R56 Factory John Cooper Works

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
Drives
MINI JCW
Yesterday I managed to get a highly spec'd 2010 Factory John Cooper Works as an upgrade to my R53.
Specs are as follows:
- Dark Silver
- Black Leather Heated Sports Seats
- Chili Pack
- Piano Trim
- Dark Grey Colour Trim
- Bi-Xenons
- Alcantara/Leather Steering Wheel
- Harman Kardon Hifi
- Full JCW mats
- Auto Climate Control with Air Con
- Bluetooth Hands Free
- Parking Sensors
- Heated Windscreen Washers
- Sport Button
- Storage Package

Then the standard JCW extras from factory:
- 4 Pot JCW Brembo Front Brakes
- JCW Aero Kit
- R112 JCW Alloys
- JCW Exhaust

DSC03295.JPG

DSC03299.JPG

DSC03302.JPG

DSC03296.JPG

DSC03306.JPG

Just a few subtle pieces to add
I started with changing the aerial for a genuine MINI Sports Aerial
DSC03308.JPG

I then replaced the orange indicator bulbs for silver ones to remove the fried egg look
DSC03309.JPG

Next on the list is to transfer my number plate over, my JCW carbon handbrake and get an R56 JCW carbon gearknob. The centre caps of the wheels are looking a little bit past it so i'll get some new ones ordered up. Overall I am very pleased how this car drives so will try and keep it pretty much standard.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
You have struck gold with that wee motor. Good idea to keep it original as it will probably appreciate in value in years to come.

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
OP
Lauren_E
Drives
MINI JCW
So little bit of an update. I've done over 2000 miles and can safely say the car is really growing on me after coming from my R53.
A Few Small Changes:
Got my numberplate transferred over
Fitted new Mini bonnet stripes as the previous ones were quite rough
Fitted complete set of interior LEDs
Rear wiper delete
Replaced the tatty JCW centre caps for new ones, which really freshen up the wheels
Fitted the Carbon/Leather JCW Handbrake and Gearknob
IMG_0919.jpg

Also fitted the MINI DRLs as the fog lights were badly corroded previously
IMG_1065.JPG

While the good weather is here for a while, hopefully... I gave the engine bay a clean and exterior clean and polish.
IMG_1062.JPG

So this is how it sits at the minute
IMG_1069.jpg

Ordered an ITG Profilter for it at the weekend so just waiting for that to come, then I can fit it

s13rab

RMS Regular
Great car the R56 JCW , I really enjoyed driving any of them I got to . Had them on a track at Thruxton a few years back and how well they performed on track . Great all around car with serious potential, HTD!

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
OP
Lauren_E
Drives
MINI JCW
So a bit of a quick update. Keeping the car totally standard has went out the window! I will however keep all parts so it can be returned to standard if i ever sell it.
First on the list was fitting the ITG filter. I feel the car runs a little smoother now and sounds a bit better.
IMG_1076.JPG

Next on the list I originally wanted a car with the multifunction steering wheel and cruise control, however when this one came up with the current spec it wasn't really a deal breaker. I started reading in to if it was possible to retrofit the controls as I knew on my previous R53 it was a nightmare so I avoided it.
Turned out it was rather simple as everything is already pre-wired, so after looking around for quite a while, I finally came across a steering wheel squib with the correct part number I needed that would recognise the multifunction switches.
Bought some switches and squib off eBay, then got fitting.
IMG_1165.JPG

IMG_1216.jpg

So after fitting and a little coding, I now have full steering controls and cruise control!
IMG_1167.JPG

Also managed to get a set of KW V2 Coilovers from Deezer. Haven't got a chance to get round to fitting them yet, but I can hardly wait!

So thats it for now. Here's a pic from when I was going past Spelga on Wednesday
IMG_1210.jpg

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
OP
Lauren_E
Drives
MINI JCW
So since I could get a bit of free time on the ramp, decided to fix a few issues with the car. It was wondering around the road at every little bump it hit. Got the front subframe dropped in order to fit some Powerflex Purple Series Front Lower Arm Rear Bushes. These should tighten up the wheel mountings and make handling more predictable.
IMG_1294.JPG

IMG_1296.JPG

IMG_1295.JPG

Also got @Wild Thing to Walnut shell decoke the car. Such a difference it makes with better power down low! Was pretty bad with build up with carbon, but at nearly 78000 miles i was expecting worse
Before:
IMG_0318.JPG

IMG_0327.JPG

After:
IMG_0333.JPG

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
OP
Lauren_E
Drives
MINI JCW
Little bit of an update.
Finally managed to get my hands on a set of heated lounge leather with the cream piping just before Christmas. Fitted them over the holidays and set around steam cleaning them.
IMG_0149.JPG

Pretty pleased how they eventually turned out. Also managed to source a full set of JCW chequered mats in immaculate condition after looking for ages!
IMG_0166.JPG

IMG_0165.JPG

Then to finish it off, got myself a great condition Miltek Sports Cat. Totally transforms the sound of the car through the FJCW exhaust IMO
fullsizeoutput_49.jpeg

Only plans now for it now are to fit a boomerang centre armrest, get the wheels refurbed in the spring, fit drilled and grooved disks all the way round and replace the front splitter with a new one, as the previous owners must have been fond of high curbs

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
Great work!
How do you find the R56 compared to the R53?
Im considering a Cooper S at the minute and I'm baffled by whether to look for a supercharged older model or a newer turbocharged.

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
OP
Lauren_E
Drives
MINI JCW
@Chris Mac honestly I much prefer the looks of the R56 but that's about it. I loved my R53 and when pulley, airbox and intercooler fitted they go really well. Supercharger whine is addictive as well which you miss alot in the R56. Im thinking of going back to the R53 if a nice low milage JCW came up. If you're local you are more than welcome to take a run in mine and im sure @Wild Thing would take you a run in his R53

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
OP
Lauren_E
Drives
MINI JCW
Don't get me wrong, the R56 is a great car, but I personally prefer the R53

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
OP
Lauren_E
Drives
MINI JCW
Not much happening with this apart from driving it. Only updates are the addition of a genuine Mini boomerang armrest and a carbon fibre steering wheel trim.
IMG_0710.JPG

IMG_0709.JPG

Got it all cleaned up and gave it quick machine polish for Minis in the City tomorrow, but can't help but feel it was a waste of time with the weather at the minute
IMG_0704.JPG