R32... Practical????

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

chris B

RMS Regular
Drives
vw bora
Hey guys and girls, Ive been driving practical and sensible cars for a few years now, mostly turbo diesels. My last 'performace' car was a vti civic. But now im free and single again, I Want to get something fast again. Im a Vdub man now so no jap cars interest me atm, so its really a r32 im after. Does anyone here have 1 or know much about them?? I price of the car alone is gonna leave a dent in my pocket so I dont wana get nailed with fuel costs, ins and services etc.. I travel 28 miles a day to work and back. Any thoughts folks?

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
My mate's mate's dad has one and gets 25mpg on average (y)

Seriously though, Mk4 or Mk5? I've been looking at a few recently and they're as practical as any other hatch, plenty of bootspace, decent ride, etc. The only big difference would be the running costs as they do like a drink.

Bigman

RMS Regular
Drives
M516D
I had one for a week i can tell you my experiences..

I loved it..very comfy- refined and smooth..plus the noise of the v6 too!!!

the bad parts- sometimes it can be too smooth you'd think youre not going anywhere quick lol..no rush or urge..not a bad thing for me now though- hate revvin the hell out of the civic lol.. so id still take the R32 :grinning:

Fuel comsumption was poo..didnt get over 24mpg when i drove it-thats my motorway miles too and it was expensive to fill the full tank :grinning:

Hope that helps

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
MK5 GTI will average over 30mpg with more tuning potential

Remap alone will see it roughly on power with the R32

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Noise Boydie, noise. I was out in an R32 with full Milltek and it sounded awesome (y)

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
R32 is that bit more special too. GTi's are everywhere, R32's are quite a rare sight.

Should be as practical as a TDi Golf, just cost a bit more to run!

brocks

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW X6 M50d
Our mk4 (4 door) R32 in work is a solid car......one of the best gearboxes in our fleet, agile and planted. The only downside other than the dreaded fuel and insurance costs which are to be expected that I can see is the lack of rear legroom. Front seats are heavily bolstered and its a pleasure to drive IMHO

big.ken

Drives
vts no.2 comin s
wouldnt bother wit one pal, my sister has one and it really drinks the petrol, plus they have a few faults-gearbox, drive shafts etc and to be honest there not really that quick, shes sellin hers to buy a focus rs

Gambit

RMS Regular
28mile a day might be a bit rough on the pocket for an R32 as a daily. but apart from that, there is nowt wrong with them.

or offset the intial cost and buy a nice corrado vr6 instead :grinning:

big.ken

Drives
vts no.2 comin s
but if your looking something that little extra special and you dont mind jumpin over to an italian motor, you could always go for an alfa?my sister had one as a company car (alfa romeo 147 gta) and it was standard at 300bhp, it made a sound like no other car on the road, looks better than a golf, bit smaller, and speaking from experience blew the doors off r32's, evo's, impreza's, porches etc

Attachments

• alfa.jpg
    alfa.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 66

big.ken

Drives
vts no.2 comin s
its just like that saying a wolf in sheeps clothing, and there a pretty good looking motor, plus not many people have them

PeteJ

RMS Regular
Drives
A black 4x4
a mk5 R32 is an awesome car. practicality wise, it is great. loads of passenger space both front and rear.very comfortable and easy to drive. 4 wheel drive (70-30 split anyway), loads of boot space. only thing is the petrol is mid 20's which is pretty reasonable considering it is a 3.2 V6. sounds awesome too.

big.ken

Drives
vts no.2 comin s
sorry got that wrong the alfa 147 gta had a 3.2 V6 258bhp with the potential of 300bhp by simply fitting a peformance exhaust system and remap

big.ken

Drives
vts no.2 comin s
plus they go a hell of a lot cheaper than a r32 and they dont have many faults, plus better mpg(38)

big.ken

Drives
vts no.2 comin s
yeah but everyone has a golf, whether its a tdi, gti or r32, there so common, im not saying that you should buy an alfa im just sayin theres other great cars out there that arent common and that bit extra special

Souleh

RMS Regular
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
yeah but everyone has a golf, whether its a tdi, gti or r32, there so common, im not saying that you should buy an alfa im just sayin theres other great cars out there that arent common and that bit extra special

Most R32's are TDI's lol

big.ken

Drives
vts no.2 comin s
how bout this, its still german but not many people have them, same mpg as an r32, better looking, faster, sounds better, more leg room etc, 4.0 v8 350bhp bmw m3 gtr and i reckon you could get one for about the same money.

Attachments

• E46_M3_GTR_02.jpg
    E46_M3_GTR_02.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 100
  • E46_M3_GTR_04.jpg
    E46_M3_GTR_04.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 80

big.ken

Drives
vts no.2 comin s
ok i got it wrong obviously a gtr is bout 6grand more expensive than a r32, but i was tryin to help, in a nut shell there are plenty of small but fast cars out there that are a hell of a lot better than a golf, but if its a golf you want, good luck cause i can gaurantee that you will end up replacing atleast one gearbox and a couple of drive shafts

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.