Questionable MOT failure - rear registration lamps

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
OP
Ghisallo
I gotta ask the question why did you not let them replace the bulb before the test? would have been what a few quid?

I genuinely would never notice a blown rear plate bulb, would need to get lucky

Sorry if it’s not clear from my original post, but when I left it in for its annual service I told them the bulb was out and needed replaced.

But your comment highlights something I hadn't considered - not only did I tell them it needed replaced, but from their (incorrect) POV they knew it would be a MOT failure yet nevertheless did the test first anyway to failed it, before repairing and then passing it. Wtf.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Test centres that pass too much will get audited so at times they will do things like this where most customers wouldn’t care as they still leave with an MOT and serviced car when they pick it up and it costs them no more than they expected
That’s my opinion on it - I’m always wary of it being based in England and normally having car serviced and MOT’d like you but the independent I use is spot on. Had exactly what you describe a few years ago and they noted it on the service invoice but fixed it before the test

Last edited:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Sorry if it’s not clear from my original post, but when I left it in for its annual service I told them the bulb was out and needed replaced.

But your comment highlights something I hadn't considered - not only did I tell them it needed replaced, but from their (incorrect) POV they knew it would be a MOT failure yet nevertheless did the test first anyway to failed it, before repairing and then passing it. Wtf.

So you specifically requested they did work....and they never bothered their arse ? Did they charge for it ? Trading standards ?