Rallycross In Ni??

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

gwmckay

RMS Member
Drives
330d MSport
Just wondering it there is any form of Rallycross championship in NI? (yes as a result of watching top gear!)
Been thinking about getting into some kind of budget motorsport for a wee while and Rallycross looks great. Trouble is I can't find anything local, the only thing I found was in Mondello which is a bit of a trip for me. I know Nutts corner hosts a round of the British championship around June from memory but that the only local Rallycross event I could see. Do none of the local car clubs run Rallycross events in NI? Or what other budget events can anyone recommend? I would prefer racing events rather than timed events, but would consider anything.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I dont think Rallycross was ever one of the cheaper forms, simply as it was quite hard on the car. Nutts Corner is the only place here I recall seeing it though, other than Boyds Quarry many many years ago.

Something like that Fiesta racing or similar would be the cheapest, or Wayne at SWRC has a couple of budget race series running this year

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Rallycross = contact..

Contact = expense..

The fiesta challenge would be a much cheaper route to start some form of racing :grinning:

gwmckay

RMS Member
OP
gwmckay
Drives
330d MSport
The only thing I did notice about Rallycross is it only requires a non race B license as its classed as a speed event, so presumably a bit of saving there. But as B-Lorenzo says it will end up being costly from repairs etc.
I've seen the Fiesta challenge on here, and I only wish I'd noticed it sooner, looks like it will make for some close racing, I will be heading down to Kirkistown on the 31s March to see the opening event.
Anyone tell me whats involved/costs etc in getting the race B license?

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
There used to be an NI series, but i believe lack of entries put paid to it unfortunately. I remember going to Nutts corner as a kid, and the entries where massive. Was such a popular sport in the late 80's and early 90's, then it just seemed to drift away.

I'd echo the above re cost. Its cheap to get a car etc, but its not uncommon for contact to happen.... so you'll be constantly fixing the car i'd suspect!

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
There used to be an NI series, but i believe lack of entries put paid to it unfortunately. I remember going to Nutts corner as a kid, and the entries where massive. Was such a popular sport in the late 80's and early 90's, then it just seemed to drift away.

I'd echo the above re cost. Its cheap to get a car etc, but its not uncommon for contact to happen.... so you'll be constantly fixing the car i'd suspect!
Goodman 3.8 500hp 6R4's at their Best.. (y)

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS

and you wonder why Parts for Grp B Cars are so dear! so many Smashed and abused in rallycross!

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
Goodman 3.8 500hp 6R4's at their Best.. (y)

Don't get me started. I remember marshaling with my Dad when these where flying past...
http://www.roydempster.com/album.asp?AlbumID=1224&EventList=1991
http://www.roydempster.com/album.asp?AlbumID=1208&EventList=1992

Haffey, Gollop, Biggerstaff, Carnegie, Tony Bardy, John Welsh.... its was class. Watching topgear there the other week, and seeing how the Americans have 'Invented' rallycross in the last year, it makes you wonder how the popularity seemed to wane! It used to be on grandstand on a saturday afternoon from Brands hatch sure!

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
I remember all those names too ^^^, god they were amazing to watch, proper door to door stuff.....as were the touring cars back then.

Between Rallycross and touring cars on a Saturday afternoon there was an awful lot of panel beaters kept in buisness.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Don't get me started. I remember marshaling with my Dad when these where flying past...
http://www.roydempster.com/album.asp?AlbumID=1224&EventList=1991
http://www.roydempster.com/album.asp?AlbumID=1208&EventList=1992

Haffey, Gollop, Biggerstaff, Carnegie, Tony Bardy, John Welsh.... its was class. Watching topgear there the other week, and seeing how the Americans have 'Invented' rallycross in the last year, it makes you wonder how the popularity seemed to wane! It used to be on grandstand on a saturday afternoon from Brands hatch sure!

Exactly, between Touring car, Rallycross & British Rallying on Grandstand i used to be glued to the TV after the Football Highlights on a Saturday!

Hard to believe the force of equipment this small island used to hold, do you remember Norman Kittle and Robert Morgan being on the rallycross scene in the 6R4's, Guys i met later in life on the Hillclimb circuit when i was 16/17 :grinning:

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
I remember all those names too ^^^, god they were amazing to watch, proper door to door stuff.....as were the touring cars back then.

Between Rallycross and touring cars on a Saturday afternoon there was an awful lot of panel beaters kept in buisness.

Exactly! (y) Proper wrecking done in both touring cars and Rallycross tho!

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
and seeing how the Americans have 'Invented' rallycross in the last year, it makes you wonder how the popularity seemed to wane! It used to be on grandstand on a saturday afternoon from Brands hatch sure!

The Americans didn't just "invent" it this year, they also seem to think that they have a "Global" championship, even though no rounds are outside the US.

Am I right in thinking that it was actually the BBC who invented Rallycross specially for TV because stage rallying was too difficult to film.

Cess

RMS Staff
The Yanks have managed to make rallying/rally cross appeal to the masses though. In a very short space of time, "Rally-X" has went from a zero base to the second highest viewed discipline in the X-Games. We could maybe learn something about promotion from them!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
The only thing I did notice about Rallycross is it only requires a non race B license as its classed as a speed event, so presumably a bit of saving there. But as B-Lorenzo says it will end up being costly from repairs etc.
I've seen the Fiesta challenge on here, and I only wish I'd noticed it sooner, looks like it will make for some close racing, I will be heading down to Kirkistown on the 31s March to see the opening event.
Anyone tell me whats involved/costs etc in getting the race B license?

Non Race Nat B license is just a simple form to fill in and a few quid.

gwmckay

RMS Member
OP
gwmckay
Drives
330d MSport
Non Race Nat B license is just a simple form to fill in and a few quid.

And the race license seems to be an information pack to buy from the MSA, a form to fill in, a medical, and a test, and a few hundred quid!! :worried:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
And do you even need a race license ?

Sprints, hillclimbs and some other forms of motorsport do not require a race license. No idea if the Fiesta challenge thing does or not.

Wayne/SWRC's race series does not and would be an entry to budget racing

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
Fiesta challenge does, bro inlaw was at kirky the other week doing it there. said it was very straight forward.

gwmckay

RMS Member
OP
gwmckay
Drives
330d MSport
Fiesta challenge does, bro inlaw was at kirky the other week doing there. said it was very straight forward.

Yeah it requires the race B license unfortunately, if only it were classed as a speed event like rallyX then that would save the price of a few tires! I'll be heading to Kirky for the opening race and hope to speak to some of the Fiesta guys about the true cost of setting up. I think each race entry is also expensive, not so good for a budget series!! :worried:

ewok

RMS Regular
We go to the rally cross in nutts and mondello good days craic love James mc vickers Clio cosworth 550bhp

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Yeah it requires the race B license unfortunately, if only it were classed as a speed event like rallyX then that would save the price of a few tires! I'll be heading to Kirky for the opening race and hope to speak to some of the Fiesta guys about the true cost of setting up. I think each race entry is also expensive, not so good for a budget series!! :worried:

Yes the Race entries really are quite expensive and it really does leave it a dear weekend... 10 double header races will cost - £1800 of entries in a year + £200 for your license.

Not to mention when you add up a Snell helmet, suit, boots, gloves & Race license on top... likely £1000 of stuff.

There is £3k before you start to build a car :worried:

gwmckay

RMS Member
OP
gwmckay
Drives
330d MSport
Yes the Race entries really are quite expensive and it really does leave it a dear weekend... 10 double header races will cost - £1800 of entries in a year + £200 for your license.

Not to mention when you add up a Snell helmet, suit, boots, gloves & Race license on top... likely £1000 of stuff.

There is £3k before you start to build a car :worried:

Aye you're probably talking 5-6k to cover you for year 1, and providing you haven't lost the will to live/job/wife year 2 should be a lot less. Or i could take that 5-6k and trade my old car in and end up with an E39 M5 instead of a racing fiesta! :grinning:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.