Private plate query

jinjur

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 172
Hi all,

Okey dokey....it is wifey mcwifeface's birthday next month ( a big'un ) and among other things, I was thinking of getting her a quirky little reg for her car.

Now, I have never done this before so please excuse the probably quite dumb questions.

First question, I was wondering if there were any local boys who would look after stuff like this of if RMS'ers get any fancy pants rates for these things anywhere? The plate that I have my eye on is hardly that fancy, probably means more to her than anyone else on earth.....so it seems to be only ~160 quid on most sites online.

I was also wondering, that most sites seem to ask for 160 for the plate then 80 to allocate it to a car. Is it possible to get the plate without allocating it ?(wifey is also looking at another car.....i know.....while i drive the sheeetbox) so don't know if it would be a waste allocating it to this one.....not sure right now.

What happens to her old reg? Does that disappear into regland?

Any idea how long these things take to do? i have probably been a bit slow off the mark given I have 3 weeks left :/

Thanks all

J

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
Hi all,

Okey dokey....it is wifey mcwifeface's birthday next month ( a big'un ) and among other things, I was thinking of getting her a quirky little reg for her car.

Now, I have never done this before so please excuse the probably quite dumb questions.

First question, I was wondering if there were any local boys who would look after stuff like this of if RMS'ers get any fancy pants rates for these things anywhere? The plate that I have my eye on is hardly that fancy, probably means more to her than anyone else on earth.....so it seems to be only ~160 quid on most sites online.

I was also wondering, that most sites seem to ask for 160 for the plate then 80 to allocate it to a car. Is it possible to get the plate without allocating it ?(wifey is also looking at another car.....i know.....while i drive the sheeetbox) so don't know if it would be a waste allocating it to this one.....not sure right now.

Any idea how long these things take to do? i have probably been a bit slow off the mark given I have 3 weeks left :/

Thanks all

J
would CNZ184 be any use?

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Hi all,

Thanks all

J

If you buy a reg online at the DVLA website the certificate will arrive within 3-5 days in my experience (I have bought 3 regs). You can then simply go online and transfer the reg onto whatever car you want to (must be done mon-sat 8am-6pm). The transfer fee is included, which means more money upfront, but makes it simple to get it on the car when the times comes. You have 10 years to get it on a car, so unless your wife is really bad at making a decision, you should be ok. You asked about the old eg - I'm not sure - with a car that was registered on the mainland orignially, I think you can get it back on at the end when you remove the personalised reg, as for a NI registration, I don't know, but I think they are scrapped!

jinjur

RMS Regular
OP
jinjur
Drives
Clio 172
That's perfect....thanks man.

It is an mainland reg so that's a good point.

J

pablo

RMS Moderator
If you buy a reg online at the DVLA website the certificate will arrive within 3-5 days in my experience (I have bought 3 regs). You can then simply go online and transfer the reg onto whatever car you want to (must be done mon-sat 8am-6pm). The transfer fee is included, which means more money upfront, but makes it simple to get it on the car when the times comes. You have 10 years to get it on a car, so unless your wife is really bad at making a decision, you should be ok. You asked about the old eg - I'm not sure - with a car that was registered on the mainland orignially, I think you can get it back on at the end when you remove the personalised reg, as for a NI registration, I don't know, but I think they are scrapped!

you don't even need to wait on the cert from memory all you need are two numbers, one from the V5 and one for the plate which is on the cert but also available online iirc.

jinjur

RMS Regular
OP
jinjur
Drives
Clio 172
That makes it much easier tbh.

Spot on Pabs.....cheers

J

jinjur

RMS Regular
OP
jinjur
Drives
Clio 172
Gonna knock the pie out of that site this evening :grinning:

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
My old Focus was registered as XIL •••• then I put a cherished reg on.

When I transferred my cherished reg to my new car the Focus got XIL •••• back again.

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Holy thread bump...
Just looking to do something similar but changing a NI reg to a private plate bought off DVLA Registrations ,
Sorry I’m a newbie at this ...

Just to confirm- once I buy at the price which says includes VAT and £80 assignment cost do I get a reference that I can use immediately to get it registered?
And is that at post office and the forms there to do it?
Looking to buy online tonight and get new plates on tomorrow If possible ...

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
If you buy from the DVA direct they'll send you an email with a reference you can use (you'll also get a paper copy in the post).

You can then go online and put the registration onto the car. Don't need to go anywhere near the post office.

Takes all of 5 mins.

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Ah cheers!
I’m excited - never had a 3 digit plate and matching one for the Missus ..
Matches our names too...

MCZ 677
DNZ 677

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
If you buy from the DVA direct they'll send you an email with a reference you can use (you'll also get a paper copy in the post).

You can then go online and put the registration onto the car. Don't need to go anywhere near the post office.

Takes all of 5 mins.

I got a 9 digit Reference in the email, but when online to assign the Reg it was asking for the full 14 digit certificate number ?

Edit- Just seen the instructions say can use email ref number- but online form popped up showing 4 boxes for 14 digit number...ah will try again tomoro!

Also - I pay my Tax monthly - does this transfer over or do I need to go to PO and re-tax car?!

Last edited:

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
Don't forget to ring your insurance company too and tell them of the reg change. I nearly forgot when I switched mine. They also charged me a cool £50 for the privilege.

Tax will transfer over automatically.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Don't forget to ring your insurance company too and tell them of the reg change. I nearly forgot when I switched mine. They also charged me a cool £50 for the privilege.

Tax will transfer over automatically.

Me too. Then I had to change to my actual reg because I made a typo the first time 🤦‍♂️

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Well seems like I have to wait for the V750 in the post before I can assign it onto my car,
I had hoped to get the number in an email or online but doesn’t seem to work like that

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
I think it's just the code of the retention cert you need, if you ask or email they'd maybe give you that? Afaik online transfer has to be done during office hours but is instant more or less.

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Went online chat today with DVLA and they said I’d have to wait for V750 in post, I’ll maybe try ringing tomoro , want to get it on car ASAP :grinning: