Post your project/build ideas

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
As with most enthusiasts I find my mind wandering and thinking up car builds I would like to do, from the doable to the financially absolutely untenable. I thought it would make for a good thread, so post your car build/project ideas...

A few of my current thoughts floating about in my head currently to start:

Austin A35 - either built to HRDC Academy spec like this
The-Austin-A35-and-the-British-Lemming-HRDC-Academy-Austin-A35.jpg

Or go full on and build a bit of a monster with a k-series or ford durtec on throttle bodies.

Millington Diamond into a mk1 mx5 - just because why not!

BMW E28 with an E46 M3 S54 engine in velocity stacks, this has been done and it's just brilliant.

Lastly, I have a bit of a notion for a MK1 or MK2 Triumph 2000 on air, I reckon an E30 airlift kit could be made to work, straight 6 triumph engine with GT6 block and triple Webers would just be cool imo. Lots of Japanese wheels fit too, even better if an estate!

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
I was just day dreaming the other day about an RX8 with an SR20 in it , it’s odd cause I have experience with neither Mazda or Nissan , but I would just like to give it a go

RoniN

RMS Regular
76 MGB Roadster with a RX8 230 bhp engine and running gear.
Rover v8's, Vauxhall redtops, Ford duratec and cosworth engines have all been done. This would be something different.

Cheers

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
This is dangerous thread, I don’t need help coming up with silly ideas! :neutral:

SE5/5A Scimitar + BMW M60 is another one I would love to have.

Realistically, if I had a lotto win I'd have a collection of half finished projects and no new supercars :joy:.

The worst thing is I have access to the a35, mx5 and a selection of triumph 2000s already!

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
SE5/5A Scimitar + BMW M60 is another one I would love to have.

Realistically, if I had a lotto win I'd have a collection of half finished projects and no new supercars :joy:.

The worst thing is I have access to the a35, mx5 and a selection of triumph 2000s already!

Love A35’s! Even a fit A series one can boogie! Be stocking with a K!

Scimatars seem to be getting a lease of life these days, soft spot for them myself :heart:

BlueThunder2.jpg

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Love A35’s! Even a fit A series one can boogie! Be stocking with a K!

Scimatars seem to be getting a lease of life these days, soft spot for them myself :heart:

BlueThunder2.jpg

My A35 has a log book for historic rallying and has been in the family for longer than I've been alive but I have never seen it run, I was watching videos of the St Marys Trophy at the Goodwood Revival today and really want to get stuck into it, but it'll have t wait for a while.

My dad used to have a very nice mustard coloured scimitar that ended up cutting out and bursting into flames outside polypipe, there wasnt much left of the car by the time it was put out! We still have a half melted wolfrace slot mag hanging up in the garage from it.

Reactions: IL

Markhall

RMS Regular
Drives
Ax gt, defender
Happy enough with cars at the minute but i have a bike project im ready to get stuck into

Bought this k75s

38CDDCCF-53D1-4225-9640-8737F921FFAB.jpeg

To convert into a cafe scrambler like this.
DB1A4371-2798-42F1-8A6B-A8CC765339DB.png

Not fully decided on all the styles to go for. Would love to convert to spoked wheels but it seems like a big job

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
K-series in any old BL tin is just so right. I want to create a works spec'ish Marina Coupe with a K in it as a targa car.. Mostly because it's not the mainstream choice and it can work. Also, the Coupe is 'in stock'. Needs plenty of work though..

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
K-series in any old BL tin is just so right. I want to create a works spec'ish Marina Coupe with a K in it as a targa car.. Mostly because it's not the mainstream choice and it can work. Also, the Coupe is 'in stock'. Needs plenty of work though..

I do like the idea of being as cheeky as possible with the blue book! 6 cylinders not allowed but can build something 4 cylinder much quicker and it's fine!

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I would love to have an entire fleet of BTCC spec 90's and early 2000's saloons.

Realistic build is a another classic mini. I think that's the next thing on the list with the wee bro which will be alot of fun and get him hands on with older stuff. Probably quite a similar build to my last car on the exterior, interior would be alot different this time round and I would run a 1380 on bike carbs or a SC138016v.

I would love to build an RSR back date on a 930 911. However even basket cases are in mega money now and I dont think I am capable of the work myself.

I really want to restore an E46 M3 as a forever car but want to do another classic first. M3 will be a factory concours build.

Great thread idea this.

On a side note, do you ever dream up a project and do that much homework and thought into a project that by the time.you buy the car your bored of it already lol happens me often

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Mine has been for as long as I can remember, a real tidy MK2 Golf. Criteria is always the same, something you can drive to a car show on Saturday, a track day Sunday and still comfortable enough to go to work on Monday morning.

Seen this at edition 38 2015 and minds were blown.

4D787C16-27D0-4AB4-B8FE-F7C8895604B7.jpeg

5103C03C-9388-457D-A4A1-E2B9AD5A1AF1.jpeg

Attachments

• 023FD616-1E19-48DB-AD12-EBA4ABE37256.jpeg
    023FD616-1E19-48DB-AD12-EBA4ABE37256.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 47

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I do like the idea of being as cheeky as possible with the blue book! 6 cylinders not allowed but can build something 4 cylinder much quicker and it's fine!
Indeed, brought a Dolly Sprint axle home at Christmas for this as the stock axles are chocolate although very light. They were used in early live axle caterhams but even bigger power crossflows could see them destroyed. Even the sprint axle will need a 4.55 cwp and plated lsd to make it useable with 15" wheels. Ideally I need a pelum from a k powered FSO Polonez to make a fwd facing inlet which should be all but impossible to find. The search continues.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Mine has been for as long as I can remember, a real tidy MK2 Golf. Criteria is always the same, something you can drive to a car show on Saturday, a track day Sunday and still comfortable enough to go to work on Monday morning.

Seen this at edition 38 2015 and minds were blown.

View attachment 180901

View attachment 180902

(y)
Mate in work in Ingerland runs a Mk2 5 door with ITB's and Shrick cams etc with just over 200bhp. Sounds awesome, he uses it for sprints and drags and was daily driving until recently but he uses a mk5 for that now.

robert106

RMS Regular
Drives
172 clio
I really enjoy sleeper type projects, we have a berlingo multispace in the family and my brother and I have often idly chatted about a GTi 6 running gear swap, talk is cheap though! Lol

I think @RCT had one like this some time ago.

Even that transplant into a picasso would be hilarious fun.

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
On a side note, do you ever dream up a project and do that much homework and thought into a project that by the time.you buy the car your bored of it already lol happens me often

Not quite, tend to buy cars then figure out what to do with them, or plan the purchase and mods which change over time. The mx5 in particular has gone from being decked and kept clean to caged, battered with bilsteins and set up for targas.

A bike engine, something like a hyabusa turbo into a classic Fiat 500 or 850 coupe would also be the ticket!

I'd also like to do a Roadkill style build, i.e. absolute shed of a shell with a stupidly powerful v8 shoehorned in. Maybe a bit more safely done though!

RCT

RMS Regular
I really enjoy sleeper type projects, we have a berlingo multispace in the family and my brother and I have often idly chatted about a GTi 6 running gear swap, talk is cheap though! Lol

I think @RCT had one like this some time ago.

Even that transplant into a picasso would be hilarious fun.

I did indeed! Had it for around a year or so. I had so much fun in it, even my dad loved driving it. It was so practical as I could carry 5 people, the dog and even a welder if need be!

I went for the xsara vts as it has the 5 speed box so I never lost any steering lock. It used to be a pain in my dads 306 gti 6 years ago, so I planned it well. Also brake discs all round as I had a xsara Picasso/405 axle in it.

I was always asked, what the **** engine have you got in that.

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
I'd also like to do a Roadkill style build, i.e. absolute shed of a shell with a stupidly powerful v8 shoehorned in. Maybe a bit more safely done though!
The monte Carlo nascar is responsible for a sizeable portion of my more silly daydreams. Oh, what I would build if not curtailed by safety regulations.

A couple I do want to do, an rx8 with a dead renesis lifted out and a bmw m52tub28 set in. I always thought the rx8 was very pretty and very capable, and I'd like to combine that with an indestructible Engine I think would be suited to it.

Before the current crop of hotted up mpvs came out, I wanted to build a decked Toyota previa with a lairy paintjob.

I also wouldn't mind creating a replica of a little ford pickup which had a starring role in a film with Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner in it that I'm far too embarrassed to write the name of, although on reflection I'm sure it's way worse that I know the names of the main cast...
and also another little pickup, a black Toyota this time, from another film I know all the names of the cast of but is much more socially welcome, bttf1&3.

And talking of film cars, if anyone has a white 406 V6 saloon lying around, I be needing it.

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
Is it wrong I want to build a my transit it to fully customed tramp palace? Lol always like the idea of building a rat project but the idea of pi ssing on my paint striped panels just doesn’t cut it. Would the the finances and skills to go with half the stuff listed above but I’d be happy wit a 2jz dropped into a e30 or e36 and keep it sleeperish... ahhh I just love that sound

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.