PSA Abbeycentre Smart Parking fines

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

adam1942

RMS Regular
Drives
2015 F56
All - Just be aware that if you or a family member have been given a fine for parking for less than four hours to contact Abbeycentre. It seems they sent out load of fines for people staying less than 4 hours (which is the free parking alottment) and in some cases people who stayed less than 15 minutes also got fines.

My mother got one and it looks like this. She was there for 2 hours 8 minutes and almost paid it luckily I got to her first.

upload_2018-3-14_21-25-29.png

Abbeycentre are saying to message them the reg and parking charge notice reference and they'll get it cancelled - It will get the annoying letters stopped at least.

upload_2018-3-14_21-26-25.png

Also it seems people are saying that there is currently no planning permission and it is in tomorrows papers for objections from the public but thats for another thread.

Probably best to pass it on to older folks who cant see this on facebook as my mum was just about to pay it without thought as it was 2 hours 8 minutes - she assumed she read it wrong and was a 2 hour parking window for free not 4.

Last edited:

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Didn't even know this was in operation in the Scebbycentre! So if you park for more than 4 hours they're looking you to pay?

Sure these private companies can't enforce anyway?

adam1942

RMS Regular
OP
adam1942
Drives
2015 F56
They cant @DaddyC as far as I know but I'd be more worried about the amount of old people down there that are now going to get fines for staying small amount of times when they shouldn't be getting fined!

They're official looking documents making all of the right sounds and I'm sure they're make a mint with old people over the next week who just accept and pay it with fear of losing £100 instead of £60 if not paid up quickly. Complete disgrace that those people have to contact Abbeycentre and they cannot just mass cancel all of the parking fines.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Build and build more shops and wipe out parking space for people to use the shops...then need to charge for parking. What a way to try and kill off business lol

Then issue dodgy illegal parking tickets. May as well flatten it and build houses

pablo

RMS Moderator
seems there is more to this, from something I read on FB

- abbeycentre shops didnt introduce the charge, the landlord did. It applies to stays over 4hrs (fairly reasonable to stopp eople using it as a park & ride).
- the multistorey part however, is subject to charge at all times.

There was huge miscommunication about the latter part and thats where the confusion came from. sounds like it was badly handled by the parking people, and that abbeycentre shops are doing their best to get people reimbursed etc.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Disabled and mother and baby spaces are in the multistorey, could argue discrimination there

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I got done at connswater

Went in to starbucks at 0644 and left at 0650 or there abouts

Returned at 1335 and left around 1340 and they did me for being in the carbpark from 0644 - 1340 lol

They were able to attach my first arrival photo and second exit photo and claim I was there all day - I contacted starbucks about it and they sorted it for me

pablo

RMS Moderator
*** STATEMENT FROM NEWRIVER RE CAR PARKING AT ABBEY CENTRE ***

"NewRiver, in conjunction with Smart Parking Ltd. have listened to our Abbey Centre shoppers and taken your concerns on board. As a result we have decided to restore 'up to 4 hours free parking, across the entire site'. You can therefore park within all car parks (A, B, C Level 1 and C Level 2 & 3) for free for up to four hours.

If you wish to park and shop for a longer period of time, please park in the Long Stay Car Park C, Level 2 & 3 (the multi-story) and pay a tariff of £1.50 per day (ie. until midnight).

We have also made the decision to reduce the No Return restriction from 90 minutes to 30 minutes.

We apologise for any confusion caused thus far. We have experienced teething problems, settling on a solution that works for all.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
While I know how annoying this is having to pay for parking .... I can also see where Abbey Centre is coming from as there would be a lot of people taking advantage of the parking for work or even to park and share lifts. Then they no doubt have some of their more annoying customers complaining they cant get parked when they come to shop.

But thankfully we live in good ole Norn Iron where parking fines from anyone but the roads service arent worth a damn lol

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
While I know how annoying this is having to pay for parking .... I can also see where Abbey Centre is coming from as there would be a lot of people taking advantage of the parking for work or even to park and share lifts. Then they no doubt have some of their more annoying customers complaining they cant get parked when they come to shop.

But thankfully we live in good ole Norn Iron where parking fines from anyone but the roads service arent worth a damn lol

Also not a lot of point having lots of shops...and staff nowhere to park to get into work to run those shops either. It may have decent transport from some areas etc...but as everyone knows public transport etc does not work for many.

Places like that, and hospitals etc should have adequate staff parking as well as customer parking.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Also not a lot of point having lots of shops...and staff nowhere to park to get into work to run those shops either. It may have decent transport from some areas etc...but as everyone knows public transport etc does not work for many.

Places like that, and hospitals etc should have adequate staff parking as well as customer parking.

Agreed on the staff parking but that should be agreed between the companies and the landlords

pablo

RMS Moderator
Agreed on the staff parking but that should be agreed between the companies and the landlords

agreed, the staff need to work out some sort of permit. 4hrs is plenty of time to "do" the abbeycentre lol so no customers should really be affected.

Bedhead

RMS Regular
Drives
Mundaneo, Scudo

Gotta love Abbeycentre, any time it gets busy, the free spaces will be bunged and people will be forced to pay to park in the multi story. It was a complete ****show at christmas parking wise and that was before people will all be wanting the free spaces.

Smart Parking are a complete shambles.

pablo

RMS Moderator
Gotta love Abbeycentre, any time it gets busy, the free spaces will be bunged and people will be forced to pay to park in the multi story. It was a complete ****show at christmas parking wise and that was before people will all be wanting the free spaces.

you only pay after 4 hours. Same for all spaces/areas

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D

What was different about this Christmas than any other lol

I avoid the place from late November!

gaz_5103

RMS Regular
Drives
SC Range Rover S
Avoiding the fines and them being ‘not enforceable’ is all well and good, but surely all they will have to do is clamp your car next time you visit the abbey centre and your registration is flagged on their system? Then you’ll be stung for all sorts of late payments fines no doubt.

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Where do you even pay if you are there for more than 4 hours?

I never even knew this was a thing at the abbeycentre.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
I got one of these last week. Other half is on FB and said the Abbeycentre FB page will cancel them if you get in touch (due to poor signage or communication on limits).

Got a letter today from the parking firm saying it was cancelled (y)

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
I got one of these last week. Other half is on FB and said the Abbeycentre FB page will cancel them if you get in touch (due to poor signage or communication on limits).

Got a letter today from the parking firm saying it was cancelled (y)

LMAO!

What a **** up

adam1942

RMS Regular
OP
adam1942
Drives
2015 F56
Sure it didn't even have planning permission so apparently none of the fines where enforceable. Complete farce.

thomas_lad

RMS Regular
Anyone had to pay of of these recently? The misses got one for being in the car park 4 hours and 15mins.15 mins over. What is the legal stance on ignoring these ones?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.