Racing Around the Rules - How to win.... The Unfair Advantage

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Will watch the video in the morning so apologies if it’s mentioned but the Toyota trick with the expanding turbo restrictor always struck me as genius. Moseley’s take on it says all;

“Inside it was beautifully made. The springs inside the hose had been polished and machined so not to impede the air which passed through. To force the springs open without the special tool would require substantial force. It is the most sophisticated and ingenious device either I or the FIA’s technical experts have seen for a long-time. It was so well made that there was no gap apparent to suggest there was any means of opening it.”

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Watched this a couple of weeks ago.
Got dragged down the rabbit hole of Nascar videos and documentaries.
There's also a few fantastic vids on Smokey Yunick too. Sadly very few videos that detail the artistic interpretation of the rules in rallying. The Americans certainly seem less secret squirrel about the whole thing.

Absolutely hilarious "tweaks" that used to go on :grinning:.

There's the full version of that somewhere online. Can't find it atm

robert106

RMS Regular
Drives
172 clio

Absolutely hilarious "tweaks" that used to go on :grinning:.

your you tube feed must be similar to mine , i also saw that last night.

there are lots of ingenious stories in Motorsport, the toyota restrictor , already mentioned, the ford focus wrc: boost tank in the rear bumper, twr did some clever alteration of volvo touring car heads at great expense to 'comply' with the rules too.

that smokey chap in nascar was very clever, the one that i remember was an inflated basket ball in the fuel tank to reduce capacity of the tank to within the rules, then once deflated allowed more fuel to be added, simple and you really wish that you thought of it first.

its like the kids who were able to put a toe in each corner of the sack and run, rather than jump, in the primary school sack race.

there is a fine line between innovation and cheating, that's why there is a court of arbitration i suppose, its just that in motorsport people aplaud it, but if your a track athlete or cyclist then your innovation is 'sports medicine' and before you know it your lance armstrong or ben johnson.

Last edited:

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
your you tube feed must be similar to mine , i also saw that last night.

there are lots of ingenious stories in Motorsport, the toyota restrictor , already mentioned, the ford focus wrc: boost tank in the rear bumper, twr did some clever alteration of volvo touring car heads at great expense to 'comply' with the rules too.

that smokey chap in nascar was very clever, the one that i remember was an inflated basket ball in the fuel tank to reduce capacity of the tank to within the rules, then once deflated allowed more fuel to be added, simple and you really wish that you thought of it first.

its like the kids who were able to put a toe in each corner of the sack and run, rather than jump, in the primary school sack race.

there is a fine line between innovation and cheating, that's why there is a court of arbitration i suppose, its just that in motorsport people aplaud it, but if your a track athlete or cyclist then your innovation is 'sports medicine' and before you know it your lance armstrong or ben johnson.

You aren't wrong at all.

It's an interesting attitude that the guys are quite open about it too. One guy exclaiming it wasn't bending the rules, it was blatant cheating.

Then again many motorsports have a set of rules you have to adhere to. If there isn't a catch all in the rule book, it can be open to interpretation.

I'd favour that era of motorsports personally... when people are able to think or design something radically different to the next person.

robert106

RMS Regular
Drives
172 clio
You aren't wrong at all.

It's an interesting attitude that the guys are quite open about it too. One guy exclaiming it wasn't bending the rules, it was blatant cheating.

Then again many motorsports have a set of rules you have to adhere to. If there isn't a catch all in the rule book, it can be open to interpretation.

I'd favour that era of motorsports personally... when people are able to think or design something radically different to the next person.

certainly, rules open to interpretation are rules that encourage diversity, you don't want them all to be the same. (which is what the modern stuff appears to bring)
innovation is quattro in rally cars and 8 injectors in rs500 sierras , I'm definitely a group A era guy. but then that becomes prohibitively expensive i suppose as the price of innovation just increases.

eamon343

RMS Regular

I think it was the Chris Harris podcast where they were talking about some race where they measure the capacity of the fuel tank after the race, and on the way back to the pits the driver had to manually pump something up in the fuel tank to decrease its capacity. By the time they got back to the pits the drivers were exhausted.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
I think it was the Chris Harris podcast where they were talking about some race where they measure the capacity of the fuel tank after the race, and on the way back to the pits the driver had to manually pump something up in the fuel tank to decrease its capacity. By the time they got back to the pits the drivers were exhausted.

Possibly one of these?