That's a big step forward lovely work on the bracketry. :cool:

Reactions: Ged

Ged

RMS Regular
OP
Ged
Drives
sexmo VTS
Cheers, @FM155 Feel like I've a bit of a 2nd wind this week made good progress then had a day off as one of the dogs decided to gash himeself needing 14 staples and looking after. So stuck at home in the shed and managed to get the steering started.

Got the steering box roughly clamped in place and had to shorten the steering link 300mm to match the axle, I intend to make a spud to sleeve the bar and add the mounting for the drag link into the spud. But for now it was just cut it and tacced it up. It also allowed me to measure the Id and wall thickness of the tube.

DSC_0454.JPG

DSC_0452.JPG
DSC_0453.JPG

With it cut and refitted I can now get an idea of where things are going to be, still need to get an airbag and shock in over the axle so want to keep it as far foward as possible without getting into a big angle on the drag link. Ill be moving the box up a little to allow for more axle clearence to the drop arm or might look at a defender cranked drop arm.
83410773_2684872051746228_1476509949914775552_n.jpg
83912399_2684872015079565_6213231288191549440_n.jpg

Then spent the rest of the day at a friends machine shop using the lathes and mills to get these finished. Hoping to get them fitted and start looking at wheels and tyres to roll it out of the shed soon :confounded:

84339747_2684871991746234_1813098260500316160_n.jpg

Cheers,
Ged

Dave..

RMS Regular
Awesome work, this thread tells me I should never try restoring something as my skills are zero.

Ged

RMS Regular
OP
Ged
Drives
sexmo VTS
Its more brute force and ignorance than skill sometimes @David.S

Got the adapters all fitted up there last night and like a kid with a new toy I couldnt wait to see what it was all going to look like so today I started reserching tyres and calling up commercial tyre places who mainly didnt want to know, until I called modern tyres in newry where I got someone who knew the score couldnt help enough and after a rummage through thier stock with a tape measure and some chatting I left with a tyre and rim I thought would work for nothing to try. Really couldnt have asked for more, ill let you all tell me your thoughts but I think it looks pretty good. just need to get the 6 proper ones now.

DSC_0460.JPG
DSC_0461.JPG
DSC_0466.JPG

The tyre fitted is a 295/60R22.5 on a 8.25" wide rim, might use 315s in the rear but undecided yet.

DSC_0501.JPG
DSC_0504.JPG
DSC_0477.JPG
DSC_0479.JPG
DSC_0481.JPG
DSC_0482.JPG

Fully aired out this will be the stance it may need a little roll of the arch but im happy.

DSC_0486.JPG
DSC_0490.JPG

Steering angles seem ok though I might move the radius arms under the chassis if i need more angle currently around 40 deg. The 130 was a pig to turn anywhere

DSC_0494.JPG

Cheers,
Ged

Last edited:

avsd

RMS Regular
Drives
Mercedes/C350Est
I like it. The front wheel suits the age of the truck and look good fully lowered.

Ged

RMS Regular
OP
Ged
Drives
sexmo VTS
Keeping the pressure on this weekend managed to get a fair bit done on the truck

Wheels all cleaned up ready to polish, then stripped the front end to get the steering box and panhard rod mocked up.
DSC_0506.JPG

DSC_0516.JPG
DSCPDC_0003_BURST20200202105334342_COVER.JPG

DSC_0524.JPG
DSC_0525.JPG

I think ive enough steering lock to let me away the 90 deg swing on the steering box hasnt got much more left in it for more at the current ratios..

With my head suitably fried moved onto something more straightfoward and stripped rebuild and painted the rear calipers

DSC_0528.JPG
DSC_0535.JPG

Cheers,
Ged

Ged

RMS Regular
OP
Ged
Drives
sexmo VTS
Spent the weekend working on the cooling pack found an old rad setup and intercooler in the scrap yard for mocking everything up. I wanted to fit the biggest possible rad and intercooler in the space avalible so close mounting them was required. Also managed to get the boost pipes and water hoses all mocked up with scrap metal I had lieing around and the radiator brackets made.

DSC_0541.JPG
DSC_0542.JPG
DSC_0543.JPG
DSC_0544.JPG
DSC_0545.JPG

Need to get the correct couplings for everything and 3" stainless bends and pipe to remake the hot side piping. Ill order a new intercooler and radiator come the final build.

Cheers,
Ged

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
That's pretty much Bob on. I've not seen any of these posts because work has been a bit mad, you've made serious progress! :cool:

Ged

RMS Regular
OP
Ged
Drives
sexmo VTS
Looking great there! Sure the turbo is big enough? :innocent: 😁

Hehe its only a baby turbo for a cummins HE351W im focused on spool and drivability 400hp will be pleanty for this one, Still deciding whether to make a bracket for the wastegate or just tac weld it closed and let it make 40psi :imp: which was the way Davey ran it on the ram with the hose clamped off lol.

That's pretty much Bob on. I've not seen any of these posts because work has been a bit mad, you've made serious progress! :cool:

Cheers, there may now be a slight spanner in the works slowing me down. Doesnt help im easily distracted by shiney things.
But ive been welding and ordering away for the GMC should have an update after the weekend.

In the mean time ill leave this here, im sure there will be a thread at somestage by the owner.
FB_IMG_1581371619165.jpg

Bit different to spending a day cutting it out of something in the scrap yard and 2-3 weeks cleaning and rebuilding it.

Always good to have more 'MURICA in the shed.

Cheers,
Ged

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Are you polishing the wheels or would you just buy a set of alcoa alloy wheels that some of the lorry boys run?

Ged

RMS Regular
OP
Ged
Drives
sexmo VTS
Are you polishing the wheels or would you just buy a set of alcoa alloy wheels that some of the lorry boys run?

They are Alcoas, still saving up for the rears, commerical wheels would make your eyes water. ill polish them when Im far enough along they wont end up scratched.

That LS3 would look lovely in the truck :innocent: 😁 😅

No no nothing with spark plugs here, need proper torque. :p

Been working away, keep forgetting to take pictures ill get some up of progress, alot of finishing welding being done.
Got some time on design to work on front shock and spring placement. My bags are now in Granning waiting to be picked up. So started trying to fit a 14" travel shock inside the wheel well but isnt going to be handy, the fact most are 600mm closed centers but ive a concept drawn up. Ill probably brace the tower to the chassis at some point but these will get me going. Also FOX seem to be very expensive and the only thing value is Pro Comp but never used them.

gmc19.PNG

gmc020.PNG

gmc20.PNG

You can start and see the method to my madness as with 12ft ramps I should be able to winch or drive even the lowest things on a bed, might but a slight bever tail on to improve it further.

gmc025.PNG
gmc026.PNG

Cheers,
Ged

Last edited:

Ged

RMS Regular
OP
Ged
Drives
sexmo VTS
A weekend worth of work and a bit futher on, I never got the profiled parts for the towers so had to spend my time finishing alot of the things id roughed out, also nice to stick a line through some jobs as completed.

All of the parts ive been ordering have been turning up so the bags are here, these are the same ones i used on the landy but ill be making full use of the travel this time.

DSC_0576.jpg
DSC_0591.jpg

Also got my brake pedal valve, the actual pedal will need modifying to mount to the 45 deg bulkhead instead of horisontally as intended in the DAF.

DSC_0578.jpg

Finished out the top and bottom rad hoses and welded everything up

DSC_0583.jpg
DSC_0584.jpg

Moved onto the backend and drilled welded and bolted all the mounts for the axle, its now in there bar some shocks and shock mounts.

DSC_0601.jpg

Mocked up some bump stops for the front end these are off an Iveco tector and should be just the right height.
IMG_2241.jpg

After I spent a few hours working on the exhaust got the downpipe well on and tacced up will be a squeeze getting the 4" out underneath but I have a cunning plan.

IMG_2226.jpg

Then sat back and stared at it a little while, still think its the coolest project ive done.
IMG_2240.jpg

Well tomorrows a new week and ive a big list started its literally the length of the whiteboard. See what fun can be had tomorrow.

Cheers,
Ged

Ged

RMS Regular
OP
Ged
Drives
sexmo VTS
They say if it was easy everyone would do it, this installment is defintaly inline with that.

So I set about the front suspension last week. Bag mounts and bags. Got the parts cut folded welded mounted.

88360903_2711721765727923_7302217132241059840_n.jpg
89056282_2711721829061250_2456843334807715840_n.jpg

Then tested the travel and clearence etc all looking good

88175392_2712020185698081_5116407485309124608_n.jpg
87965096_2712020152364751_8471054419847282688_n.jpg

All sorted we can go up and down now

88237136_2712020115698088_3097019673544228864_n.jpg
88998067_2712020355698064_5343240986136936448_n.jpg

However things I didnt have at the time..... brake calipers and air chambers.. they couldnt be that big right?? After a quick test fit it was apperent there was some slight clearence issues.

DSC_0657.JPG

So I decided to burn it all to the ground.. just kidding but it was an option that was seriously considered.

I looked where the bags could relocate to, options included under the chassis but quickly ruled that out as it would leave the truck on stilts, foward was out as the steering is located there, so backwards.. doing that id be moving more into the brake chamber. So after looking I thought I could swap the hubs left to right to effectivly move the caliper to the fowards position, so I tryed with every tool I had to push the kingpins out you name it I tried it but had no success, really need a 30T press. In the short term for mock up i elected to simply flip the axle backwards. Sure the castor is wrong but im not going anywhere fast at the minute.

DSC_0663.JPG

You can also see in the background while I was pondering the issue I made a start on the exhaust to still be moving fowards.

DSC_0662.JPG
DSC_0667.JPG

Now that looks more like it will work I moved onwards redrilled and remounted everything modified/tweaked what I had already and got the shocks fitted.
Its not finsihed but ill wait till I strip it before its gusseted and finish weld it out

89482277_2718571111709655_7945029661774315520_n.jpg
89318143_2718571028376330_6627544964802805760_n.jpg

Now that we where sucking diesel I finished out the rear chassis cut outs and moved the cab to drill the final radius arm mounts and got it sitting pretty good.

Front still goes a little lower than the rear but I dont want to start a chassis notch.

88321399_2718570991709667_2480714299182415872_n.jpg

Waiting on my propshaft and rear wheels it will soon be a rolling chassis.

Cheers,
Ged

Dave..

RMS Regular
They say if it was easy everyone would do it, this installment is defintaly inline with that.

So I set about the front suspension last week. Bag mounts and bags. Got the parts cut folded welded mounted.

View attachment 268309 View attachment 268310

Then tested the travel and clearence etc all looking good

View attachment 268308 View attachment 268307

All sorted we can go up and down now

View attachment 268311View attachment 268313

However things I didnt have at the time..... brake calipers and air chambers.. they couldnt be that big right?? After a quick test fit it was apperent there was some slight clearence issues.

View attachment 268316

So I decided to burn it all to the ground.. just kidding but it was an option that was seriously considered.

I looked where the bags could relocate to, options included under the chassis but quickly ruled that out as it would leave the truck on stilts, foward was out as the steering is located there, so backwards.. doing that id be moving more into the brake chamber. So after looking I thought I could swap the hubs left to right to effectivly move the caliper to the fowards position, so I tryed with every tool I had to push the kingpins out you name it I tried it but had no success, really need a 30T press. In the short term for mock up i elected to simply flip the axle backwards. Sure the castor is wrong but im not going anywhere fast at the minute.

View attachment 268318

You can also see in the background while I was pondering the issue I made a start on the exhaust to still be moving fowards.

View attachment 268317View attachment 268319

Now that looks more like it will work I moved onwards redrilled and remounted everything modified/tweaked what I had already and got the shocks fitted.
Its not finsihed but ill wait till I strip it before its gusseted and finish weld it out

View attachment 268322View attachment 268321

Now that we where sucking diesel I finished out the rear chassis cut outs and moved the cab to drill the final radius arm mounts and got it sitting pretty good.

Front still goes a little lower than the rear but I dont want to start a chassis notch.

View attachment 268324

Waiting on my propshaft and rear wheels it will soon be a rolling chassis.

Cheers,
Ged
Will the cab need extended to give you some leg room? I saw a programme on Kindig It Design - Custom Car Restoration and Auto Fabrication Shop - they had to lengthen the truck cab so 6` tall people could sit in comfort.
They made it look easy but it needed a lot of metal work and bespoke glass.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Love this, have always hand a hankering for an old american truck of this era. Have you contacted the original owners to see if they have any photos of their trucks from back in that era?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
That's a great idea, from their website they are proud of their heritage. May well have something.

How on earth did it end up in NI though, all the way from California, lol.

Ged

RMS Regular
OP
Ged
Drives
sexmo VTS
Will the cab need extended to give you some leg room? I saw a programme on Kindig It Design - Custom Car Restoration and Auto Fabrication Shop - they had to lengthen the truck cab so 6` tall people could sit in comfort.
They made it look easy but it needed a lot of metal work and bespoke glass.

Ive been in it and its really roomy, maybe some of the smaller pickups etc may have a smaller cab but the full size cab on this is great, but then again im comparing it to my defenders which are terribly uncomfortable. Im working on a tilt slide column and having the luxury of putting all the pedals where i want should really allow this to be a pleasure to drive

Love this, have always hand a hankering for an old american truck of this era. Have you contacted the original owners to see if they have any photos of their trucks from back in that era?

No not yet I have wanted to get it a little further along but I hoped to get some history at some point sure it could tell a few storys being almost 70 years old. Would be really cool to see some of it.

That's a great idea, from their website they are proud of their heritage. May well have something.

How on earth did it end up in NI though, all the way from California, lol.

The story I have so far it was a non runner when bought in California in 2014 then imported into Scotland by Jim Horn, who had it since 2015 but never worked on it, I then bought it last year and got it shipped to NI, But thats all I really know first hand.

The VIN decyphers as a "35" 350 series "3" Long wheel base "24" 248 cubic inch engine "C" Conventional cab then the actual number shows that it was produced in 1953 out of Pontiac Michagan factory.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Definitely a neighbourhood lumber yard, be great to share some pictures of the truck with them when it's a roller at least.
Screenshot_20200310-150657_Maps.jpg

The build is still going strong, was thinking could you fit the air brake chambers remotely to allow you to use the axle in the original position? You are committed now but was just a thought..