wrong and the matrix may be fine, I've seen how much of a pain they are to get to, but think I'd be up to it myself if I knew how to tell for sure 😂

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Add UV leak detector to the coolant and get under the dash with a black light.

Ring Automotive sell the dye and a torch for about a tenner.

EDIT: it’s got more expensive than I remember:

Rossios

RMS Regular
When my heater matrix went in my Golf the windows fogged every time I put the heating on and it made a horrible smell that would put you out of the car, it would also leave a greasy/oily residue on the window if not cleaned straight away.
I drove 1k~ miles during the summer with the matrix leaking and only had to top it up with coolant maybe once with about 100ml to get it well above the minimum line in the expansion tank, carpets and all were dry too. Check maybe pollen filter, and scuttle panel for any leaks?

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
OP
quattro Rick
Drives
quattro / M796
When my heater matrix went in my Golf the windows fogged every time I put the heating on and it made a horrible smell that would put you out of the car, it would also leave a greasy/oily residue on the window if not cleaned straight away.
I drove 1k~ miles during the summer with the matrix leaking and only had to top it up with coolant maybe once with about 100ml to get it well above the minimum line in the expansion tank, carpets and all were dry too. Check maybe pollen filter, and scuttle panel for any leaks?

Yeah I was in two minds if it could be a leak, no funny smells or wet carpets being the main symptoms

Will try a few of the things listed here and see how I get on 👍

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
I had a Mk4 Golf a good few years back, and the heater matrix failed. Wet carpets, condensation on the inside of the windows, and a pretty nasty smell. I didnt have the money for a new matrix, so fired a bottle of Novastop into the coolant. It worked its magic, and I drove the car for a further 2.5 years without any issues.

Nowadays. I'd probably be more keen to find the leak and fix it though. The UV kit looks the business though.

Hope you get sorted.

Cooks

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
OP
quattro Rick
Drives
quattro / M796
So I'm just after being in the back of the car to grab a few things and happened to notice the rear passenger footwell is a swimming pool 🤔

The front passenger and front and rear driver are all dry, there's no funny smells as far as I can tell, and the cars just been turned off so it would be pointless to check the coolant level at present.

I'll have a look at the coolant level when it's next cold, but is the drenched passenger footwell an indicator of the matrix seals going, or would it be more likely to be scuttle drainage related?

Cheers

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
OP
quattro Rick
Drives
quattro / M796
Check the coolant level and eliminate that.

Will do first thing tomorrow! 👍

Do you have a sunroof?

My e39 leaked from there into the boot. Needed to replace the sunroof seals.

No sunroof

What car ? Most cars will not have a heater matrix in the rear, so that being the source of the leak is extremely unlikely.

E36 coupe, I know they're usually in the front but on some of the forums there's mention of rear floor being wet from a leaky heater box/seal as the water runs to the lowest point.

Will be sticking it on the lift during the week and see if I can find any bunged up seals