Pug 308 1.4 won’t start. Has spark. Has fuel. Has compression.

KevM

RMS Regular
As coog & woodcutter have said, it sounds more like wrong timing. You have the ingredients, so it would cough at least. Have you smelt petrol when cranking?

JamieG95

RMS Photographer
Drives
M3
Had a couple of issues like this on the petrol cars in work recently although on the 1.2 engines. As mentioned it also sounds like a key signal issue, is it a remote or solid blade key you have?

I’ve also had problems with Throttle bodies and fuel pumps, on separate cars all displaying the same issues as yours, none of which producing fault codes.

I know you said you’ve got rail pressure, but before turning the car on can you hear the fuel pump priming away?

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Yup pump primes on the key
They are a timing chain btw. Not that chains can’t skip but defo a lot rarer.

jinjur

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 172
If there is a spark and there are injector pulses then surely something is telling it when to do that unless it falls back to a guesstimate. That is even assuming there is a crank sensor.

And also, if it's anything like the Clio (because france), if the immob is on the blink then both spark and fuel are cut as well as starter.

If there is compression (no holes in metal bits and timing ok*), spark and fuel then how in the name of bibles is it not even trying to start?

Is the compression by the book or all just equal?

*Shirley this has to be timing (belt) related. Could be making and losing compression at the wrong time for the spark and fuel.

Any fuel stank out of the exhaust when trying?

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
If there is a spark and there are injector pulses then surely something is telling it when to do that unless it falls back to a guesstimate. That is even assuming there is a crank sensor.

And also, if it's anything like the Clio (because france), if the immob is on the blink then both spark and fuel are cut as well as starter.

If there is compression (no holes in metal bits and timing ok*), spark and fuel then how in the name of bibles is it not even trying to start?

*Shirley this has to be timing (belt) related. Could be making and losing compression at the wrong time for the spark and fuel.

I’m pretty sure the car’s away to eco part now anyway 🤣

Sham1

RMS Regular

I haven’t seen anything mentioned to confirm there was injector pulses. The original post just states that the rail has pressure. Nothing about fuel being injected.
Hence why I mentioned to pull the plugs after turning over to see if they were wet. If they’re dry, then no fuel is being injected.
Spraying brake cleaner into the cylinder to try and start will do nothing, as it will condense into a liquid by the time you get the spark plug back in, so won’t ignite when turning over.
@pablo any update? Just curious

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Off to the scrapyard in the sky.

FWIW there was a fuel smell when I pulled the plugs just after trying to start.

EC195122-A653-46AA-A0E2-4BFF13A4362C.jpeg

jinjur

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 172
Endings like this make me SERIOUSLY question the effort I put in to maintaining an easily less valuable Clio 172 rather than putting it to pasture :laughing:

I mean, most of the car has been fixed / removed / replaced at some stage.

J

KevM

RMS Regular
You missed a trick with the Mini, cheap ones are selling well for the Rally Sport Association Mini Series!!