Query on assigning a private reg to car..?

chapletown

RMS Regular
Drives
G20 M340i X
Hi, just wondered if anyone has ever done this? I currently have a private reg on a retention certificate. I want to assign it to a vehicle and also keep the current reg on that vehicle (putting it onto a retainer).

Anyone done this and know what the protocol is...?

When i go onto assign the currently reatined reg will it give me the option of keeping the old reg?

Or do i need to apply to take the old reg off first and will it give me the option to assign the retained one in its place?

Any advice from someone who has done this would be appreciated.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
To make life easy and enable you to do it all online (if you meet the other criteria)

1) Take old reg off car 1
2) Wait for new book got car 1
3) Assign the on retention time car 1

It shouldn’t take a huge amount of time, costs the same and avoids the need to do it by post and also the risk of something going wrong in the double transfer

chapletown

RMS Regular
OP
chapletown
Drives
G20 M340i X
Cheers lads, I thought that would be the case but then a mate told me you could do the two in one transaction, ill just take the old reg off the car first and then go from there. Cheers!

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Quick query.

I'd helped the wife buy a reg for the MIL through my DVLA account, had to buy it in my name & put the MIL as the nominee.

The V750 has arrived, in record time actually & in my name as expected. But how do I go about transferring it into her name/address permanently now?

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Quick query.

I'd helped the wife buy a reg for the MIL through my DVLA account, had to buy it in my name & put the MIL as the nominee.

The V750 has arrived, in record time actually & in my name as expected. But how do I go about transferring it into her name/address permanently now?
Last time I done this there was a section on the V750 that you filled in and sent it away.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Last time I done this there was a section on the V750 that you filled in and sent it away.

Wonder can that be done online Nick. Went through to their site but can only find a way to assign it to a car. Maybe doing that will assign it to her..

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Wonder can that be done online Nick. Went through to their site but can only find a way to assign it to a car. Maybe doing that will assign it to her..
I had to use the actual form. If it helps, one of my plates was in my name before I assigned it to the A6. When I took it off the A6 which was in the wife's name, the new certificate came with her details on it.

Probably handier and quicker to just stick it on the MIL's car. When she takes it off again down the line it should then be in her name.

KevM

RMS Regular
Quick query.

Do you need to? Just fire it on the car

pablo

RMS Moderator
you dont need to change nominee. Last plate I bought I got a photo of the retention cert in the sellers name and used the code off it to transfer onto my car.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Anyone know if I stick a reg on retention does the tax still run on the original reg, or do I need to re-tax the car from the start of the month again?