R53 Mini Cooper S JCW

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
Drives
MINI JCW
Saw this wee 2005 R53 Cooper S earlier this week so @Wild Thing and I went to look at it tonight. Instantly loved it and had it on the trailer heading for home. It needs some work done, but will come up well. New project for when I'm off in a couple of weeks
IMG_0253_zpsnpycavz4.jpg

IMG_0252_zpsckmmfl6k.jpg

IMG_0256_zpsq4gtn81z.jpg

IMG_0257_zpsmgazpgyv.jpg

Last edited:

Mickylad

RMS Regular
Drives
M2Comp/i3
Looks well @Laureeno101, I can see it's not your first one either!

Had a wee R53 Cooper S and still maintain it was the most fun wee car I've had to drive before!

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
Sorry for the lack of updates but its been a little hectic in the garage
Engine finally out
IMG_0280_zpsijt9rwi9.jpg

Silly spotlights removed. Think a new aero grill required
C52E6B01-A4BA-40EB-83EA-2F4510A3CC37_zpspzyl4d3o.jpg

The build up

95304A59-065C-4F79-85CF-E9472FF98509_zpsg7tobiax.jpg

Kicking myself I did not get some pics of engineering work after it was done.
With a melted piston the bore on pot one was destroyed so engine was totally rebuilt from bottom end up which included

• Crank checked and polished
  • New shell bearings
  • New crank bearings
  • New liner for cylinder 1
  • New piston
  • New piston rings x 4
  • Block surfaced
  • Head skimmed and pressure tested
  • Valves topped and seated
  • New valve stem oil seals
  • Compete bottom and top end gasket set, seals and O rings
  • New timing chain and tensioner
  • New LUK clutch kit

And £1500 later ohh boy still not finished

Last edited:

Minikid

RMS Regular
Drives
Choopay
Like this little car , but brings back to many bad memories - Fair do's for getting stuck in at the deep end

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
OP
Lauren_E
Drives
MINI JCW
On detailed inspection of camshaft before rebuild, we noticed one of lobes of the camshaft was slightly marked. It really would have been rude not to address this issue, so new arrival in the post today! Newman phase 2 fast road cam

001C291B-96B0-44FB-96D5-5AE15D793014_zpsbmch43nq.jpg

7642A6A7-92C9-4192-A8C4-36E6689893AC_zpsowlmneen.jpg

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
Have basically set a benchmark of 210-240 bhp, the mods so far will be Alta 17% supercharger pully, Alta CAI kit, Newman cam, cool plugs JCW exhaust system and a remap, we are open to options on injectors, either 380cc or 550cc. Dont want to raise rev limits, more interested in very strong mid range to red line

Reactions: bob

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
The Alta intake sits exposed in the engine bay and there's a lot of heat under the bonnet of these cars. Much better off with the enclosed cold air intake

Minikid

RMS Regular
Drives
Choopay
Vote for the Orannje Stealth box from me - had it on mine and whine was great

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
Sorry guys for the lack of updates but it has been hectic in the garage and Laurens R53 has just been slotted in to the works schedule as and when we have time to work at it. We ended up on 380cc injectors to avoid a remap from get go. Rebuilding an engine is an expensive option but you know what you have at the end of the day
thumbup1.gif
We deffo have a very sharp little R53 on our hands, on a quick half mile shakedown and limiting engine rpm to 4K it genuinely pulls like a train compareable to a standard subaru wrx, so to say Lauren is well pleased is an understatement. Jobs still to do, finish bleeding new clutch, check all levels, fit bumper, remap after runnning in period and source aux lead for the iphone haha

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
Buy the £50 Alpine HU in halfords as per the thread in here. Did you go with the Alta intake? I bought my R53 with one fitted a binned it in favour of the Orranje Stealth. 380 injectors should be spot on without a remap

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
Has the HK fitted as standard with a nokia hands free that works a treat, Lauren has a great flip out kenwood so a hk enabler for the kenwood might be a better option. The alta? well its to early to say, not much whine out off the teflon bladed supercharger compared to the prefacelift chargers. 380cc densos seem to be working well and only getting a slight overrun

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
I've got one of these to rebuild myself - did you go for forged pistons or any arp bolts etc? I can't decide but from what I have read, forgies aren't needed which is surprising for such a little engine with the boost turned up due to the over drive pulley.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
I've got one of these to rebuild myself - did you go for forged pistons or any arp bolts etc? I can't decide but from what I have read, forgies aren't needed which is surprising for such a little engine with the boost turned up due to the over drive pulley.

Keep it simple unless you plan to go 250 plus gee gees. Biggest problem is getting a good map to suit your mods thats why we went conservative on the injectors. Seen a lot of issues with bad maps on these engines

HWW

RMS Regular
Drives
Fiesta, Mini
I used to be in Mini's in a big way but you'll find once you go over 230bhp the harder it will be to get the power down and use it cornering. A 230bhp Cooper S can put in faster lap times than a 270bhp on some circuits.

The more you tune the more wear you'll put on the engine, I've found out over the years. My 1380 Rover Mini could do with an engine and it hasn't even got 4k road miles on it. So later this week some parts are going to standard so hopefully it last till I've got the money to re build it with new pistons and the latest Swifttune road cam.

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
OP
Lauren_E
Drives
MINI JCW
Front end looks so much better now that it has been resprayed to remove stone chips and a new aero grill fitted.
DSC03199_zpstrdgrewd.jpg

Also fitted an AUX input so I can play music from my phone through the H/K system without the need for a HK enabler
DSC03214_zpsbio7e2qq.jpg

Replaced the standard Cooper S gearknob and handbrake for the JCW carbon fibre upgrade parts
DSC03212_zpsgsmb0feo.jpg

DSC03210_zpsoys9jatt.jpg

So finally after a busy and expensive summer, I finally have my car almost finished. Just to drop it into PMG to get detailed. I have to say I absolutely love the car and so far hasn't been too hard on the fuel.
DSC03197_zpsp9fxbaxc.jpg

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
OP
Lauren_E
Drives
MINI JCW
Haven't the engine run in yet so not to sure until we get it mapped. Aiming for between 220-240bhp

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.