Private reg and new vehicle ownership

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
guys I’m collecting my car tomorrow, obviously the DVLA need to be notified that I’m the new owner of the car I’m buying so I’ll be sending the new keeper slip off in the post (can it be done online?) also will need to inform them I no longer own my old car.

Do I have to wait until I get the new tax book of the new car in my name before I can put my plate onto it or can I put it on before that, using the online thing? Or would that just confuse the dvla?

RCT

RMS Regular
Yeah wait to you get the tax book with your details on it then the plate can go straight onto it online by using the 11 digit code on front of tax book.

You can take your plate off your old car now and have it sitting on retention ready to go to the new car once the book arrives.

Remember it’s only between 7am-7pm that you can do it.

Brennan

RMS Regular
OP
Brennan
Drives
BMW
Thanks lads, looks like I’ll have to wait then lol :weary_face:

is there a quick online way of changing keeper or does it have to be done by pigeon carrier?

RCT

RMS Regular
Thanks lads, looks like I’ll have to wait then lol :weary_face:

is there a quick online way of changing keeper or does it have to be done by pigeon carrier?

Pigeon carrier although it’s normally sorted in a week or less. Depends how busy they are and plate change was last month on mainland so might not be too bad this month.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
when you buy the car as long as it is between 7-7 then get the person/dealer selling the car to do the paperwork online, this means a book is out usually 3-5 working days, taxing the vehicle has to be done at the post office as it cant be done online with the new keeper supplement, however what I do but then I have trade plates so I can still avoid tax cameras is wait out the 3-5 days until the new book comes out and tax it online and it back dates to the start of the month anyways,
the only downfall to that plan is you can clip a tax camera or you could be an unlucky sod and get a fine but doubtful.
once you have the book in your hand and in your name then assign you plate online during the same time window and job done all updates straight away.
the minute you post anything to DVLA your gonna be in a waiting list which atm books are taking around 3 weeks and plates are 2-6 as it happened to me recently as the vehicle I was taking the plate off was not taxed or sorned for a period of time (previous owner)

hope this helps

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
If there has been a break in tax you can’t put the reg on online and need to post it off.

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
You can do the new owner online, but only if you do it as the seller, and through the seller portal, not as the buyer. I was advised to do that by the DVLA themselves when I rang to see why I couldn't get it to work online.

Cooks