Rattley Turbo Actuator 2.0 TSI

Gobsheene

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini&Corolla
Does any one know what would be the best course of action to remedy this?

2.0 TSi are well known for having a rattle off throttle from the actuator rod, and VWA issued a TPI for a hi-tensile clip to sit on the end of the rod to stop it or damp it.

I had this done on mine, but its still making the noise and after 3 years its finally starting to pish me off a bit. Everything works totally fine, but its a little annoying sounding like a pushbike with a noisy freewheel when you're coasting in gear.

Is there anyone that would recon the actuator or provide a reasonable price for a replacement?

I had looked at the forge adjustable units, but would need someone to fit and adjust it for me correctly.

I know of someone selling as full standard KO3 turbo setup with the actuator for £125 so wouldn't want to pay more than this! The thought has crossed my mind just to buy it, hybrid it and put it on instead... but don't think there is much point, I'd be better with a K04.

Does @Nickyyy still work in the Turbo place?

Cheers!

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
If you're going the Forge adjustable route I'd imagine @pobmk4 could sort it. He's fairly clued in to things like this that are maybe more enthusiased based than straight forward parts swapping

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I had a VW 1.8T once and it used to rattle like this when you lifted off. turned out to be the actual wastegate itself, not the actuator. And because it wasn't sealing properly, the turbo didn't spool up very well either.
Might be worth looking.

Last edited:

TheLarneMan

RMS Regular
Drives
205GTI GolfR
Are you 100% sure it's the actuator?
My Mk6 Golf had a rattle that appeared off-throttle and the internet forums convinced me it was the actuator.
Was at the dealers twice under warranty and they could find nothing wrong or loose.

Fixed it myself. The hard plastic hose coming from the air box to the back of the engine was rattling against the cylinder head at the back left hand corner. I just pushed it back a bit and no more rattling.

I don't know how you've lasted three years with it rattling - mine was pissing me off that much I was about to sell it!!

Gobsheene

RMS Regular
OP
Gobsheene
Drives
Mini&Corolla
Are you 100% sure it's the actuator?
My Mk6 Golf had a rattle that appeared off-throttle and the internet forums convinced me it was the actuator.
Was at the dealers twice under warranty and they could find nothing wrong or loose.

Fixed it myself. The hard plastic hose coming from the air box to the back of the engine was rattling against the cylinder head at the back left hand corner. I just pushed it back a bit and no more rattling.

I don't know how you've lasted three years with it rattling - mine was pissing me off that much I was about to sell it!!

Yup, had it to Skoda as initially I thought it was the timing chain as it had that sort of noise about it.

Master tech took me into the workshop with the stethoscope thing and let me hear it ticking away, apply pressure to the actuator rod and it stopped.

Its just gotten progressively louder, used to be you'd not hear it inside the car at all, but with the windows down you could, now you can hear it inside the car a bit louder.

I'll check the hose however!

I'm confident enough its boosting correctly as it got a near standard figure on GSports RR day last year, or the year before and it goes not too badly. So possibly not the wastegate.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
If you can get easy access to the wastage end of the turbo, pull off the pipe. With one hand spring open the wastegate lever/actuator and with a finger on your other hand, feel if the actual wastegate door/flap/valve thing is starting to get lose. It could still be sealing okay when shut, but rattles when open. On mine, that's what was rattling, even though it was a different car.
might be worth a peep before pulling the cash.

warren

RMS Photographer
Did you ever get to the bottom of this? Have a car with the same issue!

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
Did you ever get to the bottom of this? Have a car with the same issue!
I had this on my Mk5 GTi. Ended up putting a new Borg Warner turbo on it and that sorted it. Turbo shack couldn’t refurb the turbo. Borg Warner sell refurbs for £450 or the new genuine Borg Warner was £720.

warren

RMS Photographer
Yeah was worried it’s going to end up with a turbo refurb. Just need to find somewhere that will work on one of those TSI engines now, a lot of people seem to hate them :worried:

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
Is there not a turbo refurb place in antrim?
Yeah turbo shack, Steve said the K03 can’t be returbed by them, only turbo manufacturer does the refurb or new turbo. That’s why I just put new one on MK5 GTi.
Yeah was worried it’s going to end up with a turbo refurb. Just need to find somewhere that will work on one of those TSI engines now, a lot of people seem to hate them :worried:

@warren You defo can try this clip if you haven’t already.

Might save you from refurb or new turbo.

DJR Media

RMS Regular
Drives
2012 Audi S4
Yeah turbo shack, Steve said the K03 can’t be returbed by them, only turbo manufacturer does the refurb or new turbo. That’s why I just put new one on MK5 GTi.

I’ve had a k04 refurbed by turboshack….

warren

RMS Photographer

Have one already! Sadly it’s not that part that’s rattling, it’s the actual arm coming out of the turbo rather than the actuator joint!

The turbo thankfully is still fully functional at this point, just makes a horrendous rattle every time you throttle off!

@DJR Media dont recommend then I assume? Lol

Mackers91

RMS Regular
@warren Theres a guy just outside Straid does turbo refurbs you could maybe see if they could help out. Hagans Autos the place is called. Seem to have a good reputation.

Gambit

RMS Regular
Have one already! Sadly it’s not that part that’s rattling, it’s the actual arm coming out of the turbo rather than the actuator joint!

i assume the rattle is because the actuator isn't closing the wastegate fully then in which case i would say that an adjustable arm/aftermarket actuator would probably correct it

warren

RMS Photographer
No sadly not, I can’t find the photo now but it seems to be wear on the wastegate shaft, over time it wears a little groove into it then the whole assembly can rattle in the housing.

Attachments

• 2248701F-C85A-4076-B6D9-A3E32F53EA90.jpeg
    2248701F-C85A-4076-B6D9-A3E32F53EA90.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 28