Question about dealership sale.

Eponewakka

RMS Member
Hi folks,

Just wondering what to do about a situation I have on my hands here at the moment.

I've recently (this week) purchased a used car from a dealership in what was listed as a "trade sale". Unfortunately it's already had issues and now won't start.

After engaging in a small dialogue with the dealer I've been offered some cash in good faith however have been advised from the same dealer that the consumer rights act doesn't apply to a "trade sale".

My understanding is, after having read the invoice, that it doesn't provide additional warranty/guarantee to that implied by law. That would state to me that the consumer rights act is still in effect.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or can shed any light on what steps to take to reach an amicable resolution here?

Many thanks

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Unless you are actually a trader then writing trade sale means nothing - legally you still have all the rights of a private buyer
As far as I know this is correct, but a call to citizens advice should point you in the right direction.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
And did you buy it on the cheap under the pretence of some sort of "trade sale" ?

Or did you buy it as an average Joe walking into the dealership ?

And what sort of age/price is it ? cheap junker or all flashy and expensive ?

KevM

RMS Regular
"Trade sale" means nothing, unless you yourself, are a trader.

BUT.....

If the car was unusually cheap compared to other retail offerings, well then your expectations have perhaps been set a little too high and by buying a "Trade" car, it's almost a gentleman's agreement to take the car as is.

Sounds like the dealer is trying to see you right. Time for you to be a gentleman about it.

"Ring a solicitor" is sooooooo RMS..... 😩

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR

BUT.....

If the car was unusually cheap compared to other retail offerings, well then your expectations have perhaps been set a little too high and by buying a "Trade" car, it's almost a gentleman's agreement to take the car as is.

Sounds like the dealer is trying to see you right. Time for you to be a gentleman about it.

Agree on the gentleman's agreement tbf like, everyone knows what it means even if u probs can technically get a full refund.

KevM

RMS Regular
I'd say that's more to give the illusion of selling all their cars really cheap. But hey, it's a good measure if the level of prep and customer service you are buying into! 🤣

Eponewakka

RMS Member
OP
E
And did you buy it on the cheap under the pretence of some sort of "trade sale" ?

Or did you buy it as an average Joe walking into the dealership ?

And what sort of age/price is it ? cheap junker or all flashy and expensive ?
Hi Stevie. I was advised it's a trade sale but no idea what it meant, the dealer knew I was a first time buyer. There was no persuasion on my part nor any warning given to me to forewarn on the permutations of what a trade sale is. 2005 corolla @ 1k.

BUT.....

Hi Kev,

Can you explain a wee bit more? There was no gentleman's agreement from what I understood in the conversation nor any agreement that explicitly said it.

You say the dealer is trying to see me right. Is this because he is offering cash as good faith?

Eponewakka

RMS Member
OP
E
Agree on the gentleman's agreement tbf like, everyone knows what it means even if u probs can technically get a full refund.
First time buyer, so I'm sorry to say I didn't know what it means.
Quite often, it's the punter that makes an effort to persuade the dealer to even sell them a 'trade' car. They are normally reluctant to do so.
I didn't persuade the dealer in any capacity to sell me a trade car.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
It’s a cheap car but it’s clearly a fault affecting primary function as it won’t start

Honestly i would give the dealer two options

1) Take the car in, fix it and give it back to you (if you want to keep the car)
2) Full refund and take the car back

I wouldn’t accept cash as the fault could be one that this doesn’t cover the cost of - it also may cover it but option 1 means this risk is with the dealer, not you, which is the way it should be

eamon343

RMS Regular
Have you looked into why it wont start? It could be something simple like a duff battery at £50. Probably best starting there before you speak to a solicitor or demanding a refund.

pablo

RMS Moderator
I’d ask to return it or have it fixed. Taking cash is a short term gain but you would burn it quick chasing an awkward problem.

even ask if you can return it and put it towards another car.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
This is the exact reason I closed my dealership. Warranty on a £1000 car is a ridiculous expectation.

Unfortunately the law is on your side here, the morality of it is entirely different though.

As a purchaser it is as much your responsibility to understand the terms of a sale and what you are buying as it is the sellers IMO

He has been more than fair offering you some compensation, I would take that and get the car repaired and chalk it up to a life lesson.

Eponewakka

RMS Member
OP
E
This is the exact reason I closed my dealership. Warranty on a £1000 car is a ridiculous expectation.

Unfortunately the law is on your side here, the morality of it is entirely different though.

As a purchaser it is as much your responsibility to understand the terms of a sale and what you are buying as it is the sellers IMO

He has been more than fair offering you some compensation, I would take that and get the car repaired and chalk it up to a life lesson.
Sorry to hear of your grievances. Unfortunately I disagree with your sentiment. I got less than 24hrs out of the car.

If its my responsibility to understand terms of sale then its the dealers responsibility to understand the law.

Cheers for your comment though.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
heard few years ago if your selling a car without warranty as a dealer you have to write parts or repair on the invoice?

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Is it just me or does 2005 Corolla for £1k not seem that cheap??

Wouldn't go waving solicitors yet, if the seller isn''t offering more than some cash back, maybe, but at first maybe approach and ask them to investigate and repair. Will cost you more in court fees than the price of the car by the time you are done.

Also agree that warranty a £1000 is a bit of an ask, but I would expect a dealer not to run away from it. Wouldn't expect costs to be covered but maybe free labour or something as a gesture.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Buy's a car at £1k, specifically told trade sale....hard to believe anyone is naïve enough to either not ask, or not know what that infers.

By all accounts yes you might expect it to start a day or two later.....but without knowing why it won't start, it's all a bit silly.

Was there any instructions telling you to put the correct fuel in it ? As running out of fuel would also cause a non start.