Public charging points

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Thats a good call actually as I haven't tried that one yet!

Still faster than a Tesla regardless :p

tesla-model-s-2021-012x2_w1200_h900.jpg

Don't be silly.

Anyway, I'm now charging....and being charged. :sob:

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
Using public chargers will also be a pricey option but likely still less than petrol or diesel. Charging at home costs me 25% of the cost of petrol and given I charge at work mostly which is free then it’s even better.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Roughly equivalent to 65mpg in a DERV, so still respectable enough.

At home it would be about 250mpg DERV equivalent based on the above.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Charging at home costs us about £18 for the etron which gives approx 150-160 miles so equivalent of around 55-60mpg. Still better than a petrol car for equivalent size and town driving.

The newer one we are getting will cost a bit more to charge but also has a better range so equivalent of around 75mpg. To use a public charger it wouldn’t really be any better than running an ICE car.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
@big_pete if you get your plaid you can take the win 😂

I’ll not be buying another EV again unfortunately 😞 had a notion to change the Tesla for a new M4 and the constant feedback was sorry we won’t take an EV as a trade in.

Once I checked what I owed and where the market has went on them used, changing isn’t even an option now anyway 😂

I do too many miles to lease one and I’m so upside down despite a huge deposit and high monthlies I’m still in huge negative equity 😔 so it’s completely and utterly ruined the experience for me.

The only upside of it all is the fact the car itself is awesome and the tax incentives make it make sense to keep too.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
Charging at home costs us about £18 for the etron which gives approx 150-160 miles so equivalent of around 55-60mpg. Still better than a petrol car for equivalent size and town driving.

The newer one we are getting will cost a bit more to charge but also has a better range so equivalent of around 75mpg. To use a public charger it wouldn’t really be any better than running an ICE car.
No off peak tariff?

salster

RMS Regular
Drives
mini
so basically if you want to change a milk float you have to sell it privately or change to another float. i didn't know other garages were not taking them as trade-ins.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
No off peak tariff?
We are with SSE I don’t think we have an off peak tariff, think it’s around 25p per Kwh all the time. We were going to change to click energy but I heard they were upping the tariff too so no saving to be had.
so basically if you want to change a milk float you have to sell it privately or change to another float. i didn't know other garages were not taking them as trade-ins.

I didn’t know this either, leasing one is the only way to go with them imo and again it needs to be a good deal and a good saving to justify it. They are just too expensive to buy and they depreciation on them seems crazy, also would never own one that’s out of manufacture warranty so that probably kills the used market with them.

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
Lots of stuff have dropped in value not just EVs. The Defender I sold a month ago is now at £8k less on a We Buy Any Car quote. Teslas in particular have taken a big hit due to over supply, the launch of Model Y severely killing demand for Model 3 and the manufacturer cutting list prices.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
We are with SSE I don’t think we have an off peak tariff, think it’s around 25p per Kwh all the time. We were going to change to click energy but I heard they were upping the tariff too so no saving to be had.

I didn’t know this either, leasing one is the only way to go with them imo and again it needs to be a good deal and a good saving to justify it. They are just too expensive to buy and they depreciation on them seems crazy, also would never own one that’s out of manufacture warranty so that probably kills the used market with them.
Have a look into it because with the extra KWH required for an EV, charging off-peak at 15-16p is really worth it.

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
Click went up at the start of April from 4.5p at night to something like 15p so the jump has happened but it’s still definitely worth a swap. PowerNi also will be cheaper for a lot of people on their EV tariff but certainly wouldn’t be sticking with SSE given how easy it is to swap.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
The charger has been empty for a few days now, I've never ever seen it empty at any time of day or night....... can't understand it 🤔😂

Theres been a 10% increase in the number of EVs for sale locally in just the last few days too with a few extremely optimistic sellers 🙄