Range Rover keyless theft

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
I’ve driven without keys in the car from Newtownabbey along the M2/M3 to Belfast before and the vehicle didn’t cut out, drive back and picked up the keys from the fuel pump where I’d left them.

Keyless ignition but obviously not going to say which make of car it was lol

Drove from Mallusk to Antrim and back in my bosses pickup all whilst the keys whereon his desk. The pickup even told me once I was out of range of the key but I like to live dangerously....

• Haha
Reactions: KJS

Ghost

RMS Regular
This type of thefts happens regularly now and is only on the increase. Spend a £5 on ebay and put your keys in a small pouch.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
Don't these new systems work when you touch the handle, it sends out a signal to find the key within a yard or so, so these criminals have a booster that picks up that signal and amplifies it to find the key inside the house, therefore telling the car the key is in range? The key probably doesn't even need a battery in it as the signal is detecting it, not the other way around. Surely there should be a way to turn it off if you don't want to use it?

bill

Banned
Have a friend in Scotland watch a guy try to steal her Merc at 3am she puts her keys into a safe every night after losing a car the same way 8 months before. She opened the window and told the guys to go away and they came back the next night and put a breeze block thru her front window. £1300 worth of damaged the wee scum caused. She has a shotgun but said she cant use it unless they enter her house but wishes they did because she lived in the USA and has already shot a guy in the legs. She said it was the best feeling ever lol a compete nutter she is.

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Saw this on Stephen Nolan’s Facebook, they done a fair bit of faffin about before they took it, these boys usually have them opened and out of the drive in seconds. Makes you worry, mine is keyless entry but thankfully I live in a quiet part of the country.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Saw this on Stephen Nolan’s Facebook, they done a fair bit of faffin about before they took it, these boys usually have them opened and out of the drive in seconds. Makes you worry, mine is keyless entry but thankfully I live in a quiet part of the country.

A quiet part of the country is where you’d worry as theres less people round to spot them at it.

Yours is safe its comfort access that is vulnerable and yours doesn’t have it.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Always thought keyless was a bit pointless unless you have no thumbs or you're a woman or you own a man bag and the key's buried in the bottom of it somewhere.

ShaunB

RMS Regular
Keyless is very handy, I've had several keyless cars over the years.
They have their downside of course, but its especially useful if you need to carry stuff with both arms and you have a car with keyless boot open/close.

Manufacturers need to do me though to protect the cars.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
It's a very poor implementation of the technology that makes it so easy to clone / bridge the keys.

I'm amazed the car manufacturers have got away with these issues existing for so long.

As mentioned above a Faraday cage offers some level of protection.

AC

RMS Regular
As above, a faraday cage/pouch for a fiver to protect against stealing a car using this method is surely a no brainer. Or if you don’t want to pay the fiver, throw them in the microwave before going to bed.

For the extra protection you can have an additional canbus immobiliser fitted such as an Autowatch Ghost which requires a pin to be entered (series of button pushes on the steering wheel) before turning the ignition on. Ghost Immobiliser

That way even if someone uses a signal booster and/or steals your keys, they still can’t take the car. There’s ways and means to protect against this sort of theft. Complacency isn’t a good option :-#

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Keyless start is fantastic, but I hate keyless entry. Never use it on the Golf, apart from when I’m washing the car and the handle gets confused.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Keyless start is fantastic, but I hate keyless entry. Never use it on the Golf, apart from when I’m washing the car and the handle gets confused.
Oh flip mine does my head in , it only opens the drivers door. If you have passengers they all try the doors while you're reaching in to hit the central locking button on the doorcard.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul

The Touareg has keyless entry but not keyless start :mad:

ShaunB

RMS Regular
Mercedes allow you to disable the keyless signal transmission, well on newish cars anyway

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Mine is keyless. If they want to come steal it let them have it.

It’s only a car. It’s well insured and I’d rather be safe.

Breaking into my house is another matter altogether. But using a booster. Fire away lads

Manta

RMS Member
Ive never owned a keyless car of any sort but i am assuming you still have to press a start button with keyless start models? if so what the hell is wrong with fingerprint technology, for instance you can buy a phone on ebay for 80 quid that has this technology so why cant that be integrated into an 80 grand car, i,m just thinking out loud but as mentioned here the manufacturers need to step up to the plate.

I think the government needs to step in here too, car theft is dealt with far too lenient in my opinion so they will continue even if caught, and stealing a car is potentially stealing a lethal weapon and if a fatal is caused its also with the potential of an untraceable criminal onboard the car.

Insurance aswell as mentioned, people in that area will see rises in their premium because this heap of British crap car was stolen.

Rant over:grinning:

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
Ive never owned a keyless car of any sort but i am assuming you still have to press a start button with keyless start models? if so what the hell is wrong with fingerprint technology, for instance you can buy a phone on ebay for 80 quid that has this technology so why cant that be integrated into an 80 grand car, i,m just thinking out loud but as mentioned here the manufacturers need to step up to the plate.

I think the government needs to step in here too, car theft is dealt with far too lenient in my opinion so they will continue even if caught, and stealing a car is potentially stealing a lethal weapon and if a fatal is caused its also with the potential of an untraceable criminal onboard the car.

Insurance aswell as mentioned, people in that area will see rises in their premium because this heap of British crap car was stolen.

Rant over:grinning:

Excellent idea!

Mark_D

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 90 XS
They do care (I know because I'm talking to them about it) . Changes are coming but like anything in the automotive industry, it takes time. Even when a product is designed, it generally takes 2 years to go through a the validation and approvals required. Some vehicle platforms/architectures only get updated every 5+ years and understandably no car company (bar Tesla) will want to roll out such new tech across their entire fleet in one go.

Mark_D

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 90 XS
Finger print has serious limitations. Working as a tradesman, can't start your car.
Wearing gloves, can't start your car.
Getting your car serviced or valet parked, they can start your car.
There has to be a mechanism for your to pass over ownership of the car or lend it to your dad/brother/mate. This mechanism will be exploited in the same way as they currently program a new key.
Smarter people than us are thinking about these problems.

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
Mine is keyless. If they want to come steal it let them have it.

It’s only a car. It’s well insured and I’d rather be safe.

Breaking into my house is another matter altogether. But using a booster. Fire away lads

Totally agree mate, that’s what insurance and gap is for.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

Government/law are a huge part of the problem. They dont give a **** about car crime....because they'll just say, oh you should be insured. Sure they'll cover it.

Which is a bull**** argument, as ultimately it costs law abiding people a fortune, nevermind the distress etc it can cause...and many stolen vehicles end up used as weapons for more serious crimes

Gibonz

RMS Regular
Drives
W204
Amazing that someone who has an £80k car and a CCTV system, doesn't have the wit to buy a £5 farady signal blocking pouch...

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Only a t**t would come off with a remark like that.

And who's to say a cheap ass pouch like that does even work ?