Pug 308 1.4 won’t start. Has spark. Has fuel. Has compression.

pablo

RMS Moderator
Utterly stumped with my brothers 308. Just won’t start. Turns over ok and new battery fitted.

New spark plugs fitted too. Confirmed sparking ok. Put a jump lead on the spark plug and saw it sparking so coils and plugs ok.

Rail has pressure and tried some brake cleaner into intake but not even a hiccup.

Compression tested all 4 in region of 120/140psi.

No fault codes.

Pretty stumped here. Any suggestions? Cheers.

wes

RMS Regular
I know the spark plugs are working but Is there power getting to spark plugs coil packs maybe

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Battery in the fob won't effect the immobiliser. Immobiliser as far as I know kills the injectors and not the ignition. There has to be either an immobiliser light flashing or fault codes.

Sham1

RMS Regular
Surprised there are no codes. I would assume nothing. Just because it’s sparking, doesn’t mean there isn’t a fault with the immobiliser, key etc. Sounds like it’s not injecting fuel, due to a fault. Ie cam sensor, immobiliser, key lost program etc.
if you pull the plugs after cranking are they wet or dry? If dry then no fuel is being injected
If you open the door with the keys in the ignition does it beep? If not then it’s an issue with the key

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
I tried a little brake cleaner into each cylinder and into the intake after removing the air filter. Didn’t make the slightest difference
If you open the door with the keys in the ignition does it beep? If not then it’s an issue with the key
Will check

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Surprised there are no codes. I would assume nothing. Just because it’s sparking, doesn’t mean there isn’t a fault with the immobiliser, key etc. Sounds like it’s not injecting fuel, due to a fault. Ie cam sensor, immobiliser, key lost program etc.
if you pull the plugs after cranking are they wet or dry? If dry then no fuel is being injected
It does NOT beep with ignition on and opening the door. No errors on dash/display.

Sham1

RMS Regular
Most likely the keep needs programmed. google Peugeot beep test. And also, throw that tin of brake cleaner away and stop trying to use it as a petrol substitute, unless u know it is actually flammable .Most stuff nowadays is solvent free, so it’s never going to start your car. The best way to know if the car is getting fuels, is turn it over a few times and remove the plugs. Plugs dry, no fuel. Then work from there

Last edited:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Utterly stumped with my brothers 308. Just won’t start. Turns over ok and new battery fitted.

New spark plugs fitted too. Confirmed sparking ok. Put a jump lead on the spark plug and saw it sparking so coils and plugs ok.

Rail has pressure and tried some brake cleaner into intake but not even a hiccup.

Compression tested all 4 in region of 120/140psi.

No fault codes.

Pretty stumped here. Any suggestions? Cheers.

History ?

it just randomly do this with no warning ?

And you'd need to confirm consistent spark at all cylinders, and that that spark is at an appropriate time to allow it to run. If it had correct sparks, and you're giving it a fuel source in lieu of its normal fuel source ( ie easy start, brake cleaner etc etc ) then it will attempt to do something.

Are you spraying fuel, because you believe it does not have it's own fuel being injected ?

Sham1

RMS Regular
It does NOT beep with ignition on and opening the door. No errors on dash/display.
Should only beep with ignition off, keys in ignition and door open I think. Just a reminder to take the keys with u

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
just tried that and no beep.

opened door
got in
closed door
tried to start
turned ign off, left key in
opened door

no beep

@Sham1 anyone local to belfast able to reprogram a key? I got a new battery for it as the RCL wasnt working, and its now back to life but made no difference to starting.

Last edited:

Dave..

RMS Regular
Try Aaron, I have used him for replacement keys and he can reprogram.
D9D458DD-B753-493C-80BA-1FE00A20BE54.jpeg

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
Got one from Master locksmiths | The Key Centre
On @DaddyC recommendation. 10 minute job. Not sure if he’s mobile though. He needed my car there but only to test the key was working. It was a Pug 107.
You might need to resync the key -
Key in ignition, turn to position 1, press any button, remove key
See if that works. There’s also a wee black transponder unit in the key which is coded to the immobiliser. Check it’s still there and didn’t fall out when you changed the battery.

Sham1

RMS Regular
Sorry, no idea who does Peugeot keys. The only real thing I know about Peugeot’s, is too stay away from them. There is no logic to them, unless you are Peugeot trained. I would get someone with the proper diagnostics to actually test the key, as it may be a red herring. I have heard of the beep test, but I would want to be sure before splashing out on a key. When was the last time the car was running?
just another thought on the beep for “key in the ignition“, just make sure that the door open switch is actually working, ie the interior light does come on when the door is opened. Won’t have anything to do with not starting, but should help to narrow down if it is indeed the key fault

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
Who knows?
I know you’ve said there’s a spark, but is it a good spark? It’s possible it could be a weak spark that isn’t able to properly combust?

Also is it sparking across all four leads/coils?