RAC Vehicle Check.

Stuart W

RMS Member
Drives
Forester sti
Has anyone got any experience using the RAC checks. I’m after a new car and it’s far better value to nip over to England better car for the money. I’m looking at a Passat with 38k on it but at some point it was cat C according to the advert it was just the front bumper damaged but it’s all fixed. What I’m wondering are the checks they do going to show up any hidden problems? Any opinions are appreciated good or bad. Thanks.

colin84

RMS Regular
Someone on here didn't have good results from the RAC check. I usually use total car check, has been good for me so far.

MarkP

RMS Regular
Drives
zafira :-(
Has anyone got any experience using the RAC checks. I’m after a new car and it’s far better value to nip over to England better car for the money. I’m looking at a Passat with 38k on it but at some point it was cat C according to the advert it was just the front bumper damaged but it’s all fixed. What I’m wondering are the checks they do going to show up any hidden problems? Any opinions are appreciated good or bad. Thanks.
Cat C is more than a bumper.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Cat C is more than a bumper.
My Golf is a cat C, all it needed was a door. Maybe throw in a couple of xenon lights, paint and blending onto a Passat with a like for like hire car and it's easy to see how a big bill writes it off.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
Cat c could have been a brave slap or minor which is why it has changed to N and S as there was too much grey area and was a lot to Do with value not actual structure of the car damage , I’ve seen cars cat d that should have been c and c that should have been d just depends how much silver crosses the palm on the day the assessor comes out

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Would imagine that a Passat with 38k miles is newish, which would mean a bigger shunt to get it categorised compared to the likes of a MK4 which wouldn't take a lot these days given their market value.

Stuart W

RMS Member
OP
Stuart W
Drives
Forester sti
I know I’m making assumptions here as I haven’t spoke to the seller yet buts it’s an 05 so it’s possible a slight knock could have caused expensive damage in comparison to the cars worth. I was just curious if the RAC pick up on any hidden damage that say wasn’t repaired properly or be able to highlight if the repairs are good or just bodged.

K55

RMS Regular
An '05 Passat with 38k miles on it? Presumably you've checked the MOT history and so on?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Could have had a thump and lay in a yard/shed for years before someone fixed it.