Public charging points

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I guess the companies are free to charge what they like. As an external company you could invest in units in NI and absorb the demand for cheap charging, or come in at similar price but guarantee availability.

The way the system was being used initially was all wrong with people using them as their own personal charging stations. They really should only be there to aid travel onto your destination, and as availability increases so should the demand for EV's which in turn should drive demand for more chargers.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Ideally replacing a lot of the existing 22kw with then 50kw minimum would make the system even better again.

The 22kw chargers are pretty useless as a top up.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I was thinking that too about how they will make any money, but I suppose up until now they haven’t been making anything as they were free to use. I would be more inclined to use a super fast charger than a 22kw and have no problem paying for a quick top up they way we do when going to Donegal etc, quick charge in letterkenny on the 50kw.
The charger has been empty for a few days now, I've never ever seen it empty at any time of day or night....... can't understand it 🤔😂

Theres been a 10% increase in the number of EVs for sale locally in just the last few days too with a few extremely optimistic sellers 🙄

It wouldn’t surprise me with some people here tbh, “nah it’s not free electricity anymore so I’m selling the EV”

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
The 22kw chargers are *****.

This is what I had today.

IMG_6402.png

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
If they made the 22kw chargers cost close to regular home electric it would be better. Double the price and still taking a lifetime to charge makes no sense.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I live near that one and had seen it quite busy this week as it’s one of the old ones that doesn’t have esb stickers, I think people thought it was still free. Esb must own them all.

stuarti

RMS Regular
One on a charger near me this morning since 17.15 yesterday …. Surely a costly error that one !!

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
In reality no matter what he drives I guess he might as well have free electric as the next man but the problem comes when it is abused and someone hogs the charger as if it’s only for them.
That said he should be able to afford the occasional fiver to charge it at home.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Wonder what the legalities are of this. Like could I put in an EV charging point at home and charge people to use it?
Wouldn't say there's any problem with it, apart from maybe an insurance implication. Friends of ours would use our charger the odd time when we're not there, I just unlock it via the app.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Wonder what the legalities are of this. Like could I put in an EV charging point at home and charge people to use it?

Yep. They're on zapmap (which needs updating).

1683022109469.png

Last edited:

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Paypal usually. You get a contact number for them when you're logged in so you just fire them a message. I might do the same with mine when I'm at work.