R plates on new license category?

buff

RMS Regular
Drives
Jimny
Hello

any motoring law people/ traffic branch out there??

query is i have been driving a car 6 years, so in that time ive served my 1 year on R-plates.

ive recently passed my motorcycle test, i know the bike its self must be restricted to 33bhp, but do i have to display R-plates on the bike?

i have 2 very different answers,

1st one being, any new category you add, you must display R-plates for a year.

second is supposedly from a traffic cop (friend of a friends, dads, mates, bothers, wifes, uncle sort of affair, so could very well be bull lol)

It was that R-plates are for new users of the road to let them gain experience and to warn other drivers of in-experience of road use, therefore as ive been driving a car for years and not new to road and have plenty of on road experience i dont have to display them

Can anyone confirm ethier of these?

Cheers Neil

jonny106

RMS Regular
Drives
Vtec....errr yo!
You still need R plates for a bike after you pass the bike test. A mate of mine has been driving a car for 5 years, passed his bike test recently and was stopped by traffic branch who told him to get R plates up, and followed him to a garage until he did.

buff

RMS Regular
OP
buff
Drives
Jimny
ah well thats that cleared up haha,

ill have to see if theres anyway of making them look respectible on a bike, anyway they seem to get blown off all the time...............

anyone know a way around R's some loop hole or something? j
ust think its stupid that if you've already had your year learning the rules of the road and being restricted at driving to a very dangerous speed on a motorway, like doing 45 on a motorway in a car but especially on a bike your a sitting duck!!! :mad:

Johnski

RMS Regular
Personally i wouldn't have them up. If you get pulled just plead ignorance.

Wouldnt advise it, ignorance cant always be used as an excuse, you can get points for not displaying R plates(y)

Hope this helps....

The New Category A and A1 Driving Licence
At age 17 or over, you will have two types of full motorcycle licence to aim for - the A1 light motorcycle licence or the standard category A motorcycle licence.

To gain a full A1 light motorcycle licence you must pass a theory test followed by a practical test on a vehicle over 75cc but not more than 120cc. A full A1 licence permits you to ride any motorcycle up to 125cc and a power output of up to 11kW (14.6 bhp) without `L' plates, carry pillion passengers and use motorways.

To gain a full standard category A licence you must pass a theory test followed by a practical test on a motorcycle of over 120cc but not larger than 125cc and capable of at least 100kph. In practice the normal test vehicle will be a 125cc machine. A full standard category A licence permits you ride any motorcycle with a power output of up to 25kW (33bhp) and a power-to-weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg without `L' plates, carry pillion passengers and use motorways. You are restricted to a motorcycle up to 25kW for two years (not counting any periods of disqualification). After two years you may ride any size motorcycle

avo5021

RMS Regular
I believe that you only have to serve one period of Restriction.. thus meaning if you have served it on a car licence then you dont need to display them again on a bike...

Obviously still restricted to 33bhp though for 2 years.. unless you have taken a direct access course on the mainland when you can then ride any bike of any size straight away..

Smoore

RMS Regular
i read on here that even if you do direct acess if you come back to n.i your still restricted!i think someone phoned the dvlni at that time about it!
you should display r plates,only ever saw two bikes with r plates!i never did,even though it says on the bit of paper you get when u pass your test you should,think it says on you licence too!
and 33hp hmmm more peoples restricters fall out before the 2 years is up

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
I got my bike test first of all and it said on the paper about displaying R plates. Got the car test a year later and when the counterpart came back it said about displaying R plates for it too. So I'd imagine you have to show them.

Other than that, if the bikes a decent size most people don't bother if they look old enough to not appear that they dont thier test yesterday.

xspeedstarx

RMS Regular
Drives
X 5 r33 gtr
afaik it`s only trucks and buses that you don`t have to display r`s on when you pass those tests

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR
Its strange indeed. We hold the same licence, pay the same tax, have the same penalties but different regulations. Its about time that it got standardised.

tim

RMS Regular
Dunno...!! this place is a mystery...
Defo, No Bloody R plates on the mainland too.

Just optional 'P' Plates to make other drivers aware your a new driver, feckin joke.

(Thank god I wasnt in the country to put my R plates up then, Law of the Land n all ha :laughing:)

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Northern Ireland does have the direct access because im currently in the process and have my test booked for next month

It does now, but it was available here 12 years ago when this thread was started.