Private plate and buying a new car

Cranston88

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk5 GTI
Quick question guys!

I'm in the process of looking to change the family car, and my current car has a private plate. Hoping someone can give me some guidance on the process for transferring the plate.

- I'm hoping to trade it in against the new car on Saturday. I assume I need the plate taken off by then, however I'm concerned that the dealership wont be able to take ownership of my current car as the V5 will still have my private registration on it? Is this the case?
- with regards to insurance, I am certain I need to let my current insurer know it is on a different reg, but keen to leave it as late as possible (maybe even the morning of the exchange) because they charge £50 to notify of the change of REG and then an additional £50 to register the new car. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Put the reg on retention tonight and explain to the dealer that you are waiting for the V5 to arrive with the new reg to see if it’ll be a problem.

Not all insurance companies charge for making changes. I imagine the only charge for the new car will be any applicable increase (or decrease) in premium.

davyk31

RMS Regular
As above stick it on retention. Can be fine online. The new V5 comes very quickly and will be with you early next week. All dealers should be ok with that.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
I took my reg of the R earlier this year using the online service. I had the replacement V5 in about a week.

I'm nearly sure you can do the transfer/trade in to the dealer online now too although I may be wrong?

avo5021

RMS Regular
Did you get sorted ?

I’ve just done this myself and it was painless, paid the £80 and the VEL to the dealer and they did it all, all I had to do was give him the reference number of my V5C(NI), he did the transfer from the O/H’s car back to the original reg and the transfer of my plate on to her new car.

You end up with a raft of new log books but I just gave them all to him bar the one we needed in the end, he even put new plates on the new car and kept hold of my old gel plates off her old car for me, couldn’t fault him.

That was Nick Bonar Cars Ltd

Cranston88

RMS Regular
OP
Cranston88
Drives
Mk5 GTI
Did you get sorted ?

I’ve just done this myself and it was painless, paid the £80 and the VEL to the dealer and they did it all, all I had to do was give him the reference number of my V5C(NI), he did the transfer from the O/H’s car back to the original reg and the transfer of my plate on to her new car.

You end up with a raft of new log books but I just gave them all to him bar the one we needed in the end, he even put new plates on the new car and kept hold of my old gel plates off her old car for me, couldn’t fault him.

That was Nick Bonar Cars Ltd
I did get sorted, followed the advice of some above and took it off that night. The dealership were looking £150 to remove and transfer, and knowing i could do it myself for virtually half that i went ahead and did it myself. Got the new car yesterday after waiting for the new V5 to come out, and will be sticking it on the new car in the next few days (y)

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Did this last week, my insurance company didn’t charge me for changing the reg, but they tried to crack on there was a £25 charge to change vehicle on the policy. I soon talked them out of that 😂

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
did the same myself there around 3-4 weeks ago, couldn't believe how straight forward the whole process was!! some change to back 10 years ago when you needed English cars to register plates on first and 6 weeks for reg swaps :joy:
@Cranston88 150 quid for something that takes 50 seconds to do I know what my answer would have been!
now I dealt with CH and I will be honest they were more than accommodating and very decent fellas

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
did the same myself there around 3-4 weeks ago, couldn't believe how straight forward the whole process was!! some change to back 10 years ago when you needed English cars to register plates on first and 6 weeks for reg swaps :joy:
@Cranston88 150 quid for something that takes 50 seconds to do I know what my answer would have been!
now I dealt with CH and I will be honest they were more than accommodating and very decent fellas
I remember buying a plate for my ex about 12 years ago. The company had to put it on a moped first 😂

Cranston88

RMS Regular
OP
Cranston88
Drives
Mk5 GTI

As you can imagine I was quite surprised about the ask for £150 when I was about to hand over £15k. When I asked about it, I was told it was the admin involved in swapping it over that led to the increased fee. I think it took me less than 2 mins to do everything I needed to remove the reg and will take about the same time when I put it on the new motor!
Madness

SJM2016

RMS Regular
Drives
Green A-Class
As you can imagine I was quite surprised about the ask for £150 when I was about to hand over £15k. When I asked about it, I was told it was the admin involved in swapping it over that led to the increased fee. I think it took me less than 2 mins to do everything I needed to remove the reg and will take about the same time when I put it on the new motor!
Madness

Do alot of them in work and a £150 admin fee is daylight robbery! Not much admin at all, two minutes to take the plate off, pay the £80 and then assign it to a different car. At most it takes 5 minutes. In work we only charge the standard £80 that the DVLA charge.