Reality of EV...

davyk31

RMS Regular
Got it from Mark Quinn Electrical MQE. Nice guys and a good tidy installation. Was something around £1k from memory.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Do you have solar panels and who installed it? Any warranty?

Who did u get it off, who installed it and how much? Lol

No solar panels, no. Installed by CC Electrical, I put it inside our internal garage near the door - CC Electrical. The unit itself is new so fully warrantied, there's a short-term warranty on the install.

1689756148331.png

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
Hang it on a peg? 😇

Just a matter of what works out best I guess. Or how easy it is to swap cable if you change car or get another one. Or whatever. Swings and roundabouts and all that.

You definitely want a dedicated cable for the charger though.
All current models throughout UK and EU use the Type 2 charger and I very much doubt that's going to change anytime soon (think USB). But if for some reason it did, it's just a case of having a spark change the cable, or potentially just the connector on the end if the cabling is the same.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
All current models throughout UK and EU use the Type 2 charger and I very much doubt that's going to change anytime soon (think USB). But if for some reason it did, it's just a case of having a spark change the cable, or potentially just the connector on the end if the cabling is the same.

You'd still need to add an adaptor for an untethered unit as well. It's not really an argument for one or the other but was the main reason I was given for choosing untethered when I looked into it a few years ago.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
USB is a great example - they're onto what, version 6 or 7 by now of that? 😇 And that's before getting into combinations and permutations, Apple specials, etc., lol.

Wouldn't bet on the current charge cables staying forever, they've gone through a couple different ones already. But as you say, not really that strong a reason for going one way or another perhaps. By the time a new cable comes along they probably expect more power or something too, and then the whole lot will have to be replaced anyway. Bit like USB C 😇🙈

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
USB is a great example - they're onto what, version 6 or 7 by now of that? 😇 And that's before getting into combinations and permutations, Apple specials, etc., lol.

Wouldn't bet on the current charge cables staying forever, they've gone through a couple different ones already. But as you say, not really that strong a reason for going one way or another perhaps. By the time a new cable comes along they probably expect more power or something too, and then the whole lot will have to be replaced anyway. Bit like USB C 😇🙈
I would say there has been at least 10 different USB connectors, but it's only recently they have been standardised across Europe with Apple being the last to be forced into using them.

I don't imagine Type 2 will last for ever, more may or may not be a driving point in that, though Type 2 is currently outputting over 100kw on rapid chargers. If and when it does change, there will be millions of public chargers needing updated. At the moment there are about 500k public chargers in the EU and 45k in the UK. That's a whole lot of upgrading to be doing whilst still having to facilitate the 'older' charge types.