Re-registering & Taxing English Car In Northern Ireland From Uk Onto New Ni No. Plate

pearse9000rpm1

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi a4
Re-registering & Taxing English Car in Northern ireland from uk onto new NI no. plate

just bought new car from UK,comes with full documentation v5c etc

i have valid insurance for the car

the car has 11 months mot

im going into tax and re-register the car in omagh on 1st of janurary

taxing will be straight forward

i wish to get new 2012 plate on the car

will they give me a new reg number there and then,

what is the current letters for the 9 ulster countys at present or is
there anywere online which tells you new letters for registrations

do i have option of picking any ulster county reg?eg derry,fermanagh,down etc

or do i have to take a new 2012 tyrone reg likely OHZ

what are the current county new regs in the north eg

Tyrone=OHZ****

Fermanagh=KIG****

antrim=DRZ****

do i have to take the 1st reg that is trew at me or do i have a choice of 2 or 3

as im abit superstisous about no 13 or numbers in reg addding up to 13

will they gimme reg there and then so i can get new set of numberplates made up ASAP

cheers

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
You can pick any region. The current plates are on their website somewhere

You will not get it there and then, it will be posted out.

You will not have a choice. Only region choice

pearse9000rpm1

RMS Regular
OP
pearse9000rpm1
Drives
Audi a4
aw tnt man,was chatting to you at omagh meats 1 day,

im now told by family member you get it there and then and dont get region choice

and if you get digits eg 13 they not be too harsh and give you choice of 1 or 2?

brendy

RMS Regular
When I changed the regs on the x5 and wrx I asked what reg I would be getting, the wrx was catchy and easy to remember, the one for the x5 had a afz13xx do she didn't want it and left it for the weekend then got a better one. This was in the gasworks in Belfast. You only get the region code and not a choice of areas.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
aw tnt man,was chatting to you at omagh meats 1 day,

im now told by family member you get it there and then and dont get region choice

and if you get digits eg 13 they not be too harsh and give you choice of 1 or 2?

Yup. Was me

You do not get it there and then, as the person at the desk cannot process it. All they do is take the paperwork and file it. It will then either get lost, or processed at Coleraine.

You only have a choice of region for the new plate. You have no say in the numbers. But the person at the desk might give a clue as to what numbers are currently being processed and you'd be in that range.

Once processed, your new V5NI and tax disc will be posted out, and that will tell you the new reg.

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
You do not get it there and then, as the person at the desk cannot process it. All they do is take the paperwork and file it. It will then either get lost, or processed at Coleraine.

Once processed, your new V5NI and tax disc will be posted out, and that will tell you the new reg.

I guess it depends what you mean by processed but in Belfast I got a new registration there and then. I also got a wee form so that I could go to Halfords and buy new number plates.

It was a few weeks though before I got the updated V5 delivered to my door.

Gaz_DC5

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A7
Yeah I have done this three times in Ballymena now and everytime get the new reg there and then, tax book arrives 2 weeks later.

avo5021

RMS Regular
Hurry up as i understand the NI reg'n will be changing in the near future to the GB style/format....

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Depends where you're taxing it as i was taking the forms into Belfast but wanted a Fermanagh plate i think it was, but they didnt have access or the rights to let me know anything about that side and what my new plate would be, Belfast could only tell me some other regions which is weird :confounded: Probably be the same for the opposite way around.

But what Stevie says is 100% otherwise (y)

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Hurry up as i understand the NI reg'n will be changing in the near future to the GB style/format....

What prefix will they have ? Is that because they are ditching the tax offices here and the heap is going to Swansea ? Or was that shelved ?

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
I dont think the tax offices will be going anywhere :confounded: Well not the main ones anyway?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I dont think the tax offices will be going anywhere :confounded: Well not the main ones anyway?

Was there not talk a couple of years ago about many of them shutting up, and even the main stuff being handled at Swansea ?

avo5021

RMS Regular
Most of it is handled by Swansea already, licences are now issued and printed by Swansea, I've had it from staff in Coleraine that all business will be transferred in the not to distant future

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
What way does this work nowadays? I just bought an English car but not a fan of the number plate. Can I still get it registered to an NI plate?

Also what are the current Prefixes for each region, and the 1st of the 4 numbers.

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
What way does this work nowadays? I just bought an English car but not a fan of the number plate. Can I still get it registered to an NI plate?

Also what are the current Prefixes for each region, and the 1st of the 4 numbers.
send v5 off to dvla and enclose a covering letter asking to be issued a NI plate. That's what they told me on the phone.

DMC 4087

RMS Regular
Thread bump. Regarding the cover letter, would anybody know if it's just a case of one line asking for an NI reg, or do I need to add some guff explaining why I want it changed? Thanks

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
Is it possible to ask for an NI registration around the year of manufacture of the car or will it be the latest reg in the sequence?

Typically they are issued the current place however you could request a plate from the year of Manufacture. Unsure how accommodating they would be.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
Is it possible to ask for an NI registration around the year of manufacture of the car or will it be the latest reg in the sequence?

@Coog got an age related plate for his Metro by sending in a letter to the DVLNI

niallspence

RMS Regular
Drives
ST RS/FN2/GsxR
Has anybody done this very recently? Just bought an English reg car and the plate looks horrific! Want to change it to NI plate, preferably from year of manufacture. Can it be done online and is there a charge?