Raising the back of a 4x4(rav 4)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Matt123

RMS Regular
Rite, this mite seem a little strange but when we have something heavy on tow, eg. boat or caravan, the jockey wheel sits really close to the ground so is there any way of increasing the heaight of the rear of the car about 1inch, maybe a little more so we would eradicate this problem??

and yes we've tried the wee things that go round the spring and it still sits a little low for comfort

any help appreciated

matt

Lexx

RMS Regular
Drives
German Scrap
I have a Rav4 and the arse of her doesnt drop much even with a heavy load, I would agree with NovaBibby, get em checked

Matt123

RMS Regular
OP
M
RaDiUs said:
Matt123 said:
Highering the back of a 4x4(rav 4)

you could nearly call this raising

you could, but i chose to say it as i did :roll:

Nova Bibby said:
working for toyota, sounds like your shocks are maby a bit weak!

i would almost agree but the car is not even a year old. the reason is that the ball of the tow bar has to be low cause the rear door is so low, hence even when the car sinks an inch or 2 it is a little too close to the road. thanks for the replies anyway and we'll consider the shox

thanks ppl

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
well i would get onto who ever fitted the tow bar for you then, probably a sperious one, as i know from fitting genuine toyota ones, the door can still be opened over the ball hitch of a caravan, and they sit a good bit off the ground also, so, maby what you need to do to help fix your problem is spread the weight over the axel of your caravan/trailer a bit better, eg, not towards the front of the trailer, and not towards the rear, but dead over the axel

Matt123

RMS Regular
OP
M
hehe, i knew u would say about puttin the weight of watevers in the caravan over the axel, this is wat ud think to do, but we do that every time, so much so that the front of the caravan can be lifted with onee hand, so thats not the problem.

its actually that the ball hitch is so low. a friend of my dad's has exactly the same problem so im fairly certain its not the shock absorbers. the ball hitch is 33cm off the ground, maybe bibby u could find out wat the usual height is, that would be great.

still lookin at the idea of harder springs, but not sure if he';s keen on the idea

cheers bibby
matt

Dermot

Well You Can get...
Stiffer Springs
Stiffer Dampers
Higher Springs
I think They Do like A Rubber Coil you put in Around the spring to stop it closing up when theres weight on it ... Dunno where you'd get it though..

But A Rav 4 isnt excatly the sort of Jeep I'd wanna go towing with ...

We Had a Brand New Ford Iveco Van there, that pulled the Rear Chassis leg off itself when towing a trailer, Fitted with a Factory Towbar ;)

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
d4drav 4's tow he very best, extremely torqey
and toyota are now doing tte tuning boxes for them, which bring them up another 30 bhp and 60 to 70 lbft of torque

Matt123

RMS Regular
OP
M
yep derm, the rubber things are going in asap. the car is a good tower, also got a land cruiser for big stuff but me uncle was away towing in europe and didnt wanna go through a mortgage in petrol for the v6 so took the d4d rav.

but i didnt kno u could get this tuning box, any more info bibby would be great, PM me ;)

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
i will check it out next week when im back to work, barry in the workshop on boucher road knows about it, we printed it out last week

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.