Power of Attorney

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
All

Just seeking some advice or experience of other members if anyone has ever set up Enduring Power of Attorney.

My mum is 82, and recently had covid. Thankfully she has recovered, but it obviously played on her mind somewhat, and we had a conversation recently about how I would be able to sort out her affairs if she ever wasn't able to manage herself. I did a bit of googling, and it lookes like Enduring Power of Attorney would fit the bill.

As I understand it, we have signed the papers now (setting out any restrictions), but only register the Power of Attorney with the Office of Care and Protection as and when mum is no longer able to manager her own affairs.

I've downloaded the forms from The Law Society website, and mum and I completed and signed these, and they were witnessed by my aunt, but i also see there are a series of forms (EPA 1-4) on the NI Direct website - having read these, it looks like these are for the registration process, and and when that needs to happen.

Anyone any thoughts, they'd be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Niall

Dave..

RMS Regular
All

Just seeking some advice or experience of other members if anyone has ever set up Enduring Power of Attorney.

My mum is 82, and recently had covid. Thankfully she has recovered, but it obviously played on her mind somewhat, and we had a conversation recently about how I would be able to sort out her affairs if she ever wasn't able to manage herself. I did a bit of googling, and it lookes like Enduring Power of Attorney would fit the bill.

As I understand it, we have signed the papers now (setting out any restrictions), but only register the Power of Attorney with the Office of Care and Protection as and when mum is no longer able to manager her own affairs.

I've downloaded the forms from The Law Society website, and mum and I completed and signed these, and they were witnessed by my aunt, but i also see there are a series of forms (EPA 1-4) on the NI Direct website - having read these, it looks like these are for the registration process, and and when that needs to happen.

Anyone any thoughts, they'd be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Niall
My brother and I have this for my mother, her solicitor sent us a form to sign and when / if anything happens we have to as you said (my bold).

Cookies

RMS Regular
OP
Cookies
Drives
BMW
Niall,

My colleague Christina will be able to advise and assist with this. You can email her christina@boydricesolicitors.com or contact her on 02891817715.

Please make her aware that you are a member of RMS.

Kind regards

Neil
Thanks, Neil. I'll drop her a line tomorrow.

Very much appreciated.

Niall
My brother and I have this for my mother, her solicitor sent us a form to sign and when / if anything happens we have to as you said (my bold).
Good to know I'm along the right lines! Hopefully it's not too complicated.
Cheers.
Niall

Cookies

RMS Regular
OP
Cookies
Drives
BMW
Fairly straight forward process when both party's agree and still have their wits about them. Any decent solicitor should be able to sort it, I'd recommend going with Neil's firm.
Brilliant. Thanks mate.

Cookies

RMS Regular
OP
Cookies
Drives
BMW
Just to update you all. I spoke with one of @NeilMcG colleagues, Christina, in Boyd Rice solicitors this afternoon, and received genuinely useful and excellent advice.

It was really worthwhile to talk through all the eventualities and circumstances, and Christina was able to advise on the most appropriate course of action.

Very many thanks, Neil. It was great to chat to Christina. Please pass on my sincerest thanks.

Niall

i30N_Paul

RMS Regular
Drives
i30 N
Just read this thread and it shows that there are still a lot of decent genuine people in the world that are willing to help each other out. One of the greatest things I see in this forum everyday is the sense of community, friendship, and willingness to help each other out were possible.

NeilMcG

RMS Trader
Drives
VW GTe
Just to update you all. I spoke with one of @NeilMcG colleagues, Christina, in Boyd Rice solicitors this afternoon, and received genuinely useful and excellent advice.

It was really worthwhile to talk through all the eventualities and circumstances, and Christina was able to advise on the most appropriate course of action.

Very many thanks, Neil. It was great to chat to Christina. Please pass on my sincerest thanks.

Niall
Niall,
No problem at all, my colleagues and I are always more than happy to help Forum members in whatever way we can.
Glad you found the discussion with Christina worthwhile.
Kind regards

Neil